Forums > Social Chat > Best British Comedy Ever!

Login/Join to Participate

THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIREmember
192 posts

Posted:
This is a very hard question (it has fueled many heated nights at the pub!)

what is the best ever british comedy out of:

Monty Python
Blackadder
Falty Towers
Only Fools and Horses

for me its a toss up between Monty Python and Blackadder

what about you???

[ 29 August 2002, 02:31: Message edited by: THE UNITED CHAINS OF FIRE ]

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
HEEELLLLOOOOO DAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVEEEEEE

YOURRRR MY WIFE NOWWWW.

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
This is a local thread for local people

I prefer Monty Python, closely followed by Blackadder, then Fawlty Towers.
I'm not a great fan of Only Fools and Horses, except for the episode when they dress up as batman and robin

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
I was watchin a repeat of Only Fools, in which Jumbo an old business pardner of Del's returns from Australia, He is talking to del over a beer about how the Uk is old hat and Del should go down under with him , and Lo and behold Del launchs into a fullon political propaganda ranton "How a jumped up little Argie had thoughts like that..."
Quite topical when you think about how the Falklands was the war on at the time.
Only Fools... isn't quite as timeless as I once thought.

The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.-- Ken Kesey

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
Fuck guys, I'm sorry, but it's gotta be Only Fools.

I can't get enough of dat working-class british humour! Problee coz I grew up surrounded by it .

AAah.. Del Boy n Rodders..

"monge too senor, monge too!"

That Show started the year I was born. Think I've bin watchin it ever since I was able. Twas so sad when it finished.. *sniff*

Az abouve, So below...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Monty Python, and then Falty Towers (yes, I like British comedy).

But saying "better than Monty Python" is like saying "better than Nutella."

*ducks and runs*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Tell you wot though the Royal family made me cringe, only fools was bearable but super bleak working class comedy brings back too many painfull memories of having one parka between 4 children and having lard for dinner the day after we cooked sausages... OOOOOOhhhhh Memory Sweeeeeeet Memory......
Like Mike Leigh films, he's a barrel of laffs propa. and that other depressing dude...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
League of Gentlemen is, without a doubt, the funniest thing I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

Are we nearly there yet?

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I know they ain't on the list, but my favourites right now are Black Books & the Book Group...

V. funny

(& my favourites on the list are Blackadder, then the python...)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Mentioning Monty Python when mentioning best Britcoms is redundant (it's like those 'best writers of all time' lists they never mention Shakespeare as he is already considerd, hands down, the greatest writer ever.

So it really comes down to a toss up between Blackadder and The Young Ones. Well not really a toss up as The Young Ones is about the the funniest f*cking show I have ever seen.

"I'm so bored I might as well be listening to Genesis....." - Rick

Jesus helps me trick people.

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
I love English comedy! Its sooo good! says the nzer...ahhh well...
These are all v. good i think:
Monty Python
Blackadder
Faulty Towers
Black Books

theres this new program on at the moment, i don't think its english but its soooo funny! Its called "Baddiel's Syndrom" (i think thats the spelling).
Luv & huggies
Fwirl

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
What about Sean's Show, and Bottom? Can't forget Ab Fab either....

But yes, Sickpuppy is right - Monty Python hands down.....

and there was much rejoicing. yaaay

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
Game On.
Pure comedy

MaDMouSeFiReBoYmember
49 posts

Posted:
...Dont touch the precious things!!!!!

Top giggles for the firemouse go out to ...

MONTY PYTHON
BRASS EYE (WHY OH WHY DID THEY BAN IT???)
LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN
THE GOODIES
TW3 (THIS WAS THE WEEK THAT WAS)
RUSS ABBOTTS MADHOUSE (JOKING!!!)

P.S. I know why they banned Brass Eye, just think it was a real shame!

...."and the verdict on Science, is it good or bad??? Im sorry M'lord, there is no verdict as the entire jury have died from pollution"!!!

CLASSIC!!!

MMFB

Distorted sex drive in space was already known to be a sticky knoblem - BRASS EYE

Wikkamanmember
259 posts

Posted:
...thousands of people are now addicted to the drug Cake...

Trippie HippieBRONZE Member
old hand
733 posts

Posted:
for me it goes like this

Monty Python
Falty Towers
Blackadder
Only Fools and Horses

Trippie Hippie- Monty Dons secret love child

Fly like a mouse, run like a pillow, be the small book case.

"Last night i met some pixies and we danced around a stone".

Because dressing up is fun.

SarahMmember
10 posts

Posted:
Wisest is he/she who knows they know nothing at all - these are the people who maintain the sense of wonder that we are all born with.

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
i LOOOOVE monty python!!!!! and blackadder!!!! i think i need to get through my videos again... and again... and again...
has anyone here heard about EDDIE IZZARD?? my god, he's SOOOOO good even john cleese said he is the funniest man in britain... if you like british comedy, you'll love him.

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
monty python is definitly the ultimate british comedy!!
blackadder, the young ones (& bottom - not as good as young ones!),red dwarf, fawlty towers!
x

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
saBBas - ure so right! eddie izzard is one of the funniest men alive!!!!
don't ever get tired of him! would love to see him live!

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Ohh it's a tough one......................there are sooo many to choose from...errrrrrr

"you heard the man tubs, get undressed!"

I guess you have to see it to get it.

Wikkaman I'm with you on this one, League of Gentlemen is by far the best (dark) Brit comedy that's been made in a while.

Anyone know when the next series is on?

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

orangemember
158 posts

Posted:
spike milligan
the goons - now neddy now
morecambe and wise - kitchen sketch
monty pythonees aflyhing acirricus
the fast show
question time
blue jam,the day today and brass eye
-car drives past shop window
-as they show video of car driving past shop window -genius - straight newsreader face
blackadder-i av a plan milord
tommy cooper
the harry enfield show
my mums fave was only fools and horses - makes me smile

i found out recently that smiling releases chemicals into the brrain to aid happiness
-so the more you smile the more happy you feel

i've not had a t.v. for 4 years - as it gets in the way of creating..so anyone who's been collecting funnies -on video and extends an invite will get a happy orange well stocked this month with biscuits and cakes

long hugs all

p.s. a tiger ? ...in africa?

swoopedinandswoopedoutagain...orange...xxx...

192 posts

Posted:
wasnt only the paedophile (look people...i spelt it correctly!) episode banned?

I don't dance. I move to music - Some dumb schmuck, Blue Peter 16/9/02-------------------This morning, I sat on the TV and I watched the Sofa

Alliemember
30 posts

Posted:
I love things like red dwarf (Mr Flibble is feeling very angry) and black books was cool

I think the list for me is only fools followed closely by fawlty towers with the others about the same

And yes I think it was just the one brass eye that was banned - but then they showed clips of it on every news programme and every programme about controvertial TV (seems rather ironic to me!)

Raphael96SILVER Member
old hand
899 posts

Posted:
There are a few funny British shows you missed.
Ab Fab, New Statesman and (yes I know he is considered naf, but..) Benny Hill have all made me chuckle over the years.

From your list, though, Blackadder shines through.

"To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?"

Of course, Flasheart is another favorite.

Raph

...by name, Raph by nature.

192 posts

Posted:
WOOF!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
None of y'all liked "The Young Ones"?! Damn. They still make me giggle.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I loved the young ones!!! Rick was always my favourite such a socially inept loser, I totally identified with him...

I just got a video of the first series of Black Books, and am watching it over & over. Love the episode where Manny drinks too much coffee and pretends to be a detective.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...