Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Every lunch time I go into the high street to meet my friends and it's always really busy. I don't mind having to move slowly and move out of the way of people but when there is a moment when you are obviously do the gentlemenly act of letting someone pass and go out of your way to do it, why do some people never even smile or mutter a thank you for this?

I think that this is probably the single most annoying part of my day and although I'm normally extremely patient, this is one part of my life that wears at me constantly. And to be honest 80% of the time it's women that do it.

Does anyone else get this a lot too? Does anyone have any advice to help me deal with this? I think I need help before I go utterly bonkers at the next person to do it.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Come walk the streets of London City me old mucker.
Then you'll run back to Jersey and kiss the sidewalks.

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
lol , I know you're probably right, but do you just get numb eventually? I can handle in when I'm in London and other big cities because it's all part of it but over here it's just plain ignorance.

And come on smallboy, it's pavements, not sidewalks! Tut tut tut!

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I get that a lot, so if the really annoy me I just say VERY LOUDLY "That's OK" or "My Pleasure", "Glad to have been of service" etc.

If they piss me off, it's more like "Of course I'll get out of your way sir/madam, how rude of me to have been here in the first place" followed by "WANKER!!".

All dripping with sarcasm.

3 years of commuting to london can really make a person jaded, I even had the joy of using Victoria station each morning followed by the tube to Tottenham Court Road.

Wow even just remembering it has put me in an agitated mood, grr.

After a couple of years I stopped with the courtesy I just walk round people now, that's quite a good game actually.

*quickly applies brakes to both fingers and brain, whilst leaving thread for a while*

*Oh, just for a minute,* my bed said.
"Don't lie to me," I grumbled.
*But you're so tired...*

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Wow maybe thats whats wrong with Europe!!!

In America its a politle wave of the finger and a F^(*& you!! None of that sir or madom crap!!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
'manners maketh man' Ray, that's what we get taught in Europe!

DarkFairyQueenmember
557 posts

Posted:
eeee!

I hate that too

Somtimes you just have to drop the politeness and let THEM walk around you.

FecK-thE-FeCKin-fEKerS!

Az abouve, So below...

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I am with Sub , I usually over-do teh polite thing so much so taht they feel ridiculous themselves... but I never call them "wanker" though .... maybe cause they wouldn't understand english

And usually I always come up with something absolutely hilarious and sarcastic to say ... but usually a few minutes or hours *after* it happens though ...

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Europe, ehh go figure. Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way!! Thats the way most look at it

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pyrophile
and go out of your way to do it, why do some people never even smile or mutter a thank you for this?
Ask yourself, do you only do this to get a smile... or do you do this because... it's the gentlemenly thing to do... Relax a bit and do let the people go... if their in a rush to get to the end so quickly... let them.

quote:
Originally posted by pyrophile
I think that this is probably the single most annoying part of my day
If this it the most annoying part of your day... consider yourself lucky...

quote:
Originally posted by small boy
Come walk the streets of London City me old mucker
Oh no... I know what you guys do to dust bins over there... (Bill Hicks... tee hee... )

quote:
Originally posted by DarkFairyQueen
eeee!
oooo!

--------------------

Non-Https Image Link

[ 12 July 2002, 04:00: Message edited by: Arsn ]

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra And usually I always come up with something absolutely hilarious and sarcastic to say ... but usually a few minutes or hours *after* it happens though ...
And this is why I use an expletive (swear word) after being polite, saves me think "rats, should have said,........"

I just wanted to show off my new sig

*But you're so tired...*

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
The freaky thing is Sub... I'm wearing a shirt which says that very same sig... freaky... no no... no camera... hmmm...

----------------

Non-Https Image Link

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
ROFLMAO@Sub's signature ...

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
maybe they just 'see' u...i mean when i am in a hurry i don't even notice people i KNOW if they don't jump me and say hi.
but i do get smiles quite often...hmm come to think of it it's always females u step aside make eye contact and exchange a smile...quite pleasant...never had a guy do that though....hmmmm one of lives great mysteries methinks

Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I was interviewing at Columbia University Medical School in New York.

Now, being Midwestern born and raised, if I bump into someone, I always pardon myself. But in New York, bumping shoulders with others is just a fact of life. So here I was, a mass of "I beg your pardon"s, "'scuse me"s, and "sorry"s and my friends who I had met there said "don't apologize whenever you bump someone. It's a fact of life here, they already know you didn't mean it."

I could never live there...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

lollipurple penguin- soon to be
478 posts
Location: playing with the pixies at the arsse end of the mi...

Posted:
no i must admit, that though living in london has got me immune to rudeness of ppl walking down streets, i still dont understand how a perfectly nice and normal person cant turn into the biggest moron when walkuing into a shop.

ok id admit i know working in a costume shop means youve got to put up with ppl pissing about, which is fun and dandy, but when theres signs all over the place saying * no cameras allowed* i still dont understand why ppl feel its ok to have a huge screaming rant at you for telling them to put it away. . .for the 3rd time!!! grrrrrr mumble mumble

*all is calm. . all is fluffy*
sorry needed release

My spelling wobbles. its very good spelling but it wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong place

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Aww, London isn't that bad. You just need to make a game out of it.
I use Murder In The Dark

And besides, it could be much worse, you could live in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangcock or Beijing.

[ 12 July 2002, 11:34: Message edited by: SickpuPpy ]

Jesus helps me trick people.

