Forums > Social Discussion > Falmouth World Record Attempt? Help!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, this came up out of a random post on Firetoys.

Everyone likes to see how high you can throw a diabolo (and catch it) so we wondered what the world record was - I got in contact with the Guiness Book of Records and know what it was?

Nothing biggrin It has yet to be set - which means whoever "sets" it will be the world record holder (although admittedly not for a very long time wink )

I've got all the official requirements, rules, regulations and forms etc to make this all official - So I thought the Falmouth weekend would be a good time to try and set it smile

Now, the trouble is - measuring it. Aside from working out the height through particularly complex mathmatics - the GBoWR says it has to be a "over a bar" type affair (like the high jump basically)

Now, I know I can throw a diabolo VERY high - as in at least 20m - so how the flip can we set that up? It has to be adjustable so the bar can keep on being raised (the bar doesn't have to be loose) and it has to be measurable

So I was thinking - get a cliff, get a long straight pole, measure from the pole to the ground, and stand at the bottom of the cliff to measure the height... A window would be easier - but that requires a lot of very high windows which could possibly get broken ubblol . Are there any suitable cliffs in/near Falmouth? Does anyone have a REALLY long tape measure?

Any ideas anyone - and also, anyone up for taking part in setting the world record? biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Possbile, but un-valid unfortunately - it HAS to be over a pole to qualify for the world record smile

Also, a bit risky for a bit of fun, and highly inaccurate wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

fireflyzmember
73 posts

Posted:
I think we are bringin a video camera biggrin

what about bending the rules slightly and go for distance!
two people either end of the beach flingin it to each other and measuring how far it went !!

who ate all the poi's?

How much of a difference will YOU make to the world today?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
But that wouldn't really make it "Highest Diabolo throw" would it? tongue wink

Ok, so that's about 4 video cameras coming to Falmouth - woo hoo!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Do you know anyone who'd be willing to try 20m stilts while holding a pole? smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Or, just 10 people with 2m stilts standing on each others shoulders?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Would that not be a record in itself?

Why not kill 3 birds with one stone and get them to spin poi at the same time!

1 - Tallest Stiltman Tower
2 - Most people spinning poi on only 4 feet
3 - Highest diablo Throw

Well - it could work..........in a shaolin temple perhaps ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
4. Whilst all on unicycles?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I had thought - which is we'll need 4 rolls of string as the two on their own will be twisting the entire time - so need to more to stabilise the pole smile

*draws in breath* It's getting expensive! wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
well I'm nearly two metres tall so if I stand on my own head 10 times I can hold the pole myself! ubbidea and I can do one handed butterfly while I hold the pole! wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Thats a good idea Mr Durbs - my brain didnt get that far ahead, but now you mention it if we had two vertical to tie down the pole to the floor - then the ather two at slight angles coming out to our Guiness Book of Records adjudicators wink They could keep the pole in the same place and keep it reasonably straight in wind and stuff biggrin

Is it just me or - this is either going to work really well or end up a complete mess on the beach ubblol

Cant wait to find out mind ubbrollsmile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Then, as a finalé - use my fire diabolo, soak all the strings in paraffin - then do it at night time biggrin

The strings would be like a wick to blow the balloons up ubblol

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

The strings would be like a wick to blow the balloons up ubblol

NICE biggrin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Like so:

659measure

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

Just noticed this...

Written by: NOn

how high do pole vault bars go? Don't know where there is one in Falmouth but they go near 18m don't they?

I think there may be a mix up betwen feet and metres....the highest pole vault is 6.15 m

For reference 6 metres is probably slightly shorter than a two storey flat roofed house wink

yeah, come to think of it, it is a little ambitious for pole vault..... redface biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Luvly drawing m8 ubblol biggrin

With that plan - no more questions needed biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
That's gonna be nearly impossible Durbs, it's hard enough making the cane float with baloons never mind making words flost in thin air with black lasers coming off them rolleyes wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
You can hire 18 tonne cranes (up to 23m extension) for about £50 per hour.

Is it not worthwhile phoning around some companies to ask if they would be willing to give you a crane at a discount rate or free if they then get publicity out of it?

Incidentally, if you're going to go the balloon way you'll need to make sure the latex is rated for helium, most aren't, otherwise they'll deflate in a couple of hours.

And if you can get helium to ignite then you'll get the Nobel Prize for Chemistry into the bargain.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Letter-shaped balloons?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

meepSILVER Member
344 posts

Posted:
String.... Use kite string. The lightweight stuff would probably work quite well. Course, it's more expensive, but a lot lighter.. Unless double thick cotton would be strong enough, esp if you have 4 anchors?

"But what would you do with a brain if you had one?"

Dorothy Gale

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
What about chimney sweeping rods with a string across the top. They are a set length so you can extend it up evenly on each side when you want to make it higher....

Love is the law.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I was thinking of kite string or fishing line - very light, comes on HUGE reels (easily more than 20m) and is possibly cheaper than kite string.

Thankfully, they all are readily available from sea-side shops biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Ok, i was talking to Durbs last nyt and suggested a limit on attempts for the world record diablo throws, not meaning to sound like a spoil-sport but with the amount of people going all of which will undoubtadly want to try for the WORLD TITLE! biggrin

Just thought it would be a good idea, so heres my suggestion:

As im sure getting this diablo over the bar and catching will be a pain in the arse what i say is - you get as many attempts as you like, but once youve done 5 throws which have all been over and caught, thats it - you take your best height from the 5 biggrin

Mainly so everyone gets a chance as i know that some peeps are arleady getting competitive, even to the point of using "non standard" stix wink

So what do peeps think? - or should i just crawl back under the rock from which i came wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Those sticks were shoddy I tell you smile

Yeah - I think best of 3 though, as many trial runs as you want, but only 3 valid attempts

Unless I don't win, in which case we keep going until I do wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Durbs

Unless I don't win, in which case we keep going until I do wink

I can see independant adjudication is required, unless we get a person either side of the pole - you throw i catch, we both win biggrin

StarlyStarBRONZE Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
not sure if this is of any use but my little girl got helium balloons for her birthday and her dad was messing around with them seeing how much it would hold up and one balloon would only hold up a tolded peice of tin foil, he was trying to work out how many balloons if would take to lift a person lol

i don't think 2 balloons will hold up a stick of bamboo.

I hope you manage to do it however you work it out..

Good Luck!

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
well here in the states you can find bigh 3 foot balloons for about 2 bucks at hobby lobby or micheals. a couple of those would hold considerably more than the standard baloons.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure Strugz has got enough to lift a small country...

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
That i have Mr Durbs - we tested on the Isle of Wight which is now over in the middle of the atlantic - sorry for the additional travel to work for those that live there wink ubblol

Got about 30 baloons - that should do it - it willbe 1/4m3 of helium which according to Oli "the mad scientists" calculations should be more than enuf...............

Durbs - how long is your stick - i rekon it wants to be over 2m at least ubbrollsmile mailny so there is room between baloons to get diablo through!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - I've got lots of bits of bamboo - which is fine as long as we can have the roof down all the way to Falmouth smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

reflexBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
i'll have a little digital video cam that records in mpeg4 format and a 256MB SD card so should be enough space to film such a competition (records about 1hr20mins) should be funny ubbloco

see you there biggrin

Page: