Page:
arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
This is just a friendly note to help out our new (within the past six months) hoppers.

When replying to, or begining a topic, please take note that this is an international website with people from all parts of the globe. We are mainly an English speaking Community, however, English may not be somebodies first language. Please take the time to read over your own posts before posting and please refrain from using what is commonly refered to as "MSN Speak" or even "Quick SMS".

What I mean by this is quick references such as 'ur' for you are or you're, skool for school, and etc.

If we can all just take a little time, it will make it easier for all in the long run.

Thanks. hug

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

melonBRONZE Member
Inept Cock
162 posts

Posted:
01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01101110 01101111 00100000 01100111 01101111 01101111 01100100 00100000 01110101 01101110 01101100 01100101 01110011 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01110011 01110000 01100101 01100001 01101011 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01100001 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01100101

im alan partridge........AHA!

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
In that case I must be a machine wink

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

melonBRONZE Member
Inept Cock
162 posts

Posted:
u must be to read that ubblol

im alan partridge........AHA!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Written by: melon

u must be to read that ubblol

Methinks someone has missed the point of this thread. tongue smile

Could we all also make an effort with punctuation? Please? It just sucks, me having to add it all in my head to make it make sense smile
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1119284074)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
yeah, its really hard to try to make sense of a long string of words without proper punctuation. i'm not talking about being completely anal, just the odd comma and full stop for it to make sense. smile

_FSA_now comes with skydiving license
1,627 posts

Posted:
um sorry all you non-english-speaking-people.....ill try not to use the text speak in future....can i still use multiple full stops like this......and these !!! and these ???? or not??? ooops there i go again.....i can't help it i tell you. ha ha ha i did it, i didn't use lots of full stops.....oops again

Proudly owned by the very cute Pineapple Pete. Owner of Noddy. Joint owner of Mr Majestik.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
it's scary when romanians use sms shorthand in their messages...combine sms writing with broken english...sometimes me and my friend have to conferr about what was trying to be said!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
just to make an addition some poeple actually think you spell words in the shorthand term as they know no better and are not able to spell. so if there is someone who uses shorthand find out first if they can actually spell or otherwise you might offend some people people who arent as intelligent as alot of us here

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
There is a spellcheck that people can check their posts with.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Urmmmmm... opinions of English-as-a-second-language people?
What annoys me most about the whole text speak- and spelling-thing and lack of grammar is that people just don't seem to care about it. People who don't speak English as their first language have to learn every word and how it's spelled, and if I don't know how to spell something I usually look it up because I'm a bit self-conscious about making mistakes. And then you get all those English-speakers who just slaughter their language and don't even bother to click on "check spelling". It's a bit disencouraging sometimes wink Not meaning to slag off anyone who has spelling problems, that's what the spellcheck button is there for smile

As for translation services, I wouldn't rely on one even if a post was perfect for spelling and grammar. What they give you is usually quite far off the original meaning.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I think a lot of people's problems comes down to them not knowing their way round a keyboard, so it can be quicker for them to miss out capitalisation and punctuation.

To be honest a lot of it is down to English schools, which to be honest are f***ing pathetic when it comes to things like basic language skills, and computer use.

People who speak English as a second language seriously put us to shame in some cases, as they can have such a good grasp of syntax and grammar.

English is supposed to be easy to learn, but it has a such huge vocabulary that most people speaking it as a second language will always have problems with words they haven't heard before. Also it has so many local variations that it can be unintelligible between different locations, even if it is your first language.

Throw in things like abbreviations like don't, can't, I'll, etc., and acronyms like tbh, imho, iirc, and things get even harder to understand, even without all the problems that metaphors cause, as they are very specific to location and culture, and can't really be translated easily.

Being an aspie my English is supposed to be very well structured and lacking in metaphor. It's a social communication disorder, which makes starting and maintaining relationships next to impossible. The only times I've been in relationships has been with French and Japanese women, as it's actually easier for me to communicate with someone who's English has been taught. That and I consciously simplify my English and give several variations when I talk to someone who's speaking it as a second language. My French girlfriend said to me that I was the only person among my group of friends that she could understand.

The translation services can work reasonably well, but you have to convert the translated text back to your own language, to see if it's got the right translation. I used to spend hours running stuff through a Japanese translator, trying to get the right meaning accross.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
*bumpitybump*

Seems txt chat/msn speak or whatnot is on the rise again...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

Urmmmmm... opinions of English-as-a-second-language people?

so far the only one whose posted has said that he understands txtspk just as well as ordinary english.

for the record, i continue not to care about abbreviation\creative spelling.
My goat is still gotten far more by pedantry and issue-hunting.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP

AND PLEASE DO A SEARCH TOO!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I think the age old problem of newbies not searching is going to keep happening.

New people will not know which threads there already are, and if they are like me when I started, will not search for a thread a) because they dont know just how many threads there already are and b) because they dont know how much it irritates the rest of us old people.

But getting worked up about it becuase someone doesnt know is just pointless.

shrug

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
smirks and directs ucof to the *sorry I posted three threads the same thread*

what were you saying about getting worked up? ubblol tongue tongue tongue tongue

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I thought that as soon as I posted it. ubblol
But theres a difference between getting worked up...
and getting irritated and staying silent ......
as I know it would do no good in the long run and newbies would still post duplicate threads....

tongue

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to bump this theard as we are always continuing to have more and more hoppers joining. And to also have others made aware of the [Old link] and some threads such as [Old link] and [Old link] that have been bought up so often, but alot of the new hoppers are unaware of. wink

Thanks. biggrin

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Any chance of making one of these a sticky topic..or would that not really help?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Page: