Forums > Technical Discussion > Think it'll work? taking a hint from lanyard work

Login/Join to Participate

SterlingspiderBRONZE Member
Senator by day, Sith Lord by night.
128 posts

Posted:
Okay, if this is totally a cracked idea y'all can just laugh at me but in looking to make my first set of wicks I've had a thought about wick construction. When looking at cathedral fold wick construction I've been mentally referring to it in terms of the old girl scout plastic lanyard work (you remember, the stuff that used to hang from everyones backpack zipper tags 'round about 2nd grade).

Well, thinking back on it more, I remembered the old box knot (or square stitch Box Stitch Instructions) which used 4 lanyards to make a shape very simelar to the cathedral fold, but tighter and containing more material.

Admittedly, doing this knot for a set of wicks would mean that you would have to use narrower wicking (and probably a lot more of it) but that means more fluid retention right? (really, I'm a total novice at this so my logic might be completely screwed) Beyond that it should eliminate the problem of having to cut a path for the bolt to hold together the wicks as there is a natural hole in the center of the square knot.

Am I cracked in thinking this might be a good idea?

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
It's actually a pretty interesting idea. The only potential drawback I see is that the resultant wick would be long and skinny, whereas my own feeling is that the ideal wick is roughly spherical. But you might be able to do interesting things with a box-stitched length of wicking.

You really wouldn't need any core hardware at all if you worked an attachment ring in at the beginning.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

128 posts

Posted:
Actually, I was more worried it would be too fat and squat. The resultant square would be 2x the width of the actual wicking, that means even the narrowest wicking offered here would end up making 5 inch square wicks!!!! And that would take A LOT of wick length to make them cubical.

Hrm, as far as attachment I think I would want to bolt them anyway just to be sure.

I guess this would probably be good if you wanted super huge spectacular wicks unless you could find narrower wicking (dunno how well the rope would work but it might be worth trying). Perhaps someday if I have the extra cash *koff koff, yah right koff* I'll give it a shot

"If the human brain were simple enough for us to understand, we would be too simple to understand it"
-Emerson M Pugh

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Well, if you do end up making one that's too fat and squat you could send it out Denver and I'll use it on my chain whip. *koff koff*

Jesus helps me trick people.

128 posts

Posted:
*snorts* I can just see it:

SickpuPpy's Home for Wayward Wicking

Actually I found out Dube Juggling Supply sells 3/4 inch wicking pretty cheaply and I will be in Manhattan 2x a week once the semester starts. If the actual place is not hard to get to perhaps I can even eliminate shipping expenses.

In the words of Gene Wilder as Dr Fredrick Frankenstien: "IT.....COULD.....WORK!!!!!!!!!!"

-Emerson M Pugh

DeadManWalkin30member
25 posts

Posted:
Dube has to be the EASIEST place to get to, it's right down a few blocks off the subway, no turning, which confuses me.

Fanaticus Incendi -Pyromaniac

128 posts

Posted:
So is that addy like an actual storefront or a corperate headquarters? Hadn't checked yet, if it's a storefront I'm SET. What line's it off of?

Nevermind, answered my own question.

[ 28 August 2002, 11:14: Message edited by: SterlingSpider ]

-Emerson M Pugh