Forums > Social Chat > Where to go now ? - starting fire poi

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
Hiya all,I'm officially hooked after only a few months, but I'm not sure what to do. I saw one of my bro's friends doing a fire-poi show at a party we had and I was mesmirised by the energy and beauty of his performance. I now have some practice poi of my own and have been practising the moves from this site for about two months. I only wish i didn't have to study in between (poi has become an incentive for me to do my work, and I get to practice if I finish all my studies!!). However, although i can do individual moves I'm not sure where to go from there or when I should think about fire poi (my ambition at the mo.) I don't think I know enough about it to start on my own so if anyone lives in my area (Devon/Dorset, UK) or can give me any tips on how they got started I'd love to here from you.I think fire poi looks wicked and I'd love to start as soon as possible so tips much appreciated.Ros xxx

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd say as long as you can pull off all your moves easily without hitting yourself you're more than ready to try fire...Once you've bought/made some, spend some time praticing with them and get use to their weight. Then, with someone watching (ideally not a parent as they tend to get arsey about the whole thing if you set fire to yourself in front of them) just light up and take one move at a time. It's MUCH easier if you try and forget your using fire - if you worry, you'll get nervous and tense and this doesn't help anything.As for the fluidity - it just comes with practice. I've nailed all the moves on this site and a few more but am only just really getting into the whole visual aspect of poi. I strongly reccomend watching the tai-chi movement video in the forums for inspiration or any Circle of Light video from this site. https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000346.htmlOh
and when you light up, prepare yourself to be addicted.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
hello! um, well. i'm getting into fire soon, i'm getting some fire chains soon, uh, yeah, what durbs said make sure you can spin without the tails hitting you.( actually, i find it helps to practice in your underwear to make sure you know when the tails hit you! grin no! seriously!)also read the note on fire safety on this website...uh...i think thats about it...bye! cpg tongue

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't go as far as doing poi in just my under-wear, especially as it's winter here - but I'd not worry so much about the tails hitting you, as the flame isn't really that hot. As long as you aren't wrapping it round you regularly or you find the tails always end up in your eyes you'll be fine.Probably------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429498329)

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
hey durbs i was thinking more of spinning in your undies inside..but hey..outside ould be funny... cpg

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
well i would say about the same as the others except when practicing to see if you are ready to go to fire yet, it would be a good idea to just say alright....now if i can go for about 4 mins without hitting myself at a pretty decent pace then i should be about ready to go for it. if you wait until you never hit yourself you will most likely be waiting quite a while, just remember to start with moderation and stick to what you know, and besides i get pretty crazy with my fire and i havent had a burn yet....treat it with respect but it most likely wont kill you

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Don't be afraid of the fire.I can't really speak for any fuels besides kero, but getting hit by a flaming wick doesn't hurt as much as you think. If it just bounces off it won't burn you at allJust yesterday I was trying a new throw with my staff, it went verticle above my head and I looked up just in time to watch it bust me straight in the eye. I walked away with sightly shorter hair and a big black mark across my face that took about ten minutes to wash off, but no pain, no pain I always say. Fire good.

Jesus helps me trick people.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Is it just me or did CPG just offer to spin inside my pants?....Not sure if there's enough space to be honest - mind you, try anything twice

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
uh...no durbs i think its just you...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*sigh*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
That's ok Durbs - I'd like to spin inside your pants. That way I can practice this btb reverse 9beat weave testicle wrap that I have heard so much about, without risking injury to myself smile

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
Well, forgetting durbs's pants for a mo (as much as i'd love to continue on that topic....) All your advice seems pretty sound. I can pull off all the basic moves no problem and spend hours just repeating stuff with my eyes shut which I find helps me to feel what i'm doing as opposed to relying on what I can see to get it right. I'm working on the more complex stuff which I'm breaking down into easy little chunks, then throwing together till I get it right, then closing my eyes and repeating till it comes as second nature. I guess i'm probably ready to do fire (meaning that I hardly hit myself) but it's just taking those first steps...........Any advice on which wicks/fuels are best for a complete first time fire virgin like myself?Ros xx

Storytellermember
19 posts

Posted:
The first time I did fire, I found it didn't scare me at all. I think fieither makes you focus, or breaks your focus.Try just doing your starting stance with fire to see how it makes you feel. If it doesn't frighten you, then your good to go!

Ribbons of color twining and flux, open tomorrow for me

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Good call HD. My friend swears by practising with his eye's closed and just focusing on his breathing. I have to say it works well for learning new moves as you can "feel" where your poi should be going - but don't close your eyes with fire as you won't notice if your legs on fire...As far as fear is concerned - obviously some people have a greater fear of fire than others - I've always been a bit of a pyro and like all things firey but never mistake condidence for ignorance. Without wanting to sound all pompous - Respect fire! Realisticly - even if things go a bit wrong, you can always just drop your poi and take a break from things. The scariest thing that's ever happened to me was an accidental double wrist wrap which kind of acted like firey hand-cuffs. I just had to shake them off me as fast as I could - and despite the fact they were wrapped round me for about 4-5 seconds I didn't get a single burn.I'm not trying to scare you - just making sure you're ready smile------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
oh its you again durbs. j/k! wink actually i think HD is getting pretty peed off with us lot having a big conversation on his topic. SORRY! well i've never spun fire either your not alone. maybe i should shutup now i'm saring people... grin

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
CPG - I'm actually female!! smile

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
Hey Heliumdreams... yeh get yourself some nice kevlar wicks (gee I think HOP sells some??), coz they can be used again and again with little hassel if looked after. Also they (depending on how much wick you have) only last for about 3-4 minutes, which believe me is plenty when you are first starting out!! Don't get too worried about the fire, I was doing a show the other day and had a mate throw me a staff just as I was turning away, I saw he had throw it so turned back to catch it...fumbled and hit myself in the eye with a burning wick...nice big black mark on my face, eyelashs that stick together, but not even the slightest burn...Only thing with poi is if you wrap yourself up in them...have a spotter handy!! Even so if you do wrap, just keep spinning yourself in a circle with your hands out so that the flame/wick is still kept away from you as you try to untangle...Oh and go for it...there is nothing quite like fire!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
Ok, say I get myself some nice Kevlar wicks from HOP [ smile ] what fuel do I need and where can i get it etc.. I really am relying on coaching from you guys for this!!!

