TanzenBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
I'm curious to know what people who use fire poi think of those who use glowsticks. Are the people who use glowsticks looked "down upon"? Are the people who use glowsticks viewed as not having as much skill as those who use fire? Is there a hierarchy in the "poi world"?I'd like to say that I haven't gotten the impression that one group looks down on another because of what type of poi they use...just new to all this and was wondering if this happens.Personally, I use glowsticks. Though I have no desire to use fire, I have seen it done (in a club in Ybor City, Tampa) and I think it looks cool.Tanzen

Ravers don't share glowsticks!

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
myst is that you? just kidding. myst had a huge debate a long time ago about this very topic. i love glowsticks as much as the next i use them all the time. i love fire just as much as the next, i use them all the time.but before you decide which you like better, give the fire a chance. youll probably love it just as much...have fun...

anyone got a light?

TanzenBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
True...I can't say which I like doing more since I haven't used fire before. Maybe I'll have the opportunity if I meet someone in my area who uses fire.However, in my area, there's more of an opportunity to use glowsticks (in clubs and such). I can't really go to a club, light up two balls of fire, and start swinging them around to the music...though, the thought of that brings a smile to my face. grinWhat made me think of this question is because my other hobby is DJing. And, in DJing, there's a HUGE debate about which format should be used: CD or vinyl. Deejays who use CDs are, for the most part, looked down upon by the deejays who use vinyl. So, I was just wondering if it's the same type of thing in the "poi world".Tanzen

Ravers don't share glowsticks!

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
yeah myst got into it really bad with a lot of people, but that is his nature.but once he tried fire he kind of mellowed out and did not have as much of a preference. he was the most die hard glowsticker i knew...but for the most part, at least with the people that have been around for a while, noone ever really judges a person on their preference...

anyone got a light?

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
I'm all about fire. I think glowsticks look good only if spun very fast and I don't like to spin fast. I enjoy watching good glowstick spinners play with them, it looks trippy. Beaming poi is fun too, yet very dangerous when you hit yourself. So again, I'd rather look at someone do it. To me, the zunis, beaming poi and zunis are just a supplement for fire. To those who can spin glowsticks with skill, it's just a different thing to do, no hierarchy.Nomad------------------A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.Nwww.anthelion.org

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The thing is, you gotta start somewhere and for those who are restricted or timid of fire, glowsticks really are fantastic. Personally, I prefer fire and I really enjoy the Buzz Poi and LED poi as alternate choices. I, again personally, have a hard time validating the waste that glowsticks create BUT I have used them. I have given them to people to use. Having been on this board a long while, I can say there have been those who feel one is better than the other, but as more options become available it is really hard to remain a purist in this capacity.In the end a person's choice is a person's choice and in no way reflects on their spinning aptitude or their intelligence. I will say I think that sometimes the light choices reflects alot on where the person is and on personality. I seem to find those who are really into the rave-party scene in the US liking glowsticks more than fire for ease purposes, that type of thing. Again, no heirarchy to me, just personal preference.And your right pozee...I remember that debate thread with Myst. It got painful! (*in dreamy far away voice*...back before mods were mods, when spinning was "new" and we were young...) wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Itsgottabmember
244 posts

Posted:
comets are by far the supiour spinning item to use, they are enviromentally friendly, you can make them yourself very easlier and they make you work harder(if you don't do things right you fuck up). maybe if your're in a club the u.v. ones will be more your style, as pele says glow sticks are very wasteful, she did forget to mention the negative health effects of breathing in toxic paraffin fumes from 'fire toys' and how 'dirty' it burns. both the GS and the fire cost money to use, coments are free!! although it won't be expressed on this PC site the 'fire spinners' are those doing the ture art. it won't be slammed in your face thou, but one day you may graduate to club of 'fire', when you do the world will open before you, the comet spinning world anyway.glow stick boys and girls are just the crazy clubbers looking cool on the weekend, like nomand said, it only looks cool if you spin them fast 'it looks tripy' (sorry nomand i don't know if you are one of the fire club but your coments reflect it well).

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
I think if you started with fire, its very hard to be impressed by glowstick spinning unless its very competent. otherwise its sort of a 'yeah? so?' kind of thing unless the person is really good, or has a good dance style besides. I'm more not a fan of ego, attitude, aggression, 'battling' competitiveness than whatever prop one uses..personally i am really impressed with traditional maori unlit poi.glowstick spinning is a fundamentally different style from how i learned because its necessarily faster, and you can usually tell by style people who started as glowstick spinners and moved to fire. actually, ravn light LED things look pretty cool, if i was going to do the glowy thing thats what i would do, but personally i don't own any, too expensive, and i dont really go places where you would use them. the blowstick is the best glow toy ever! PeregrineAll Nascent Things Have Elegant Lines In Original Narrative smileanthelion.org[This message has been edited by Peregrine (edited 05 February 2002).]

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hey itsgottab, indeed i'm part of the "fire club" even though that was not my intention when i started Poi. I just started with zunis and my goal was not to go to fire with it. I was just having a lot of fun and liked the challenge of learning new moves. Eventually, as the guy who introduced me to it got into fire, I was like "mmm.... kind of scary but why not try it?". And then i got hooked.Nomad------------------A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.Nwww.anthelion.org

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
I am a big fan of Glowies and Fireys. I spun for almost 3 years without ever touching fire. (Thanks Supa') I developed a certain style with them that was very suited to 135bpm dancing. Quick, agile, and always changing. However, since I have started fire, I have been picking up new moves and combos and transitions and variations at an exponential rate. And some of this has transfered well into my club style, but, on the other hand, some of it does not. So now I have developed two distinct variations of my style. There is the high energy that evolves from glow spinning in clubs, and it works well, because most people don't understand the complicated things I am doing with my hands. They can't appreciate the truly technical stuff I do, because when it is done really fast, it is just a complex series of intertwining circles. Nonetheless, it still looks hella cool when I throw in some wraps and a few mid-air stalls.The way I spin fire is a little slower and more technical. I get to do a lot of the showier stuff that isn't in a continuous weaving pattern. More stylish stuff. And it is going slow enough that people can appreciate it, because they can tell what is going on. I personally don't see one as better than the other. It is two sides of the same coin. But given the chance, I would rather spin fire. Unfortunately, I'm not always given the chance. And my RAV'N lights KICK ASS!!! They are very worth the money. Wrap 'em in bubble wrap, and go to town. I've had a crapload of these things since June, and they have never given me a problem.------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Apples and Oranges. smileI stick with my apples and oranges metaphor of many moons ago. I don't see a heirarchy. I respect both and do both.It bothers me to see people rank/insult one form when they do something so similar. It reminds me, on a much more superficial level, of the hypocracy of one oppressed group oppressing another.But I'm not too idealistic either. Pele brings up a good point in addressing which communities do which and the trends and habits which are associated with each community.I CAN say though, as someone who tries (and often fails) to remain objective, that it is important that this site was built as a poi and fire spinning site which has been very welcoming to us glow stickers.My first night ever seeing fire spinning started out with a few of us spinning glowsticks... A voice popped out of the darkness and said "Glowsticks are pretty, but I like fire"... It's funny because I later befriended that voice (shout out to Gear) and he helped me build my first set of fire poi.For the majority of spinners that I know, it's simply a preference, not a judgement.Of course, you'll get your occational insecure, egotistical, judgemental jerk here and there... but that's all part of the fun. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i think that all spinning is cool!!!i have my prefernces for comets ect (must be a kiwi thing) but.. i have to agree, its hard to be hugely impressed by the glo sticks....but i guess they must be fun or people wouldnt use them. different strokes for different folks i guess

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I like glow sticks for the simple fact that I like glowie stuff, but as far as spinning goes I can't freaking stand them. That may have something to do with my predjudice against techno music and the drug scene that follows it. I don't mean to offend anyone on this board (and it's by no means directed at anyone in particular) but you have to admit there are a whole lot of really stupid ravers out there. Not at all to say that all ravers are stupid, but I've met so many that I just tend to avoid anyone in big pants wearing a pacifier.I prefer fire because of the very primal feeling I get from it. I love to spin to heavy tribal sounding drums and just let the rest of the world go until it's just me and the fire and the dance. It's a beautiful feeling.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Fire hurts, glowsticks hurt. What's the difference between them both? winkYea, I don't see any "Social System" other than everyone that does this is crazy hehe (that's a good thing) I do glowsticks and have the scars to prove it, but I've read alot of nasty stories about Fire burns.

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
i base it personally upon the skill of the individual person spinning, ive seen people spin fire who cand do diddly squat, but then seen people with glowsticks who are absolutely amazing, and also vice versa, if theres any hiearchy, its based on skill, not the types of toys...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PurplePanmember
7 posts

Posted:
The first time I ever saw poi, was on fire. So I've always had that conection in my head. And fire is where my heart lies. I practice with comets, as the sound of the tails approximates that of fire. I'm not in the rave scene and haven't had much exposure to GS's. But they seem a bit less of a hastle than fire. No soaking, etc. Hierarchy? None here. Say, this is my first post,(Hi)is there anyone out there from MI?