tadhgBRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Hey, I noticed a lot of people using the IRC are just logging in, saying hello, and quitting again. I don't know what program people are using to log into it, but I'm logging in from a linux server using irssi. I can shut down my computer without quitting and when I log in again, I can see everything that was said while I was gone.
Anyone who's using the IRC should look into being able to do that with whatever program they are using.

I'm in my own little world. It's alright though, they know me here.

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Fair enough but not all of us have trust worthy computers and when rethinking it again... doesn't that cost Flid money??
I remember a request made for people not to remain idle on their computers for too long... but I don't know the in's and out's of it....you might want to pm Flid to find out!

Monkeys monkeys and bananas

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
the webinterface is designed really for casual users, either those who can't be bothered to install proper irc software and want to start chatting straight away, or those behind firewalls who can't connect with a normal piece of software.

The webinterface is slow and bandwidth eating, both for you and for me. I can highly recomend anyone who uses it regularly to get a proper irc client (i do myself), but for a normal conversation the cost to me is negligable - it was only bought up in the past because of people running it 24/7, and only using it 1% of the time they were logged in.

I agree with the original post, by all means stay logged in for more than a couple of minutes, if there's no one around then leave it running in the background for 15 mins. It's the same way all real time communal things work online: chat, games etc, if people don't idle and wait then the chances of anything starting up is down to coincidence only

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
Teehee is that a birthday cake I see??
Excellenté!

And again: I don't think I have an untrustworthy computer as such... it's more an untrustworthy user of the computer... yes I am big pants...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
yep, i am now 23 smile

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
happy birthday!!!!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

GottaLoveItSponge
883 posts

Posted:
yes indeedy doody happy birthday and the cake is fantabulous!!!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
yep, if you'd have come to clapham last week you could have had some 2. Instead we let alice have 3 portions eek

PsychoTronicstranger
80 posts

Posted:
well, hello !
I do not think that is very importand....
I mean so what....?

"For once there was an unknown land, full of strange flowers and subtle perfumes,
a land of which it is joy of all joys to dream, a land where all things are perfect and poisonous."
"Put out the torches! Hide the moon! Hide the stars!"

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Well i was hungry ok...and it was nice cake redface

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
it's true, technically i ate more than you smile