ddedhiaBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hi

I want to start learning poi. Start with normal balls and then move on to fire poi. smile

Say, should I buy ones with the cord strings or ones with the chainlinks? Which one do you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks in advance
D D

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
socks socks socks socks. Tennis ball in socks and spin. Don't buy poi unless you're rich or they're for fire. You can make tennis ball/tail poi too it's dead easy.

To start learning go look in the lessons and do some searches and look about a bit. There's loads in the tech/video section and ask questions about specicifics too but do a search first!

Bye! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Damn, started typing a reply but got side tracked and bug beat me to it... But anyway...

Yes, socks. Socks are the shiznit-o-bam slip-slap-sally. They are slow, nice weight (and adjustable if ya just cut a slit in the tennis balls and add some rice/loose change/belly button lint), and even look pretty snazzy in the day time.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy tailed poi as a starting learner set. The tails often get in the way even for advanced spinners and they can be quite annoying. They would probably discourage you more than anything.

Also, on the issue of string vs. chain, I say go with ball chain whenever possible as string tangles easily. Ball chain is rather easy to untangle if it happens to do so.

To make sock poi, just get a pair of the longest socks you can find (mens knee socks are good), get a pair of tennis balls, and put a ball in each sock. Slide the balls to the bottom and tie the open end of the socks in a knot. Grip the knot and spin smile

As stated above, the tennis balls can also be weighted by cutting a small slit in the ball and adding whatever type of weight you want. In general, more weight = easier (to an extent of course) because the more weight thats in the heads, the more momentum they have, and the more momentum they have, the less you have to worry about spinning them and you can focus more on controlling them.

::Wonders why he feels like this is the third time hes said this stuff in a week::

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

misshappypantsBRONZE Member
stranger
24 posts

Posted:
Welcome to HOP.... (Home of Poi)....

I too was exactly where you are this time last week! I was dying to learn...and desperetly wanted to START AS SOON AS POSSIBLE..... I didn't really "get it"...... but I listened to the advise of others on this site....and I made sock poi.....and by Friday night was spinning! I am addicted...and they work great!

I got socks for $1.99 and 2 tennis balls.... I actually started with another pair of rolled up socks in the ends at first.....and used that for a day....then pulled those out and put tennis balls in....

Tonight I am adding weight to my tennis balls... now that I have learned a bunch of moves.... smile

GET SOCKS...and start TODAY!!!!

You'll be the first one...to be as happy as me... smile you'll understand once you learn a couple of moves! yeeee-haw.

Be as happy as me....

GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
Socks are the eastiest, fastest and cheapest to put together. Unless you are lucky enough and already have the material to make them.

The only reason that I don't have any sock poi is because I have all the material. biggrin OK I didn't have all of the supplies but what I didn't have my brothers tackle box did. redface

hug hug wave wave

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
NOOOOOOOOO!

don't use socks - they won't help you with fire because they're compleely different. If you aspire to glowpoi then ok, socks i guess, but use tails - and they're prettier too!

i don't like socks... wink

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

RosscoOfficial HoP hobbity potato monster!
434 posts

Posted:
Sockpoi rule! nuff said!

O.B.E.S.E. Official Potato man.

Remeber kids.... Its all fun and games until someone loses a bol**ck! biggrin

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tao Star

NOOOOOOOOO!
don't use socks - they won't help you with fire because they're compleely different. If you aspire to glowpoi then ok, socks i guess, but use tails - and they're prettier too!
i don't like socks... wink

eek *points* HEATHEN!!

Actually I see your point but they've helped me tons, especially trying to nail hyperloops and what not. IMO tails translate far less into fire than socks.

So use socks cuz they'll help with fire if only to teach you tricks and play about cuz they're so godamn easy biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Tao StarPooh-Bah
1,662 posts

Posted:
well, i'm only jealous cos i can't do hyperloops & such.

tails rule!!!

I had a dream that my friend had a
strong-bad pop up book,
it was the book of my dreams.

leeeaaaaaaSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with the person who doesn't like sock poi, I didn't like them either, but nothing lost. I just was stubborn and learned with glowsticks and banged the hell out of myself. I know it feels significantly different to spin fire, but I had no problem transitioning. I just splurged and bought myself fuzzy poi for my birthday, and love them. I don't know what the difference between them and socks is, meh.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Dont listen to the anti-sock assosiation... I dunno how they got out of their cages.

Back ::Cracks a whip holding a chair:: Back I say.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Make your fire and training Poi with the same weight and
possibly the sape to if u want to better continue with fire poi.

"When u think the Poi u made are fine, than they are."

Enjoy smile

POI THEO(R)IST

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
take up staff! u just need a stick itsa much easier... tongue just kidding.

When i learnt poi, i used tennis ball with string, and never used socks... mayb thats y im not so good...

Good luck with wotever u choose!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I just practice with my fire poi O_o Crazy kids.

Goddessdastranger
24 posts

Posted:
I wish someone had told Me.. I bought the poi with the tails and yes they look great when spinning. but the tails will drive you crazy. I thought about cutting them off but they look so good when they are not tangled. I am glad that I did start with them.
GoddessDA

Real happiness is when you marry a guy for love and find out later he has money.
-- Bob Monkhouse

ddedhiaBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Hey guys

thank you very much for your help. Sock poi looks light. I think I would be comfortable with something heavier. Got the one with chainlinks. Look cool.

love and light,
psybrat

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Written by: Custom Bug

socks socks socks socks. Tennis ball in socks and spin. Don't buy poi unless you're rich or they're for fire. You can make tennis ball/tail poi too it's dead easy.

I disagree about tennis balls, you should use rice in little nylon bags or 2 soft beanbags (not too much beans though)

Kiddamember
60 posts

Posted:
Use a mixture of all of the ideas put forward above

and see what works for you best smile

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
i like tails, and i like sock poi. Im bi-spinnable biggrin have a play around and see what you like best

Aimz xx