Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
right...thinking about this earlier..having an arguement with simian about what was impossible and what wasnt..

he thinks that no moves are impossible..ie...all in front moves are possible behind the back.

i dont.

one such example..... behind the back corkscrew...

are there any others?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
um, most contact staff moves i see are isolated already, seeing as how its usually easier to move your body around the staff and keep it spinning in one position.

isolated gilligan????

how can you isolate something that isn't moving?

and whats a D-Stave?

and why is the Milka cow lilac?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
you can't.

d is for double.

and its for the same reason as why cadbury's chocolate is in purple foil.

quote:
Originally posted by +):
humm, Ive actually been practicing poi on poi stalls and they are quite possible, sorry.
so you never did show me @ glasto tom and you still haven't explained yourself. its all somewhat fishy...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

perthBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
quote:
you can't neckwrap if your poi are longer than that distance. [/QB]
you can if youre spinning in the ceiling plane, in fact its one of the first things i did with a comet (15 feet long).

Signatures are for people who can read bad penmanship.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
ha!

Cole: u can, i showed gillie iso's at glasto but only Tempest took the time to see what was going on, as for the poi-on-poi, look out for it on Col4

and no, its not like Glass's 'inverse pendulum'!

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
can't wait for col4 man.
look out for my upcoming video; cole1

perth, that's cool - but how do you unwrap without changing direction (especially when you've got 13 feet of rope wrapped around your neck)...?

i do vertical neck wraps with a rope dart/long meteor but wrap an arm first to shorten it - with a vertical poi neck wrap (where there is no stop or change of direction to unwrap), the number of wraps possible is still limited by your height i reckon.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

perthBRONZE Member
13 posts

Posted:
quote:
perth, that's cool - but how do you unwrap without changing direction (especially when you've got 13 feet of rope wrapped around your neck)...?
Theres a few ways i get out of it (all of them change directions).
1) catch the rope, bend forward, then throw the comet and let the rope unravel as it travels. when its out about halfway, i yank it back, step to the side and start it swinging in the opposite direction. i can do it right about 25% of the time.

2) catch the rope, change to the wall plane, do a few weaves, go back to the ceiling plane in the opposite direction.

3) wrap a few times around my neck, then lift my arm up and let the last wrap go under my armpit so the comet hits my chest, then piroette in the opposite direction.

4) catch the rope, let it stall. throw it in the opposite direction (not glamorous, but really easy and transitions well into things like kicking it back into motion).

Signatures are for people who can read bad penmanship.

TyrGOLD Member
Simplicity Convoluter & Cabbage Friend
126 posts
Location: In the shadow of the wolf (somewhere over melbourn...

Posted:
Sorry, I'm only a poi dabler - Someone told me that doing a buzz saw with arms moving around poi (so flame stays still while arms circle round it) was a buzz saw isolation. Makes a lot more sense now. I was talking about doing a gilligan with the above method - flame still stays stationary; but arm is spinning around it - (then giligan around that).
D-staff varients are possable with whatever the hell I was talking about above (one end fixed with other circling it) Look particularly nice with the second staff looping the fixed point...and contact staff I thought would be funny but interesting if poss - start to look all brake dance-ish. Perfectly still fixed staff, with the person rolling around it.
Anyways sorry to interupt, just wanted to be less confusing.
I thought the Milka cow was cornflower blue not lilac? Must be a trick of the light; they always did look strange grazing on the mold in my bathroom cubbord...
P.s. It's not cruel to raise Milka cows in cubbords, not if they're agoraphobic and lactose intolenent anyway.

“What are you creatures of Fantastica? Dreams, poetic inventions, characters in a neverending story.”
Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

3,149 posts

Posted:
hmm. there should be some terminalollyogyagy... um... words to describe the difference between a plain vanilla isolation (where the handle and head of the poi rotate around a point at the middle of the chain) and a ultra-hyper-galacto-isolation (where the handle rotates around the head, which remains stationary).

Can anyone do the second type? i ain't seen nuttin like it meself.

BUT THESE MOVES ARE ALL POSSIBLE! i demand more impossible moves.

Such as five-beat weave with double staff (which due to the double-ended nature is in fact a ten-beat but ahhhhh whatever)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ultra-hyper-galacto-isolations are silly and won't work properly as we are humans and as such are limited to moving at speeds under that required for such sillyness.
i saw glass do about 5 beats of a 'powered' isolation this weekend which is almost what you're talking about - they were some *really* small circles.

i'm disappointed simian.
suggesting impossible moves are all doable and stuff
unless you can turn off gravity, or (as i've said before) are the one and only steve austin himself, this isn't ever going to happen.

here's an impossible move:

queen pawn opening: d4 to w861.

see, this is what happens when you come to pip and hide from me all day, i'll get upset and be mean to you on the internet the day after.
fear my wrath!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

3,149 posts

Posted:
oh, ok then...

You could do em with a stick tho!

but that would be dangerously close to mime

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh, come on people, just move your hands back and forth in a roundish bottomed half circle on the stall, rather than move your hands in a perfect circle around the poi, and you can do ultra hyper galactic isolations. i can do quite a few beats of them, they aren't that hard. shame on you

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
oh cole.
I don't remember that
but I'm only interested in Isolations nowdays when they happen with the poi head circle smaller that the hand circle.

Mind you tell me about the little horizontal circles I was spinning? reverse weave extensions
where did they come from
just off to try them again.

whoop whoop
Drew

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
arashi - [in a super-sceptical physicist's tone of voice] i'll believe that these can look good when i see them i'm afraid dude. i'm not saying they don't work at all - it's just that they don't work in my head...
*the league against poi that bounce or wobble*

powered isolations are super fast full isolations mr glass. you did a few with the poi head circle just slightly larger than the nets and it required some serious hand pumpage...

to all from a tired coleman x

[ 30. July 2003, 02:22: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
"league against poi that bounce or wobble"

right on

And ugly stripy sock poi are right out.

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Glåss:
And ugly stripy sock poi are right out.
Poi nazi!

"Moo," said the happy cow.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nahhh, hes the HoP Snob!

T

-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
funnily enough i was going to say the same thing.....

snob*hug*

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
turn your nose up and walk away drew.
they're not worth it - don't let them drag you down to their level

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
we have enough rope tho....

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

-><- Kallisti

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
just wanted to ask you, tom, what you have been doing with the weather for so long?

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
[sarcasm] Oh! HAve i got it, hold on, im shure its round there somewhere oh drat! where is it? [/sarcasm]

What on earth are you on about dear boy?

T

-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
nothing to do with me.

chuck me that rope then

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ta cole for recognising intellect and intelligence.

bit blind that weatherman don't you think?

TyrGOLD Member
Simplicity Convoluter & Cabbage Friend
126 posts
Location: In the shadow of the wolf (somewhere over melbourn...

Posted:
Five beat weave with d-staff is easy enough; seven beat possabable with a strange dbbl back-hand roll (both hand have to reverse face during roll for the catch to unfold properly).
As for really impossable staff stuff. How about d-reverse side corkscrews (arms crossed over chest)Might be possable with tiny staffs but going that size would burn you hands.(And if there is some insainly flexable person out there who can do that then try it with d-corkscrews in opposit directions.
As for poi; how about a Houdini straight jacket escape whiles doing a behind the back five point weave.

“What are you creatures of Fantastica? Dreams, poetic inventions, characters in a neverending story.”
Gmork
‘The Neverending Story’

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:

ok then.. try an eight beat parallel weave........behind the back.

cos me and dom...sorry c@ntus.. Dom and I, belive this to be an impossible move.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
is an 8bt parallel weave possible in front jon?

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
yes...dom can do it..#

he issilly tho..

he also has silly long arms...

which is half of what Glass has who i also believe can do it.

Vaughanymember
3 posts

Posted:
I have been doing Poi for about 9 days now, and for me an impossible move is not smacking myself in the head every so often, and also not getting both Poi in the unmentionables at quite a high speed...

Practice will *eventually* make perfect!

Everything means nothing; out of nothing comes everything. Here's Tom with the weather.

Page: