Forums > Help! > 5 beat weaves and reverse weaves

Login/Join to Participate

cainebabymember
32 posts

Posted:
i'm so frustraited, can anyone help, i'm finding it impossible to do reverse and 5 beat weaves. i've had a few people show me, i've been trying to do it for a couple of months and seemed to have hit a barrier with this. can anyone recomend some sites with good demonstraitions?

what kind of victory is it when someone is left defeted?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Try here Mots Place and Coley's site .
Good luck...... once you click and get it you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

leggylassnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Ill pass on what someone told me to do, and it worked. Close your eyes! Its the only way I could do backwards weave for a start meditate

Turn out the lights and lets glow...

Phat JBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
Well from a guy point of view just shove some padding in your trousers and "Go For It"
The poi spinning book by Michael Mann (I think that's his name, helped me no end) Although I'm still struggling with the reverse 5 beat (Crash helmet I guess)
Good Luck

When faced with the inevitable, you MUST face the inevitable.

"The All Nighter"
surf film with that girl from The Bangles.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Michal Kahn, maybe? Michael Mann is a director.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Phat JBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
You're absolutley correct it was getting way past my bedtime and I couldn't be bothered to look it is available via HOP for a very reasonable £11.71 https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/listItems.php/fire/15/poi/293/detail/Books

BTW Michael Mann....he directed "The Last of the Mohicans"
Whic I personally think was fantastic and after just checking on the internet it would appear he produced Miami Vice... Interesting piece of trivia.
You wait, I bet it comes up on a quiz one day and someone will have me to thank...

Phat J

Who wants to be a millionaire donations gladly accepted via Pay Pal or cash.

"The All Nighter"

cainebabymember
32 posts

Posted:
I did it! i can do the five neat weave! it was sooooo hard to master! still can't do reverse weaves, but at least now i have more incentive to carry on! thanx to you who sent me tips they all helped xxxxxxxxxx hug

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
heh, when i first learned the weave, about every fifth time going into it i'd smack myself squarely in the groin ubblol tongue

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
How manydifferents threads does everyone reckon there are for people who cant learn the 5beat?

rolleyes

I reckon there are squillions of them.

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
and it's so nice you guys keep stepping right up to help eveytime sunny thankx

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I also think there should only be one definitive thread for 5 beats, stuck to the top of the poi moves section.

Otherwise its just eating up bandwidth to say the exact same things everytime.

smile

But many people have also said this....
and there stillisnt one as it only happnes once in a while.

Its the same with all the reoccurring threads that keep popping up. Having only one thread for each stuck to the top of each board has also been suggested but still no result.

I really do wonder why that is.......

umm

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Jon for Mod! lolsign

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
1 down, 15482 to go.

wink

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
the lessons section on HoP show you fairly well how to do the 5bt weave,check it out.i learned it from there.

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Nucleopoi

the lessons section on HoP show you fairly well how to do the 5bt weave,check it out.i learned it from there.

So did I, eventually. But it took about 6 months.

What I'm saying is, if you can see how to do it, then it's just a matter of (loads of) practice. And the animation in the HoP lessons lets you see how to do it.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Ah-ha, well now. Reverse weave is easy peasy. With forward weave, your leading hand goes 'over the top' as you go from side to side (when going to your right, your left hand crosses over the top of your right hand and vice versa), right?

Well to reverse weave, start off in forward weave, turn around, and instead of going over the top, your leading hand should go underneath the other

Any good?.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

NucleopoiBRONZE Member
chemical attraction
1,097 posts

Posted:
it depends which method you find easiest to follow.i find it hard to do things when its explained to me,i prefer to see it in action.try to find the method that suits you and learning moves will become easier wow

cainebabymember
32 posts

Posted:
i can do it reversed now aswell! i learn best by watching people do moves then immotaiting them. reading and watching it on the internet helps, but it's not the same.

i'm moving to BTB stuff now, where do i go after this tho? what moves are left? and just how far can you go with poi? maybe i'll try move contact poi, bit hard if it's on fire tho! worth a try!

Phat JBRONZE Member
46 posts

Posted:
Cainebaby, have you nailed 5 beat reverse weave or 3 beat reverse?
Good luck with BTB, I'm trying but I haven't really given it much of a go yet, I think it's like any move with poi "go for it, ignore the pain and persevere" eventually they come off and then your body relaxes as you do it without thinking, then you don't feel shattered after only a few minutes as your body is not all tense trying to concentrate.
One point another poister said earlier which is a great point to make, close your eyes, if you have a personal stereo (or iPod like myself) plug it in and find some good music to chill out too it makes learning so much easier.

Good Luck keep at it.

I'm waiting to try my new christmas presents, double headed fire poi and fire juggling balls, just waiting for better weather.

"The All Nighter"

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Apparently peeps can whack out a 7-beat weave, I cant see how without tying yourself in a knot ubbloco but i assume they could prob do 7 beats in reverse and both directions BTB too, but I think you have to be a real legend...like the "Anikin Skywalker of Pois"!

PS. Watch your head when doing BTB!

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
7 beat with wrist wraps is pretty straight forward and can look nice but the arm pretzel 7 beat is downright ugly. I still remember the first time I saw a 9 beat video and thought: what kind of person would even want to learn something that disfiguring. smile

BTB 5 beat with wraps is about as difficult as the normal BTB 5 beat but turning that into a BTB 7 beat is still beyond me. Anyone have a video link to a BTB 7 beat?

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok