Forums > Technical Discussion > WOOHOO! Malcom is sellin rainbow hacky sacks!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Just took a spin through the shop and noticed there's a little bit of remodeling going on!!

One particular item of note is the Rainbow Hacky Sack! Really neat. Someone posted a few months back about using these on poi!! More or less unbreakable since it's meant to be kicked around anyways, and won't really hurt much if you whack yourself with it!!

My only hang up is figuring how to attach them to poi. I'd have to see how big and heavy they are, but I'm thinking of using 2 on each chain just for weight and looks. Or maybe the most eefective way to do it would just be to tie shoestrings around em? I don't wanna do it that way. I'm wondering if it would be difficult to rig them up with a little loop on them so they could just be clipped on the the quicklinks on my chains.

Anyways, kinda curious as to how these little devils go together. They have an on-off switch and replaceable batteries, but how do you get to them? Is there velcro on one side or something?

I've been toying with the idea of buying some from houseofrave.com, but since Malcom has them now I was hoping maybe a few more people could shed some light on effective use as poi! Maybe Malcom himself wink

biggrin weavesmiley

p.s. I also noticed that there's a staff included in the group pic on the shop front page, but not on the actual staff page. Is there once again going to be a staff available from HOP soon??

EDITED_BY: Big Andy (1071355332)

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!"

"Welcome to the U-S-A,
We'll treat you right, unless you're black or gay, or Cherokeeeeee!!"

-Brian Griffin from "Family Guy" (the dog)

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I bought some hacky sacks for poi and as ace as they turned out to be I would recommend that you don't put anything 'through' them. After a few spins the little plastic bits start to come out so just wrap laces around them or something like that or they won't last very long.
Good luck and watch out for black eyes!!

Let's relight this forum ubblove

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I had a thought on this. Maybe some kind of net material that's mesh and let's light through. As long as it was strong enough, you could make a net sheath for it, to tie onto your poi set up.

Just an idea.

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

FabergGOLD Member
veteran
1,459 posts

Posted:
You could try using those little net bags that come with washing detergent tablets (do you have those in the states?) I've heard of them being used. They're made from mesh so totally transparant when whatever's inside them lights up.

Otherwise the foot part of a light-coloured pair of tights/pantyhose should do the trick. You can attach your rope or chain to the knot you make in the tights instead of having to damage the hacky-sacks.

Enjoy ! smile

My mind not only wanders, it sometimes leaves completely smile

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
I don't about the tights, stretchy poi is no-good in my book. I guess if ya tied it tight enough. We have those nets you're talking about though, I'll look into those, maybe not so stretchy? We'll see!

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
What, Rainbow Hacky Sacks!!!!!!!!! Where??? Where???????

Runs off to the shop so fast he breaks the sound barrier!!!!!!!!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i bought a pair of these from a shop in QT and was shockingly disappointed to find they are in fact only three colours.

rainbow they are not ubbcrying

but still lovely and well worth the (slightly lower)price i paid for them. and am planning to buy many more biggrin

R smile

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
But have you figured out what to tie them to?????

Ohhh questions questions questions

Lisa
XX

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yes.
the hacky itself(hackys are made like that remember...)

but when i get back to the uk i will be getting some new persil bags....

answers, answers.....

R ubbangel

Singed Piper (formerly Mark1)resident bagpiper
342 posts

Posted:
Hi all, I originally posted about these hacky sacks (originally called Rainbow-in-Motion Funsacks - $6.75 at house of rave), so i figured i'd give my manner of connecting them. I took a short length of shoelace and threaded it through the mesh around the recessed switch. I theaded it through several times, so it made a sewn ring around the switch, with the loop's ends on either side of the switch. that way, force was distributed evenly along the whole bag, reducing chance of ripping. by making the loop circumscribe the switch, i ensured that centripital (centrifugal for all those who do not understand that centrifugal force doesn't exist) force will force the "plastic bits" further into the sack, rather than away from it. thats my two bits, although the laces didn't cost even that much, and the look is much cooler than a detergeant net.

Slaite Mhath beerchug, Peace kiss, and flaming bagpipes eek

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?
A:The Great Highland Pipes burn longer.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
aaah but with detergent nets i can swap with my aerotechs and carry less stuff around....

cause i am definitely guilty of travellingwithtoomanytoys....

but yes that seems like a good way to do it smile

R

342 posts

Posted:
the hacky's in question are woven cotten, clear pellet filled hackysacks with a cylindrical battery/light compartment sticking into the center from one side. the outsine end of the cylinder is flush with the netting, and is comprised of a rotary on/off switch that doubles as battery cover. when turned on, the light pattern is:

one pulse red,
one pause,
one pulse green,
one pause,
one pulse blue,
one pause,
repeat

the overall effect of spinning them is that of coloured spheres moving around your body on invisible tracks. one of my friends said they look like 3-D representations of DNA. I think they look like some futuristic computer interface. they, along with streetlights, and sauce lightsticks make up my "special effects" props.

cya

weavesmiley

Q:What's the difference between the Great Highland Bagpipes and the Northumbrian Pipes?

HanskiBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Hoorah! Rainbow hacckys!!! My mate will be sooo chuffed...he is an avid poi hating confusedhacky playing freak...and grumbles soooo much at night when we are off playing with fire and he has nothing to do...finally something to shut him up!!!!

As for making them into poi.... another mate of mine has been using the persil bags with his glowing juggling balls, they seem strong enough and they dont stretch toooo much at all...and plus you can easily take em out and hack/juggle with em if by any small chance you didnt want to play poi anymore!!!!

Ok so we`ll all be smelling sweetly of freshly persil washed clothes in the new year....

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Originaly posted by Mark1
Hi all, I originally posted about these hacky sacks (originally called Rainbow-in-Motion Funsacks - $6.75 at house of rave), so i figured i'd give my manner of connecting them. I took a short length of shoelace and threaded it through the mesh around the recessed switch. I theaded it through several times, so it made a sewn ring around the switch, with the loop's ends on either side of the switch.

That is EXACTLY the answer I was looking for!! I was wondering if something like this was easily done with this product, didn't want to buy them before knowing, lol. Thank you very much!

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
*sits with fingers crossed waiting for the nice postman to bring me some*

these look awesome!!

biggrin biggrin

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Big AndyBRONZE Member
186 posts

Posted:
Another question for Mark1...

About how heavy are these things? I expect heavier than glowsticks. Is it like spinning 2 or 3 glowsticks on each chain, roughly?

"Welcome to the U-S-A,

MillenniuMPLATINUM Member
Hyperloops suck
595 posts

Posted:
Seems about right... if you've ever kicked a hacky sack, it's a regularly weighted hacky sack. About the same weight of the zuni poi head if you've ever spun those.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
what i do is i spin glowstix but with my own custom strings and at the end, the string is tied with a series of knots to a key ring, then to the glowtsick, uc an do the same since a bean bag has holes everywhere

it must be green

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
*jumps up and down excitedly*

They arrived today!!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

Damn these things are cool!!!!

they look absolutely amazing, all i need to do now is wait for it to stop raining, so I can test them properly!

weavesmiley

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

342 posts

Posted:
about the weight of a juggling bag or a little heavyer than a normal hacky-sack(difference is negligible) feels heavier than electroglow, lighter than streetlight. what i call perfect for spinning, because it can be used with cords or chain without any real adverse effects (like the dreaded loose-floppy-glowstick-on-chain-that-won't-go-where-it-should syndrome)

beerchug

342 posts

Posted:
ive got a lovely piccy of my friend twirling my hacky sacks, however the lights look much brighter and more like distinct spheres in real life
anywho, look here

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Quote:

Hoorah! Rainbow hacckys!!! My mate will be sooo chuffed...he is an avid poi hating confusedhacky playing freak...and grumbles soooo much at night when we are off playing with fire and he has nothing to do...finally something to shut him up!!!!

As for making them into poi.... another mate of mine has been using the persil bags with his glowing juggling balls, they seem strong enough and they dont stretch toooo much at all...and plus you can easily take em out and hack/juggle with em if by any small chance you didnt want to play poi anymore!!!!

Ok so we`ll all be smelling sweetly of freshly persil washed clothes in the new year....

in that case. you should get him a fire hack.

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

woodnymphmember
313 posts

Posted:
mmmmm....rainbow hacky sacks.... ubblove biggrin

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Got a pair as a gift from Oz, they are wicked smile

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

bean_brigademember
14 posts

Posted:
I bought some the other day and put them in those little string bags you get when you buy washing powder in tablet form, it works a treat as they are strong yet still let maximum light through. Hope this helps xx weavesmiley

selecta