Forums > Help! > Fire Breathing With Jet Fuel?

Login/Join to Participate

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
So Ive been thinking about getting some jet fuel to spin with cuz I hear its pretty good and cheap. Was just curious if it would be ok to breathe with though. The name sounds kinda scary (cmon, putting JET FUEL in your mouth and igniting it!) but then again, putting any kind of fuel in your mouth is kinda scary. So is any more or less safe to breathe with than paraffin?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Not sure where you heard that it is cheap or easy to get, but that has not been the general concensus. It is refined kero-lamp oil derrivitive, just as toxic, not as bad tasting, harder and more expensive to come by. Unless of course, you are a jet pilot at which point...share! wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Pele, you can get it for 2 US dollars a gallon from a self-serve pump at an airport. I don't think it's exactly legal, unless you have a plane, but it's quite easy and no one asks questions smile

As for the question at hand, Pele hit it right on the head. It's not safe, you're putting a carcinogenic in your mouth, but it is basically the same stuff as breathing with lamp oil.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Jet Fuel... as in JP-5 and JP-8? As in the stuff that they put in US Jet fighters/bombers/cargo/helos etc??

I really don't think you and I are talking about the same thing, mainly because the stuff we use in our jets takes a few 1000 degrees F to heat up enough to burn! And at $2 a gallon, I know we cant be talking about the same thing.... please help a very confused guy confused

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yup, that is what I am thinking Ray...and I agree it isn't $2/gallon.
M...I don't know about your airport but here the pumps are well guarded. In fact, every part of our airports are guarded unless you have employee passes. Lovely national security thing.
And Kero and Lamp Oil are cheaper than $2 per gallon.

I'm with Ray, are you sure we are talking about the same fuel?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
I'm talking about aviation grade kero, $2.13 per gallon at my airport currently. Where do you buy your lamp oil for less than that? I switched to white gas ($2.50 per gallon) because of the bigger flames, but more importantly, it being much less cheap than the lamp oil offered in any of the stores I've gone to, which are something like 6 dollars per gallon, outrageous of course.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
aviation fuel is just clean kero, less likely to have unpurities to clog fuel injectors and more consistant per batch. Most jets use it, including many military helicopters and jet aircraft. Your right the military probably pays 10 dollars a gallon or something, because these are the same assholes who pay like 7000 dollars for a alluminum ladder to hook onto an aircraft.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I was referring to fuel called Jet-A.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
JP-5 and JP-8 is a bit differnt. The properties are alot differnt not to mention that you can't light it without so serious heat. So yep we was talking about two differnt things... thanks for clearing all that up hehe

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"