Forums > Social Chat > rant! poiing and other poiers

Login/Join to Participate

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
ok so this happened the other day so i'm not so mad about it now but the other day i (me and others) went to a camp thing for the day and when it got dark desided to do some (fire) poi, and while we were doing it there where some other poiers and i got really bad vibes from them.
like they were thinking they were propper poiers and i was just another "fast3beatweaver" (or whatever) trying to show off.
and that really p'd me off and i felt like saying rrarfgfghgfarr or something, not so much now though because i know i'm not a "f3bw" and i don't have to justify myself to them!!!!!!

ok so if i had done this the other day it would have been a much more flavorfull thread but i'm not so angry now and a bit bored but what yeh gonna do eh?

i know it dosn't matter what other people think so i'm not going to get worked up about it (again).

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, about the only time I would give someone attitude is if I was doing a real performance (either paid or at the request of the party host or whatever) and other peeps came in to edge in on the show with their stuff. And this would be regardless of their ability level. Every please be respectful of other performers if they are doing a formal show!

Otherwise I love having other poiers around and don't care what skill level they have.

I actually find that people who do give attitude tend to be insecure about their ability. I never met anyone who was really good that was particularly snotty unless they were just plain having a bad day (anyone is allowed those!). If you get so good at something, you must love it, right? And the people who love it most usually want to share the love.

I'm fortunate that my skill level is good enough that I can pretty much immediatly disarm anyone who does give an attitude.

One thing I'll rant about along these lines though is fire performers at Burningman! I swear - i a place where nearly everyone you meet is as cool as you could possibly imagine, for some reason the fire performers you see just randomly performing in the middle of the playa tend to be total buttheads! And again, they usually don't have the skill level to back up their attitude, because if they did they probably wouldn't be such twerps to begin with.

Don't get me wrong - there are hordes of good fire performers at burningman with good attitudes, but for some reason they are a lot less obvious than the jerks who probably aren't that numberous but rather just high profile.

So maybe the lesson here is that people who are being show-offs about their spinning and give negative vibes aren't really worth your time - they problably don't have anything to teach you and won't make particularly good friends anyway.

Forget about 'em!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

1,972 posts

Posted:
forget about who?

The Phyreflyjourneyman
81 posts

Posted:
hey- i say everybody has their own style & if people can't handle that. then i say screw 'em cause all they want to do is make u feel small when they are small themselves. I say let the small people be small. You just do your thing.

fire is the light that shines in all of us. Be sure your light shines brightly wherever you go.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
If your good dont worry about what other people think, just spin, unless of course it is at someone else's performance, than it is a bad idea.

I dont like spinning around people, other than Amanda, coz I absolutely suck (I rarely spin) and so I feel embarrassed next to people who are brilliant at it.

But yeah, dont worry about what other people think, alot of the time they are jealous.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i can sorta spin, and i have my own style (although the london crew think i spin like smallboy) and when i go up to spin, at the meet that i run i dont get as much attention as the people spinning fast and furious.

but.... its my way of spinning, at the end of the day, i do poi because i love it, i have a passion for it. I gave up a sailing career for it, its my new life.

So dont worry about those fag-heads, just look around and enjoy your own space, your own vibe... its much better than worrying about them. Hey and if ur better than them, just go and ask them how to do somthing hard, that u blatently can do, but they cant... and watch them................enjoy your spinning, you spin for you and no one else.

I agree with Hanz, alot of people are jealous.

passing through, this world still lives.

1,972 posts

Posted:
hey thanks guy's, the other poiers didn't actually say anything but the vibes i was getting werent very nice ones.

anyway thats all behind me now.
EDITED_BY: fake teeth and glue (1094127443)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frodo

although the london crew think i spin like smallboy

not all of us think that smile

although if someone said that about me, i would consider it a *huge* compliment ubbrollsmile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Here in Holland, it's more relaxed than what I read in the above. If been at numerous (fantasy/folk) festivals/markets and everytime we have a little time over and room, then we're spinning and people come up and say: "hey, that's cool." And we notice that there are a lot of poi'ers and they come up and usually we end up in a giant circle, swapping tricks.

But the fact that I haven't met any buttheads is (I think) that the scene in Holland is very small.

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
i do belive its a compliment!

passing through, this world still lives.

efes spinnernewbie
15 posts

Posted:
I met a couple of ppl who were very good at reading festival last year but they reali annoyed me, not helpfull in the slightest and only content wiv showing me an everyone eles up.
I been spinning for a couple of years now and i no for a fact im nuffin special (not even in the slightest) but i reali dont care lol, im hectic an my poi dont alawys spin straight but i spin wiv my eyes closed most of the tyme lol. I spin to chill an ave a lil quite/ thinking (or non thinking) tyme ya no.
Im not dat comfortable spinning in front of ppl i dont no so if i was to encounetr someone like the pin heads you did ide prb get annoyed too...
Poi isnt a contest, morel of the story.
Hope all is going well for everyone,
Ahmet weavesmiley

To each der own as with all in life.