poppymember
15 posts

Posted:
i'v seen some seriously amazing sunsets in the last year.... newquay in england, the greek islands.... and now i'm thinking of moving to darwin to work for a few months. and i'v heard the sunsets are amazing.. people pull up on the beaches with their eskys and drink the sun down..

i'v also heard that darwin is popular for fire twirling.

so, where's everyone seen amazing sunsets??? living on the eastern side of oz means i don't often see many.. only when i go overseas...

and anyone been to darwin?? i'm still tossing up as to whether darwin or cairns is a better place for living and finding work...

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
The only place I'v seen a good sunset in London is on the 14th Floor of canary wharf, but before I moved here I was on the coast & they were quite cool.
Every sunset is different - each has it's own beauty & happiness.

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
ME! ME ME ME ME Me mememememememememe!

I'm from Darwin, but I'm living in London at the moment.

I LOVE Darwin, but I am a little biased! And yes, you are absolutely spot on about the sunsets. There's nothing like sitting on nightcliff beach having a barbie as the sun goes down, or walking along Casuarina beach as the sunsets.... so very romantic. Or wandering around Mindil Beach markets to buy a yummy Asian dinner and going and sitting on the beach as night falls. The sunsets are so spectucular, like nothing you've seen before, and at the right time of year, every third or fourth day will have a spectacular sky show to end the day.

It's a few years since I've lived in Darwin, so I don't know for sure about spinners, but Darwin is a great place for alternative stuff so I'm sure there will be someone doing that sort of thing. Being such a long way from anywhere else people have to make their own entertainment and that means there are theatre companies and choirs and art groups and writers groups, lots of bands, lots of classical music, conservation groups, all going on in this one little town. You get the best from Darwin if you get involved in things.

Drawbacks?? The weather. Unfortunately the best sunset spotting time of year is also the hottest and most humid... but you do get lots and lots of mangos to make up for it!

The racism. Although Darwin is the most multi-cultural city in Australia (70 odd ethnic groups live happily side by side) there is a large contingent of red-necks and a lot of racism directed towards aborigines.

The parochialism and cronyism. Darwin is quite insular in the sense that it isn't what you know but who you know, although given that is has an extremely transient population, it doesn't take long before you're considered a 'local'. Hopefully the cosiness in politics will have been given a bit of a shake up by the new labour government, although I doubt that nothing short of anihilation will shake up the cosiness in the beauracracy. As for the parochialism, the NT News (the local rag) demonstrates it best. Every story has to have a Darwin connection, no matter how remote, and there is at least one article about someone being attacked by a crocodile in every edition! On the other hand, it's massive circulation can be attributed to the fact that most Darwinians appreciate a good laugh.

OK, so who's going to drum up Cairns!!??

poppymember
15 posts

Posted:
darwin definately sounds excellent. i'm pretty tempted to go......
although... cairns is great too... i was there 2 years ago and had a ball. but i'm a real sunset girl and am absolutely dying to have some wicked sundowners.
i'v heard that darwin also has the lowest unemployment rate in oz. that's a bonus, considering my main reason for moving north is to work the winter tourist season...

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Not having lived in Darwin for 4 years, I can't really tell you about unemployment. The Dry is certainly the best time to find some sort of employment up there, as the place is crawling with tourists. Although the Dry is also not the best time of year for sunsets - you need to hang around until at least October / November for the truly spectacular ones, which, unfortunately, is when the work starts to dry up... and it's also the hottest, humid and most uncomfortable time of year.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

stickyfishmember
39 posts

Posted:
Best sunset I ever saw was at Inverpolly ( about 25 miles north of Ulapool on the NW coast of Scotland) Sc0otland is so beutifull

It would have been even nicer if I wasn't getting eaten alive my the midges AAAARRRRGGGG!!! (I don't like midges)

Love & Peace from London
Rob

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
most amazing sunset ever: black rock city (burning man) 2001 on the night of the burn. ok first I must say that the sun setting is a tremendous deal there. that means it won't be hot. and most people find it to be quite hot. also on night of the burn that means we burn the man, so it is much more important on that night. but disregarding that, it still was the most beautiful I've seen.

imagine this: as the sun drops down to reach the mountains, they change in color to a kinda purpleish blue, you see the shadow of the mountains creep across the dusty desert playa (dried up lake bed) until they finally strech beyond your vision. as the sun drops below the mountains they desert sky becoms filled with a magenta hue. as the darkness reaches up from the opposite side the moon rises with it (the sun and moon were in perfect alignment across the earth).

oh yeah, plus alot of fire spinners

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Aurora (1/2 a firesister)GOLD Member
enthusiast
249 posts

Posted:
Oh burning man...I wanna go so bad *crosses fingers*

The most beautiful sunset I ever saw was in Africa. We were in a little town called Assilah (not so sure how to spell it). We walked through the medina so the walls were really high and we couldn't see much except the white walls and the houses inside them. Then we stepped out of the Medina onto this long dock sort of thing. There were Morrocans sitting all the way down to the end chatting away. We walked right to the end of the peer (really just an extension of the stone wall) and watched as the sun set. It was the most beautiful thing I ever saw...the ocean filled the entire horizon...and you could actually see the movement of the earth as the sun dropped below the horizon line (it actually looked like the sun was moving...but I know better then that ) Next day we went to Paradise beach, rode a horse bareback, almost drowned, ate fish while sitting in a straw hut and watched the sun set again. Oh wow...sunsets RAWK!

Om Namah Sivaya