Celestemember
48 posts

Posted:
Well, I seem to have quite the opposite problem here. Birmingham (Alabama, not England) maybe the largest city in the state, but after growing up in Dallas and Colorado Springs it's not that big to me, and has a lot of small town qualities. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the laid back attitude of this town but it gets fairly annoying to be slowed down by people when I'm trying to get some where (it seems that everything is slower here to me still and I have lived here for years). One of the nicest things about the south is that everyone (usually) is very nice...but man can they talk! People here will stop and chat with just about anyone sometimes, or perhaps it's only when I am in a hurry...or I only notice when I'm in a hurry.

Life is serious, but art is fun!

Celestemember
48 posts

Posted:
but I do always say thank you if someone makes room for me...

Life is serious, but art is fun!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my sweetheart has just returned from london, and... I was saddened that she felt people were rude to her. We both agreed that it was just the people she met, and that a few days in a country is by no means a comprehensive experience from which a definitive assertion be made. plus she was wearing me stinky beany. Actually the more I think aboot it, the more I think it cursed.
/mental note to wash clothes.
to pryophile, i say reassert you r love of humanity - go into the bush for a few days every now n then. periodic escape from the fuken rat race will do you great good in surviving it! you know you want to!
hurried people imposing themselves - what difference does this all make? they will 'gain' a few minutes and 'lose' their dignity in the process. they are the ones fooling themselves that they will be happier (or is that less unhappy?) if they make that deadline, in a perpetual race to the end of their lives. I say if that what makes them happy, let them have their hurry. If you don't enjoy the journey that is life, how *can* you be happy? sometimes i like to be late if it meant i could look at purty trees n sunsets n stuff on the way. How shitty would I feel if i was in my deathbed looking back at my life and thought "damn, I should enjoyed that ride more - all that fretting did very little good for the unhappiness it caused!"

quote:
"The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride..." ......And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one."

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Yeah even little old Perth, western australia, is becoming less and less friendly. Except fremantle of course. Nearly everyone's cool in freo! Two years ago myself and a random guy on amphetamines started a sing along on the bus (route 99 from freo) and a heap of people joined in. I thought it was fucken great but it embarressed the hell out of my girlfriend. Cant please everyone. sigh.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

chairmenmeow47member
81 posts

Posted:
when lightbug and i ventured to disneyland two years ago, we had a very funny rude experience.

we were walking along main street just before the parade was scheduled to begin. there were people sitting ALL over the curb. there were no open spaces where people could walk through. so we started walking towards a curb, when the man sitting on it goes, "no!"
i just said "excuse me" and walked towards him.
he breathed allowed heavily and said, "i can't believe it" and lightbug walked by him too.
we laughed. we were amazed that anybody could be that irratated at DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!! i swear, some peoples children! there was also a man arguing with his wife yelling "i just want a soda!" jeez! if you can't be happy at DISNEYLAND, then you must be living a very depressing, stressed out life. i wish people would stop freaking out over things they can't control! and letting eat at them, and yes, i have been a victim to this myself. but there's enough to worry about without spreading the irratation to everyone else. i'm always complimented for smiling at my customers, it makes a huge difference in how my workday goes. being pleasent with others goes a long way... end rant.

-ivy. = ^ )

Ralph, jesus did not have wheels.--sunday school teacher, the simpsons

chairmenmeow47member
81 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
I am with Sub , I usually over-do teh polite thing so much so taht they feel ridiculous themselves... but I never call them "wanker" though .... maybe cause they wouldn't understand english

i TOTALLY agree! when i used to work drive-thru fast food restraunts, i would always be overly energetic and polite on the speakers.
"HELLO! WELCOME TO SONIC! HOW MAY I HELP YOU ON THIS FINE EVENING?"
at least i could always get a laugh out of people....

-ivy. = ^ )

Ralph, jesus did not have wheels.--sunday school teacher, the simpsons

Fwirl :pmember
76 posts

Posted:
Go to New Zealand. there is no such thing as a crowded street here!!! Just hippy gatherings!! lol.

Neo:Wow, that sounds like a really good deal, but I have a better one. How about I give you the finger and you give me my phone call?

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
@ Arsn:

Just to let you know, I don't ever do these things for receiving thanks, it's natural for me to do this without thinking, but societies improve with a mutual exchange of respect and manners, and isn't it a nice feeling when you help someone, they are grateful, and you both go about your normal day with a smile? I agree that perhaps I'm taking it to heart a bit too much, and my problems could be worse, from now on I'm going to let these things just roll over me more, or I'll rise above it.

When I go travelling I'll get to finally shrug off these western traits, and I'll definitely have no regrets when I'm relaxing in Northern Indo or somewhere similar, away from shitty weather and rude people!

BTW, WHERE CAN I GET THAT T-SHIRT WITH SUBS SIG ON? IT HAD ME IN PISS FITS THIS MORNING AT WORK!!!

Cheers for all your advice and stories HOPers...

IdubIHoP Lurker
272 posts

Posted:
I think I should say that my insulting people who are impolite is a 'straw that broke the camels back' reaction.

Or in English, 'when I've had enough', it's usualy just bad luck for the person that gets verbally abused.

The easiest way to get a t-shirt with my sig on would be to go to a shop that will print t-shirts for you, or a website.

Arsn - that is quite scary,

*But you're so tired...*