nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Are there any poipeople from Boston or Cambridge MA in this group? I have recently started to spin fire and am wondering where i could do it without being bothered by the police. Cops in Boston are very conservative and as far as i understood any open flame is forbidden (even on a beach, how ridiculous). I tried to call the fire safety dpt of Cambridge. They're a little cooler but told me to ask the City of Cambridge what public places would be OK.Maybe fire spinners in other US cities can share where they do it and how they found out about it. Thanks everyone.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Nomad....I am from WNY and this is what I did (do)...nay city or township I am going to spin fire in that I don't know the regualtions I call the fire chief or fire Marshall. While they might put you through the wringer as far as fuels and safety, they can still give you all the info you want about local ordinances.Any fire station should be able to direct you in to the right guy.Hope this helps.Happy burning!!! smile------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
nomad - when you do find some good places, if any, tell me. I live south of boston. I have only used non-fire poi so far but will probably start using fire soon. I didn't know it would be that much of a hassle.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
we'll see if this goes through....I'm in Mystic, connecticut but my brother is in boston. Usually we spin somewhat surreptitiously on the beaches of rhode Island. I don't know that he has tried to do any fire out in the open in boston but I will ask him. and if you are my brother, hey how are ya? smileperhaps we should have a southern new england get together thingie?Peregrine

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Peregrine, i'm not your brother unfortunately... smile But if you get in touch with him, i'd be VERY interested in finding out if he found places to spin fire in the boston area.So far i spun a couple of times in a friend's house backyard in Marblehead (north shore) and in a small Mission Hill parking lot. There's a baseball field (public i guess) by my apt in Jamaica Plain where i'll probably try once and see what happens.When the weather starts being warmer, you, me and Spiffspiff should get together on some beach and spin. I know 3 other poiers in Boston. Maybe we should start something smile

xestrelmember
9 posts

Posted:
Hey hey... this is peregrine's bro. I haven't actually performed in Boston... just practice with unlit poi in back yard (I'm living in Chestnut Hill)We should get together sometime... I wonder what one has to do to find out is people can do fire poi. I'm willing to bet that the middle of a baseball field is probably a good place to go.