Forums > Social Chat > how do i start with fire??

Login/Join to Participate

poiboymember
22 posts

Posted:
I have been a fan of this site for some time, have just now gotten serious enough that I feel i am missing out by not participating in discussions. I've been glosticking for maybe 2 years now. just getting to btb combos,5bts, and more complex wrap combos.my question is, where do i start with fire? what's the best type of fire poi, homemade or storebought? where can i find more info on safety? and lastly, where can i find some performances or other twirlers to work with?

Keltmember
34 posts

Posted:
As for fire... take it slowly. do the simple stuff, just to get the feel. Then, work up to the more complicated moves.Equipment? Check out the HOP online store. Good stuff there...

Let me stand next to yourFire, fire on the mountain...

alleykatmember
49 posts

Posted:
You can find the answers to all those questions, and many many more, on this very site!!! Malcom has a whole bunch of stuff on here about fire safety; there are many many threads on the bulletin boards debating the merits of various types of poi and poi construction; and this site is teeming with folks eager to find others with an interest in twirling fire. Just let the search engine be your guide.Happy burning!peace,alleykat

this little light of minei'm gonna let it shine...

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
poiboy,I was in the same shoes you were 6mos ago when I first got into fire. I would say the first step is to educate yourself about safety and fuels as much as you can. There are numerous pages on the internet that give information, however HOP, and the collection of people here are going to be your best reference. I asked a BUNCH of questions about fire safety. There is a small text link right below the Reply button, called Search. Click it and do a search for fire safety. Once you feel confident that you know what procedures you are going to take with your fire poi, then it is time to obtain equipment. Around this same time, I found a bunch of local guys to spin with, at least this way, I would have a spotter as well. I practiced for my dry (not soaked) wicks for about a week before I couldnt resist the urge any longer. :P Take it slow and surely. Remember that you don't need to press yourself to do anything your not ready to do, and when you finally DO light up. Do only moves you absolutely know. Hope this helps a little...------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I so wanted to say "With a lighter"sorry.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
Fire is soooooo addictive! Be careful, all the sugesstions on this thread so far are good. I can't really think anthing that's been missed. I just wanted to say, glowsticks will never be the same, and your life is going to change forever! Have fun!

later - Smilee

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Very carfully!!! smile

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey poiboy, if you want to get together with some other fire spinners, shoot me an e-mail. i live about an hour or so away, maybe we can hook up sometime and hav a jam session...

anyone got a light?

nexus_sunmember
47 posts

Posted:
& if you turn up to hang with other twirlers, take along a decent quantity of fuel. Cause you won't want to stop once you start.nexus_sun

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Well this isn't the best fire safety message but last night i was having some fire withdrawal symptoms (i don't own a set of fire poi) so i made a temp set (one use only) with tennis balls, old socks socked in flammable liquid.It only lasted for about three minutes but it was worth it.That was untill they broke and the fire went flying all over the place grinCheers APB

Good on usGood on us all

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
ahh....the joy of homemade equipment.Why don't you do what I did, and just make homemade fire wicks from cloth, a coathanger, and some glue? They last a LOT longer than 3mins. :P Mine are 4 burns going strong, barely showing signs of wear.CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

catboymember
167 posts

Posted:
did i not read (on this site i think) about someone making poi heads from hand towels and things for a really long burn time (like 1/2 hr plus) and massive flames?... ...i seem to remember something about it, plus needing about 10 gallons of kero and the bath to soak them!probably not a good way to start! grin

you can take the cat out of the jungle, but you cant take the jungle out of the cat

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
I've seen something like that posted somewhere too - provided you wrap the wicks nice and tight in the wire cage you get great burn time from the linen cloth.------------------We are all of us in the gutter but some of us are looking up at the stars."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Auspoiboymember
219 posts

Posted:
Ahhh the homemade poi, they bring a tear to my eye. I have used things ranging from socks, to a little chicken wire cage with old (clean) handkercheifs packed in them. You just have to love destroying some perfectly good material just to twirl for 15 minutes.CheersAPB

Good on usGood on us all

poiboymember
22 posts

Posted:
thanks yall for the suggestions, but i am still in the dark. all the ideas for how to construct poi were lost on me because I do not know what the actual structure is (how to put them together). if i soak the poi in fuel, wouldn't they drip or send flaming liquid everywhere when i twirl? if you hit yourself, do you get lit up?sorry to ask so many questions, but i prefer not to die smile