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
maybe start with kerosene (maybe called paraffin where youre from???). it is such a pain to light, probably one of the safest fuels you can use. definitely dont do it indoors, as it is so smoky sooty and smelly.

Wow

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
I myself just this morning finished a set of fire poi... and now I have to wait a couple hours for it to get dark, and then then fun will start. smile w00t! ;p

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
yeh floatydreams....kerosene is a good option, but I think in the UK if you look for Lamp Oil, or Parrafin you will have basically the same stuff.Try either Hardware stores or gas stations...I dunno where in the UK...I am in Oz...------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
FYI - Paraffin is easily available in the UK from all hardware/diy shops e.g. B&Q, Homebase or Robert Dyas. Cheaply too.The only thing is, I don't know how old Helium Dreamer is and I *think* that you have to be 16+ to buy it, although I wouldn't swear to it... Whilst your out shopping ty and find a large secure glass jar to keep fuel in a soak your wicks in. Make sure it has a locking lid (like you get on some Grolsch lager beer bottles or posh jam) which again I think can be bought from Robert Dyas or try somewhere like Lakeland plastics as they are used in Jam making. Don't get one with a tiny top opening as you can't get your wicks in and out, and try to avoid ones which have too much of a upside-down funnell top as these can be dangerous if you dunk your smoldering wicks in due to the gas build up. Finally don't use plastic containers to soak your wicks as they aren't particularly safe - especially some plastics which can react with the fuel to make a volatile gas (Nylon for example). At least I think that last part is true smile**And don't forget to have someone watching you with a damp towel!!**------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble The Mug Shot Gallery Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
oh - and have fun!!

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
Cheers everyone smileI'm 17 so shouldn't have any trouble buying fuel. Have persuaded parents to buy me some kevlar wicks for christmas ( !?*#!!? ) cos I'm skint but I'm considering selling my body so I can get started sooner! (that was a joke.....)I think I know roughly where I stand now and I can't wait to get going. Your help's been great and I'm so glad I found this site before I went ahead and set myself on fire! Only a couple of things..... ........how long do I need to soak the wicks for (overnight?, a couple of hours?)and how do i put them out or will they burn out on their own? I don NOT want to leave anything to chance on my first time cos once I make this step the fun can really start!love & thanksRos xxps. Love the signature Durbs

foobaaspinning for ages
125 posts

Posted:
There is a really good link somewhere here about caring for your wicks...It might be somewhere in the HOP shop??yes, soak them at least overnight, 24 hours is good. I will briefly reapeat what is in the caring for wick thing. When lighting for the first time, light and then put the wicks out once they are fully lit, repeat this 3 times. This can be done with a wet towel (wrap it round so that no air can get in...the wicks go out. When this is done, light the wicks and you can then swing and have fun!!! When the wicks are burning low (less than an inch of flame above the wick) they should be put out. If they burn too long without enough fuel it ruins the wick. Once they are out redip them. Store your wicks soaked...i.e. dipped and then wrapped in plastic bags. If they dry out too much is also bad for the wick.OH and as Durbs said...have FUN!!------------------fe fi foo fun

fe fi foo fun

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
I think I've come accross as a paranoid safety freak scared to have fun but i stress this is not the case......I'm just a beginner wanting to take the right steps and then the fun can flow - believe me!

Ajaymember
158 posts

Posted:
i know exactly how u feel helium, ive been spinning for about 6 weeks and think from the info on the site i know enough to do my first burn but im trying to find a more expirienced poi-ist in my area just to make sure, its alot easier to be shown somthing and there could be a small detail which may be fairly obvious to someone who has used fire before ,but someone who has not might overlook (does that make sense to everyone, i know what i mean anyway)

One fine day in the middle of the night,
Two dead men got up to fight,
Back to back they faced each other,
Drew there swords and Shot each other.

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
I think you hit the nail on the head there. I sound like I'm paranoid but really I'm not that nervous.I just want to get off to a good start.

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
The more you use fire, the more you'll like it.But the more you practice with out it the parinoid you'll get when using it.In my humble opinion, most things are better whin they are on fire anyway, so you might as well light it up. smile

Jesus helps me trick people.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
You can't be paranoid around fire (IMHO). Safety is something that lots of people have a short supply of, sometimes its even the people who have been doing it for years.Just make sure you have an experienced safety (or at the very least, a safety who has read lots of safety threads) and is aware of steam burns and other things that aren't often thought of until someone gets hurt.The thing with fire is it likes to TRAVEL, it likes to run up walls and treas and leaf litter and sometimes it even ignites oil and fuels in gutters. Paranoia is the perfect starting place..."Play safe"Charles, the Energizer Safety Bunny signing off... grin grin grin grin ------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Page: