Forums > Other Toys > Success with hoop. Thank you

Login/Join to Participate

Lillie Frognot a stranger
558 posts

Posted:
I have mentioned on a couple of other threads that when I was a kid I could hula hoop, but now I couldn't, and I didn't know why.

Well it was cos my hoop was wrong. Too small, too light.

I made one today out of alkathene. It's big, it has a bit of weight to it.

I can hoop with it.

Happy happy hoopy me. biggrin

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave me encouragement and suggestions.

Especially Glitter Girl who sent me PMs and E-mails, and told me exactly the kind of pipe I should use to make it and how big it should be and how to use it.

Big thankyous

hug

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry
No one is ever what they seem
Gabriel King - The Wild Road

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Awesome. I found hooping this past summer and am obsessed (to the neglect of my poi, alas.) It really is so much fun, and great exercise. I work up such a sweat. And I've made a fire hoop, too, which is amazing. Best of luck to you and congrats in finding the right one.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: rbmnyc

I found hooping this past summer and am obsessed

THERE'S the understatement of the year. wink

I love my hoop. It's pretty and blueish greenish. And makes me smile. hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

558 posts

Posted:
Yeah, hooping's fun.
I love it.

My hoop is blue, cos of the pipe I made it out of.
But I'm thinking of painting it.
Pretty colours.
biggrin

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'd definitely use tape, like RBM does, rather than paint. I think paint would rub off on cloting eventually.

biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

558 posts

Posted:
Thanks NYC, I'll remember that.
thankx

You can get some really pretty tape, especially at Christmas.

Eat when you're hungry
Sleep where it's dry

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
I use gaffer's tape ... it's cloth tape that they use on sets ... you can also use electrical tape ... regular paper tape will probably rip pretty quickly ...

I'm so pleased that NYC loves his hoop! And I'm so proud of him for figuring it out so quickly!!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
for those of you in to hooping
check out
www.hooping.org
its fab.
missie

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

majikenthusiast
231 posts

Posted:
Congrats Lillie Frog!! hug2wow
Glad to have another hooper in the mix. Welcome to the art of hula hoops. Experiment and have heaps of fun. bounce
ubblovemajik
beerchughere's to happy hooping!

Live, love, laugh and dance!

KupschSILVER Member
163 posts

Posted:
hey there, i want to make a hoop but just dont know where to start!!! also i feel so lonely noone in the uk let alone scotland seems to be into it!! am i really all by myself?? heeelllpp!!! how do u know if u need extra weight or what not??

glittergirlnewbie
18 posts

Posted:
Ms. Frog:
I'm so glad you're hooping it up! here's some resources: hooprevolution (dot) com -- that is Hoopalicious' site. she is the most amazing hoop performer i've seen so far.

also, if you're looking for tape for your hoop, check out identi-tape (dot) com. they have a great selection and for a good price.

to that other person not knowing where to start, get a length of 160 PSI tubing from a local garden care place, get a connector, use a hairdryer to heat the tube, stick the connector in it (after heating the end for ease of entry) and tape it and you have an adult size hoop. the length of tubing should probably be 10-12 feet, depending on yoru height. best way to measure is to make it round and have it come up to somewhere between your belly button and nipple line.

hth,
GlitterGirl

'Grace' is not demonstrated when things are going well; rather, when things aren't what you expected...

isa "glittergirl" isaacs
founder, temple of poi

peles_paynimSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
for UV fun wrap your hoop with flourescent duct tape...it comes in several colors...and yes hoopoing.org is tits

real eyes
realize
real lies