Forums > Technical Discussion > Anyone know where i can learn Flag moves???

Login/Join to Participate

cRYstalWavemember
40 posts
Location: from the fiery heart of the british isles.(that be...

Posted:
Ok......so i just got myself a set of flag poi, and as beautiful as they are....all the moves in my mind don't seem to work!!???!!...is there a whole other set of moves just for flags?.....
I'm also really interested in meeting fellow spinners in England who wouldnt mind getting together for the festies...or something.???? ....i know you are out there!!!!!.........love+light....

...........The most inspiring thing that anyone has ever said to me was........Life is nothing without dreams..... or was it life's too short to eat pistachio's????

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
hmmmm..... odd. flag moves are exactly the same as poi move. they may be weighted differently though. one set of flags i once used were so light they had almost no momentum, so i had to completely change the style of movement. all the poi moves should work though.

hope this helps.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
it just takes a little bit of time to get used to. Because flags are basically like having really long tails on your poi, it can get hard to do continous circles, like in the butterfly. weave based moves are easier.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Remember what they said about poi moves and then remember this, that they tangle around your hand. Most flags do not have a swivel or handle independent of the fabric, and so enough rotations in one direction and they will wrap right around. Ways around this, take practice but are not so bad, are:

* keep things in a state of transition...always countering what you did in one direction by moving them in the opposite direction. This will undo any wrappage that might have occurred.

* what I call the pizza dough release, where you let your grip go but keep your fingers touching the fabric. This is ideal in horizontal movements but can be done otherwise. It allows for rotation free of wrapping, and then you regrip and keep on going.

Hope this helps.
Have fun with your wings!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

cRYstalWavemember
40 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your advice peeps......... the moves do work(hours after experimenting!!!) but i guess you were all right...just not use to the weight and different fluidity of them........i'll keep playing.>x<.........also they have finger loops on them, is it best to just hold the fabric???..........love+light...........

...........The most inspiring thing that anyone has ever said to me was........Life is nothing without dreams..... or was it life's too short to eat pistachio's????

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I like using the finger loops on flags if the flags have some.
It's just about doing poi moves but thinking larger in my opinion

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
There are a few moves you can do with flags which are either alot harder or just look nicer than with poi.
Throws (and catches) are really nice with flags, the same effect as a "giant" move but without you holding on to the flag.
Easy example, a reverse weave:
On your right hand side when your right hand is underneath your left, instead of coming back across your body, throw/release the flag up into the air. Bring your right hand back round and catch it on the way down. Lovely!

Loads of other moves like this; butterflies, BTB stuff, all sorts of weaves.
Just play!

P.S. If you're looking for UK spinners either click up top "Community -> Meet Others" or do a search in Performances and Gatherings.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

cRYstalWavemember
40 posts

Posted:
-Thanx Durbs-
Was out in the garden just this morning playing around.....they do feel good don't they....!!!....
Kinda concluded though that Flags 'n' Wind don't go that well, [well unless they are attatched to a pole and meant to fly in the wind!!!].....Just kept getting wrapped up in them!......
Now ......back at work, wishing for a life of sea, sand, trees, poi and play 24/7...........(yeah well we can all dream!!! )
Until next time.........
Love+Light........
quote:

Don't wish for a better day, be glad and use the one your'e in -x-

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No probs.
Where abouts in the UK are you from?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude