hafsha1member
35 posts

Posted:
Has anyone ever had any experiences with the Beaming Poi sold on this website? What do you think, what have you heard?~H~

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
They're really bright, very cool, well made, nice straps, and hurt A BUNCH when you get hit by them.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Have a pair but don't use them too much. They are really heavy and can cause some significant damage if you mess up while trying something new. Good for slowing your spinning down and making your actions more deliberate for routines, sketchy for practicing new moves where you might get hit. Had a buddy of mine about knock himself out with them, had a head lump for days.

Fear the evil monkey!

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Two word reply:HARD BALLS!!! grin grin grin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Ummmmmmmmmm....Ouch! Played with someone elses once...fire feels much better when it hits!Didn't someone in one thread about these puppies say they broke the bridge of their nose? Malcolm isn't foolin when he says "experienced spinners only" in the shop listing! Evidentally, I'm not experienced enough!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 12 June 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I played with a set a few months back and they are way the heck cool. But they really, *really* hurt when they hit you. As in, spinning fire is safer. The guy who lent them to me said he knocked himself unconscious once.-p.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I love my beaming poi. I highly recommend them. smileThey look great during the day, fantastic under uv and awesome when they're turned on at night.Just make sure you warm up properly before using them. Trust me, you don't want to hit yourself with beaming poi. Finn smile[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 13 June 2001).]

hafsha1member
35 posts

Posted:
How about this twist... which is safer: beaming poi or fire poi?I want to start using something other than glowsticks that will give that awesome light trail when it gets dark but I don't know which to go to, light and pain or fire and well... less pain?!What is next for me?

SupaflyBRONZE Member
TNT
173 posts

Posted:
Just my opinion, but beaming poi will help you learn to keep your swings away from your body which is good preparation for fire. Their weight will also help you get used to the difference between wicks and glowsticks. I thought BP were a great medium/step before fire to develop a small "routine" that I could use for when I was ready to light up. You could also buy a pair of fire poi and practice with them unlit too though. They just don't look as cool when practicing.

Fear the evil monkey!

hafsha1member
35 posts

Posted:
Cool, thanks and about the pain of beaming poi?! Just deal with it!? Is possibly wrapping the beaming poi with socks or some sort of padding a possiblity? Anyone ever tried that? Fire or Lights, that is the question??? Let's make this a mini-poll. smile

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Blokes.Wear a cricket box if you havn't used these before grin. Have had a go on other people's. shocked oooohhh shockedYou know what I meanhe he he he peace out winkgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

Shibakienthusiast
309 posts

Posted:
I just got my set yesterday. I can attest to them hurting, and had already come up wth the idea that I ban learning new moves with them, and am pensive about trying the quad windmill with them... but they are great. I changed out the straps on mine and put on double finger loops. I also came up with a really neat design feature for them which Ill post when get the picture on my computer.------------------We are not physical beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a physical experience.~Edgar Cayce

Wow

hafsha1member
35 posts

Posted:
That sounds awesome, I would love to see pictures of what you have done. Fire or beaming poi, such a difficult decision. I think I may try to meet someone in my area and see both for myself. Everyone's responses and input is great to hear.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
IMHO, beaming poi are more dangerous than fire poi. With fire, accidental impacts and entanglements are rarely very bad. I haven't spent much time with beaming poi, but based on my limited experience, *any* hit is going to hurt. A lot.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
If you just want LED poi that look good while spinning, are fairly safe, and you have some mechanicical/electrical skills, I *highly* recomend you look at Malcom's "homebrew" LED poi instruction and kits. I saw the one Pele has and it ROCKS!I've been working on some of my own designs, but only finished one set so far. It works pretty damn well, but does suffer from some technical issues. I'm pretty sure I'll nail things on the revised design. ;-)FYI - even though mine are extremely light and well padded, I still managed to smack myself in the eye with one. To date, this is my worst poi accident, fire or otherwise.-p.

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
I agree with Adam. Beaming poi are much more dangerous than fire poi.Once you have developed a healthy respect for your beaming poi however it's a different story. I now use mine in exactly the same way I use my fire poi.It's kind of like overcoming your fear of the flames. Once you have done this anything is possible.Just don't ever forget what beaming poi are capable of, particularly when people ask you if they can borrow them. I suggewst you say no.... unless they can prove to you that they are capable of handling them.Finn smile

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
and I suggest that you become practised and firm with saying "no"... wink<>

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmmm, hamsters are soft and fluffy............but they have sharp pointy teeth and so should maybe be classed as "potentially dangerous" and only used for twirling by experienced animal handlers.Boiled potatoes and soft fruit can be useful for beginners. They have a comfortable weight and break apart on impact to prevent personal injury. They also taste nice and can be eaten when you need a break from spinning.I hope this helpsNoodsP.S. I have found that balls of string/wool are quite good and if your strings break - you've got plenty of replacements immediately to hand!

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible