Forums > Social Chat > Stereotypes of Australians

Login/Join to Participate

Belgarathmember
51 posts

Posted:
Time for us aussies to get our fair share....
What do you think

The Sand...The Surf... The Flame.

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
from your presistent stealing of kiwi cultural icons from every realm i think really you wannab be like us kiwis, but you make a pretty piss poor job of it, and just end up looking like 'try hards'

dacieymember
7 posts

Posted:
itsgottab i being a fellow kiwi i think you are so right

no offencce to the auzzies
{ Belgarath did you enjoy the series[the book called belgarath]i loved it this has nothing to do whih my post}

[ 15 April 2002, 13:50: Message edited by: daciey ]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I hunt crocodiles (they're not alpaccas!) for a living when I'm not playing the didge and winning Olymipic events.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
personally, i like getting out in my thongs and blue singlet and cooking a cow on the BBQ.. whilst drinking copious amounts of Fosters, watching the footy, and doing donuts in my hotted up commodore..
haha... i guess i'm the exact opposite of the above description
|:) <--- don't beleive the lies, chicks dig monobrows.

--------------------
"3CPO is a bitch"

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
The crocodile hunter is a top bloke! I used to have issues with the way australia was portrayed.. i used to get rather offended, but now, i love it! of course we're not all like that, but its when you meet someone like the crocodile hunter, that u you think "jeez, im proud to be an australian.. wanna nother beer??"

Fire... A bushmans telly

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
um, as an aussie i guess i cant provide an objective view, but apparently a lot of european nations (probably along with others) see us as inhumane, racist rednecks. Think Tampa, boys and girls.

(if they keep throwing those kiddies overboard we might just have to feed them to the dingoes...)

really, i agree with that summing up of the aussie public. we also have a huge cultural cringe.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
smoke weed, play drum or dig.

Drinks Victoria Bitter religiously while playing cricket and yelling cat calls at the sheilas.

either really drunk or really layed back.

open minded and very well travelled on a whole. Very common to find aussies that have gone travelling for half a year at a time (in my experience)

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
hmm, can't really think of any stereotypes for you aussies.

[ 15 April 2002, 22:44: Message edited by: Fe Fi Fo Phunk ]

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I hear that Aussies have big wangs.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
you heard wrong...

Erm - continuosly having "Barbies", the women are very forward, you all drive "Utes" (Although I can't spell it...) lots of beer, wear too much opaque sun-cream, devoted to the Royal Family (maybe) and walk around in boots, khaki shorts, string vests and cork hats...

That or they're working in an English pub in London.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I put some up on the other thread, but i just wanted to add oen i've developed from meeting aussies over hear, which is that they hate the queen. don't know if it's true, just know all the ones i've met over here do.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
"devoted to the queen" my (tanned) ass! One referendum with a rigged question and everyone thinks we love the queen.
"stealing of cultural icons" say what? How about decades of one way immigration of kiwis from every realm?
"Hunt crocodiles" Of course bender hunts crocs. Melbourne would be overrun without blokes like the offender
"wearing cork hats", would be the pommy tourists at the airport.
"working in a pub in London" Fair enough.
2 points to make. [*]Don't belive the hype [*]Welcome to the new millenium (2 years late)
Somebody please mention sharks snakes spiders and jellyfish.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
one word Bunyips

I actually got asked in a pub in LA if I had ever seen a Bunyip.

My response... oh I've seen a couple in my time but when i'm hopping along in the pouch of a kangaroo with my dryzabone raincoat and my hat with corks on the Bunyips get a bit scared so you don't see them all that often!

Needless to say the guy didn't talk to me after that.,.

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
We had a lovely visitor from america at our school a few years back, and when we were outside during a P.E class, we deviously told her that if you look at a magpie directly in the eye, it claws into the back of your head and pecks your eyes out, then we started talking about our (make beleive) friend who had that happen to her and how shes been....
this girl then went home and got a note from her parents saying due to classified circumstances, their daughter does not have to participate in outdoor physical education.. you could see her tense up whenever a maggie was present!

[ 16 April 2002, 23:17: Message edited by: sarah... ]

Fire... A bushmans telly

sarah...member
339 posts

Posted:
And Kyrain... Ive never met the queen... but im sure shes very nice

Fire... A bushmans telly

Twirl'N'BurnBooojakasha
121 posts

Posted:
LOL these what do you see us posts are a really funny read.

HHHHHMMMM Aussies I think falloutboy got alot of it in one...Sorta.

FYI - Us auzzies do have bitumen roads and electricity, and cities, and cars. Yes I have had to clarify this on several occasions

Simply an excuse to play with fire.

--AuRIaN---member
69 posts

Posted:
australia - sun, surf, man eatin crocs & cork hats...oh, and barbies! neighbours & home&away also help build up the view of oz.
seriously tho, gonna be takin a few years to travel in nov and australia is the first place i'm gonna be going. planning to travell up the east coast for 6months ish then off to NZ for some serious snowboarding!! until the £$ runs out anyway!!!
any tips on survival??

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
I realize that pretty much the only thing teh average French know about Australia comes from ...
Crocodile Dundee...
ain't that sad ...

And the average French knows that NZ is the place to try our nuclear shit too and that is even worse. I did not vote / decide for that but I swear when I think of that I am ashamed of my country ...

Aurian ... Good for you to go travelling . I am gonna do the same starting in october actually ... may I just suggest you go to NZ around february allready cause that's when there is the HOP convention for fire twirling (early february) followed by the NZ juggling festival (mid february ... should be just GREAT

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I like how Audax seems to have misunderstood the whole point of the thread and is attacking Durbs' response.

Sarah... My brother once got wrestled to the ground by Prince Charles' security team.

He says they were really nice - as they beat him about the head with improvised weapons ("quick, hit him with a broom...").

[ 18 April 2002, 11:37: Message edited by: C@ntus ]

Meh

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Ah, Cantus? I realise the aim of the thread, but you must understand that Australian's are trained from a very young age to take the piss out of poms and kiwis. I'm just following years of conditioning. Plus you know his comment about working in pubs in London isn't ironic. I went on a working Holiday to the UK recently and as far as I could tell, I was the only Aussie over there who didn't work in either Edinburgh or London. It was really wierd for me, because I'd never seen an escalator before. Nor had I ever been charged good money to watch my TV in my own home for that matter!
Aurian, It's hard to work out which myths to believe and what to take seriously from Aussies, with stories about drop bears and bunyips next to real advice on box jellyfish. The Jellyfish actually kill you as you may have found out recently. More people die in boozy road accidents during easter alone than by all the snakes sharks crocs jellfish spiders and murderers put together. You never hear someone saying they are scared of Australia because of all the cars and beers though...
Don't worry though, Australia is so backward that they don't have the internet yet, so this doesn't exist.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
NO INTERNET!?!?!

If my internet was suddenly taken away from i'd have withdrawal symptons worse than a person coming off a herion addiction...

i wuv my internet

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
Poor old lonely mother earth
is very very sad,
she had a bomb put in her heart
by people who were mad
she held them and she fed them
she taught them to be free
they put a bomb inside her heart
and whispered 'Cest la vie'

Leunig

sorry cass and all the other frogs, I don't really think your nuts.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
can't add cliche's i fear
all i know is that your average brit and US citizen can't keep australia and austria appart

i don't know how often i had to explain that no i do NOT come from down under (only kangoroos or however u spell that are in zoos around here)

Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

dibs_starmember
603 posts

Posted:
I'm going to have to go with Durbs on this one. mainly because he's my big brother (although I'm not too sure if cantus has actually informed him of that yet, but I am) and I'm scared to disagree.

No, I lied. I just want to go to Australia. Its a happy place, so long as you're not in the city, then the tarmac is just too hot to stand on. Sun, sea, sand, fires, nakedness on beaches and very attractive men with warm hearts. Hmmm..... yeah.

SOMEONE TAKE ME!!!!!

Dibs xxx

Can miles truly separate us from friends? If we want to be with someone we love aren't we already there? If there is someone willing to show, and there is someone willing to see; magic happens. This is whem humans are alive. This is when the wingless fly.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Dibs shouting 'Somebody take me' has just made me want to be Australian. And have a cold shower.

Australians are all paranoid about toilet seats and what's lurking beneath

OK, never been to Australia. Most of the Aussie girls I've met have been really nice, warm and attractive in a certain way. Most of the blokes were large, big sports fans, copious beer drinkers but good sports. This is what you get when you visit the Redback in Acton too much.

Apart from that one Aussie girl I know swears all Aussie men are louts and awful. The fact that she thought her fiancee was lovely when in fact he was an ignorant, selfish, rude, loudmouth, uncouth slob with a penchant for noisey bodily functions backs up this.

Also a Maltese friend of mine went round Australia and cut her journey short because people thought she was an Abo and she got enough racial abuse to seriously upset her daily.

Funny slang words as well. Utes, flaming galars, streuth.

Oh, and riddled with skin cancer at 40.

I'll pop over next summer to find out more.

[ 19 April 2002, 02:28: Message edited by: Dom ]

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Over 1 Million Aussies were born overseas. there are 19,000,000+ of us. that makes us fairly multicultural. The choice of food i have on my lunch breaks (Melbourne CBD) every day is massive:
Salmon sushi, Chicken Teriyaki Sushi, Beef Sukiyaki Sushi,...
aw man i got 2 more hours 'till lunch.
aw nuts. multiculuralism ain't gunna make lunch come any sooner i guess. what a gyp!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always