Forums > Technical Discussion > Spinn-off Buckets, Do you use one?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
A Spinn-off bucket is a way to concerve oil, as well as protect the ground.

It's basicly a paint can with a chain on the wire handle.
After you have douced your poi or staffs, you put them in the spinn-off bucket, an inch or two from the bottom. Holding the bucket chain with your poi/staff, spinn the hell out of them, and the bucket catches all of the oil. This keeps the grownd from getting oiled, and saves you oil for the next show. wink You will be surprized at how much oil you save... biggrin

Save the Earth one step at a time. wink

Peace and Blessings,

Fire Spirit

PS. With Staffs douce one side, spin off, then douce the other. This keeps oil from dripping down onto your staff wrap/ handle... But you probably already know this ubblol

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
i saw this in austria

using big rubber gloves you squeeeeze the extra oil out of your equipment. but this way you wont get all the extra off them so you still need to spin them a bit to get them dry before performing. but it works if you don't have a bucket or the time to prepare huge amounts of double staves or... something.

Point your toes.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I have a picture of mine but no room to post it in my gallery. Let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. Mine has a rope connected to the handel so you can spin the whole thing like one poi instead of tearing your shoulder off with a bucket handle.

Spin off buckets (or bottle in my case) work great, especially with my 4" loose wrap cathedrals. They soak up more fuel than they are meant to hold. wink

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

KatchGOLD Member
Beach bum
162 posts

Posted:
We use a large powdered juice screw top container. Just cut a hole on top large enough for the handles to get through. Put the poi in, screw it closed and spin until you think it's ready. smile

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
-Franklin P. Jones

squarefishSILVER Member
(...trusty steed of the rodeo midget...)
403 posts

Posted:
I'll be using one when I get to burning man,
Zero Impact and makes the fuel last longer wink

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I've used one of these a couple of times, and they're great! You save a lot of fuel and have a lot less mess. Very useful for everyone, essential for any professional, especially for indoor work.

NYC had one at the EJC which was a water bottle with a hole cut in the side for the wicks to go in, then a cut all the way to the neck for the chains to push through so they go through the neck. Dead simple. He's a clever bunny that NYC wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

wink

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
now thats pimp! biggrin

dont pois in the hood have a vid out on the net, in fact soem wee threaed on hop about spin off buckets, and how to use one,a nd how to save fuel?

yes i think they do

Step (el-nombrie)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Nick @ the venue.org has some clips poi and staff spin off buckets

Found by clicking right here

Love is the law.

boomer235SILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Hmm after about tearing my shoulder with the spinnoff bucket I am looking for alternatives.
Question: When you atttach a rope to the spinoff bucket do you stop the spin with your foot or something. Basically when I did this I stopped spinning off .. the bucket arced up and the fuel came spilling out. So how do you stop that??

Question: What kind of powdered juice container?? I need something big enough for 2.5 inch monkey fist.
Thanks
BooM weavesmiley

weavesmiley Spin cause ya' gotta!!

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Boomer I'll email you pictures when I get home. When you stop the spinning bucket you want to stall it, (stretch your arm out at the bottom of the swing) that way it doesn't hit anything or tip upsidedown. It's a bit of a trick in itself. The container in the picture is big enough for my 4" by 4" cathedrals so they should do the trick. smile

Cody Canon

boomer235SILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Sweet..
Look forward to those..
I didn't think I was doing any damage with the bucket.. so I spun off about 5 times with them.... but ohhh the next day.. I could barley spin at all wink
Duhh stall them. it will take some practice... but hell I have 2 weeks before Burning Man.
the pict will help Im sure. Thanks
BooM weavesmiley

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I'd email you but I can't find your email address in your profile confused

If your going to burningman come by the Fire Conclave Convergence camp and ask for me and I'll work with you on your stall if you'd like. Then you can see my spin off bucket in person to get a better idea. biggrin

Cody Canon

boomer235SILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
Ok.. added the email addy.. sorry about that.
Ill try to look U up at conclave.. but you know how that goes wink
BòóM

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
I just sent it to you Boomer235. If anyone else wants a picture of my spinoff bucket (watter bottle) let me know, I don't have enough room in my gallery for it. wink

Cody Canon

rbmnycBRONZE Member
lurker
194 posts

Posted:
Hey - I'll put up a picture of my spin off bucket in my gallery tonight. I'm very proud of my bucket(s). We used the plastic jars from teh two gallon bottles of tiki torch fuel, cut the tops, tied string to the handle and voila. We made four, and always bring them to every practice ... I think we've even got other NYers doing it now (see the post re. NYC's spin off bucket above. He stole that from me wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bump* redface not even remotely as often as I should spank

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
good thing you bumped this tom

I myself do use a spinner offa (coke bottle with the top cut off and rope)

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
I always use a spinoff bucket, not only do you save all that fuel, you also dont get it on the ground, good for the environment and someone wont walk by with a smoke and set the ground on fire. biggrin

Very easy way to make one that wont kill your arms when using it:

1. Go to the local hardware store, Home Depot is best if you have one, and buy a small bucket, like a 1/2 to 1 gallon, preferably metal.

2. Buy a dogchain or use some leftover chain from making poi if you do so, some rope can work just as well.

3. Attach bucket handle to chain/rope with a quick link or some key rings (tie it when using rope rolleyes).

4. To spin off just hold the chain and your poi at the same time with the poi just inside the bucket, spin spin spin, viola.

I used to just grab a bucket and spin it around while holding my poi but it kills your shoulders..
EDITED_BY: ubersmack (1202265068)

"Runs with Scissors"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
mad2 why is the spin off can always getting mistaken for a dipping can? Anyone having suggestions of "how to clearly mark a spin off can as such"?

rolleyes

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

mad2 why is the spin off can always getting mistaken for a dipping can? Anyone having suggestions of "how to clearly mark a spin off can as such"?

rolleyes

sure, clearly paint "spin off can" on the side of it smile

or get creative and paint some flames on the dip can and say.. water on the spin off can.. people dont wanna dip there wicks in water after all! smile

*edit* 2 seconds after i read that.. dont put water graphics on the spin off can.. someone starts on fire and sees that can, and throws it on them eek

just paint spin can on it..
EDITED_BY: ubersmack (1202521866)

"Runs with Scissors"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol

firespinners don't read while dipping... shrug

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Okay, isn't the spin of bucket empty, and the dipping can full? So surely that would distinguish the two?

I've never seen a problem there...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yep - when you use the spin off can, surely you put the fuel back into the dipping bucket....?

a good way to spin off staffs is simply to hold the end that has just been dipped inside the dipping bucket; above the level of the fuel but below the edge, and spin it. (ha! easy misinterpretation - i mean roll it quickly between your hands, like you do to make a burn off, but remaining vertical, in your hands, and inside the bucket!) this gets off as much fuel as a burn off uses, so its pretty considerable....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
that staff spinning-off tip is a great thing to do. Only caution I'd give is don't be like me and not QUITE spin off enough from the first end you dip and then when going to spin off the second side end up splattering fuel in your face... mmmm tastey colemans...

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
rolleyes could have happened to me either.

Whenever I put out a spin off can (even if I announce it to BE a spin off can) coming back I find it filled with Kerosene and ppl dip in it... shrug

Funny though as a spin off bucket is easily distinguished from a dipping can by the rope or string attached to the top.

My guess would be that most ppl never heard of it...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

a good way to spin off staffs is simply to .... roll it quickly between your hands, like you do to make a burn off, but remaining vertical, in your hands, and inside the bucket!)

Nice one! I'd not figured that out.. always just used them for poi...

I make mine out of cut down 3litre heavy plastic fruit juice bottles, burn a wee hole in each side with a hot skewer and tie some twine for a handle. Light, easy and looks very different to a metal dipping bucket!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
hmn, if people kept filling my spinning bucket I think I would just abscond with their fuel!

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol haven't thought of that yet... but in this case the problem is that they usually are using MY fuel in MY bucket shrug

Andrea .... who? rolleyes

But Gabe, ppl pour all available fuel in all available buckets here, no matter whether you paint flowers on them or crossbones... Size doesn't matter either... Damn Hippies and their firetoys....

Even if I explicitly explain and demonstrate what this can is for, they don't keep it in mind... goldfish-memory I call it...

*have to spin fire, h a v e t o s p i n f i r e, *h*a*v*e*t*o*s*p*i*n*F*I*R*E*SO*I*D*I*P*P*O*I*I*N*K*E*R*O*S*E*N*E*P*U*T*K*E*R*O*S*E*N*E*I*N*C*A*N*

some (to me/ remotely) appear like firezombies

*THRILLEEEEER theme*

but maybe that's just because only recently I'm trying to make a spin off can paramount and it doesn't get much response (at all)...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1202741491)

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I don't know how many times people have complained about me bringing kero to practice and them accidently dipping in kero. Even though the top of my kero gas SAYS what's inside....and i put the lid on after i dip.....spinners dont read while dipping lol.

I liek the staff spin off idea bluecat.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It says "Kero Gas" on your spin off can? umm No wonder.... wink

Page: