Forums > Technical Discussion > Sparkly poi (could this be for real????)

Login/Join to Participate

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I know, I know. I don't want to hear it, okay? winkI'm just wondering if anyone has experienced any detrimental affects to their audience as a result of using sparkly poi? I'm referring to the sparklers, not the steel wool type.I ask this because we had a performance on the weekend and used sparkly whips/rope. The stuff was flying everywhere and beacuse the audience surrounded us it was impossible to spin on a plane to avoid them. I didn't hear any burn stories, but would like to know if anyone else has had problems.How badly can a sparkly from a sparkler on some sparkly poi burn?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
[moderator mode on]AAAHHHHHHAHAAHAHHAAAAA. another sparkly poi thread! ::choke, splutter:: USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!o - hang on a sec...it's mine. that's okay, it can stay. wink

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
You couldn't put this with the other thread? I used to think you were cool.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
no, this needs a thread all of its own, for no other reason than the affirmation and attention I will receive as a result. I had thought about *maybe* sharing with another thread, but decided there just wasn't room on it for such a critical issue as this one.it's an ego thing... wink :P I'm sure you'll understand.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
To my limited spark;er/science knowledge, sparklers cant really burn things very easily if its just the sparks hitting people. I remember it has something to do with the little sparks having such a small mass that they cant transfer their heat properly.To see what I mean, just get a sparkler and light it. If you put your hand near enough to be hit by the sparks, you'll notice it doesnt really burn you.By the way, I'm not too positive about this whole thing, so I take no responsibilities for any burns suffered tongue

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i would think the worry would be getting sparks in someones eyes? dunno...what does the sparkler box say?and hey! going to try sparkly poi at last tomorrow, so, how do you make them again? wink Pere

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
What?!@?!?You're gonna try sparkly poi in my beautiful little park where it's illegal to spin fire in the first place??That's it, we're all gonna burn in hell...Nomad

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
I think this was covered before but here goes again. We've used the sparklers with few no hazardous results. If you use a bunch of them they make enough sparks, light, and smoke to make a good show. However they last all of 1 minute so that sucks. Also, it's a pain in the ass to light them all at the same time.As for sparks being dangerous, they're not really. Pele used them near leaves and the sparks barely hit the ground. And the sparks didn't fly towards the audience either. I think I took some pics of it so I'll look around for them.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
I was spinning some 4 ft. sparklers this past weekend and was showered with the sparks whenever I passed them over my head or behind my back. I wasn't wearing a shirt or anything and it didn't hurt at all. I also have a shaved head and people said it looked funny with the sparks hitting my scalp. They were awkward to spin (as they don't bend and flow like chains) but lasted a good 5 minutes!

Fear the evil monkey!

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
oh come on, you know you want to try it!if it makes you happier y'all can come down here and we can do it on the nice, non-flammable beach where its only slightly less illegal smileso i have big sparklers and little sparklers, should i just bring the little ones then?Pere

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Whipping boy, Flash was talking about myself in regard to her question.Have a look at this linkhttps://doofpix0.tripod.com/doofpix_Firez/Fire_Pix/index.htmlSet59th row down in the middle (the fire whips above are me too!)As you can see, some of those sparks get a fair bit of air. grin

Burntmember
13 posts

Posted:
sparklers are extremely hot at the point of ignition, and as such do not use them unless you are confident with your poi etc.the sparks will not burn as the total energy held by an individual spark is not great enough to cause any damage to even tissue paper, let alone your skin.However it is not unheard of for chunks of sparkler to fall off and fly accross an audience.I am interested in sparkling fuel. A friend of mine went to a free party and some peeps doing poi had a liquid fuel that sparkled, anyone know how.be nice

Play with fire and you might get Burnt.

sundancermember
1 post

Posted:
the fuel that burns is colman camping fuel mixed with a magician prop calld "dradonsbreath" makes the fuel VERY easy to light so be careful. no open buckets of this stuff with the sparks around. big boom. people hurt. bad for whole scene. spin responsibly. PLURFireShaman