xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
What does anyone think of chains or wire?Which one is safer or easier to control.

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
chains are heavier and are harder to untangle..but cable or wire can get kinks in it, which will make them pretty much useless after awhile if you tangle them..so in other words, try not to tangle them, your hooped either way

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Regular link-chain is heaviest, and most prone to tangling.Cable is the lightest option, but as RL points out, prone to getting kinks. I don't think that makes cable useless, but that's just my opinion.I really think your best bet is ball-chain, which is least prone to tangling, untangles most easily, and is a little heavier than cable. It also swivels at every link--with link-chain or cable, you should build a swivel in somewhere. Get a pretty heavy grade of ball-chain though, as the light stuff does not stand up to the forces of twirling (much less fire twirling).

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Keltmember
34 posts

Posted:
I'm currently using cable - but then again, this is my first set. I HAVE noticed a tendency for the cable to kink up a bit...I might go for chain in the future.--------------------Let me stand next to yourFire, fire on the mountain...

Let me stand next to yourFire, fire on the mountain...

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
it doesn't make them useless..but less effective..what do I know, I use staff.. but I'm a perfectionist. Just knowing that the leather on my staff has a string with a knot at one end and smooth at the other makes me think it is slightly off balance.so, kinked cables are just one of those things that would bug the hell out of me. but they will still work.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I've only used chains, but I don't think they have much of a tendency to tangle. I do alot of wraps and recoils too. I think it must be the type of chain I am using though. I have seen a lot of chain that has sharp edges and stuff which would definitly get hung up on everything. But, I only use chains that are welded at every link, and smooth, so that when I wrap and recoil the chains slide against my skin, clothing (and eachother) relatively easy. By far the best chains I have ever found is the stuff on dog leashes (the thin type). It is welded, smooth, chrome plated and each link is also twisted about 90 degrees...thus making for an ultra smooth sliding action because of the lack of empty space.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
but do they have an all over cover to help stop fluffing? winklol...ahh I crack myself up.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

daskmember
53 posts

Posted:
It depends on YOU !!!try them both and then make a choice but always keep both with you.I started with chains, it was too heavy and too suceptible to tangle so I happily used cables for 3 month now that I'm comfortable with most of the moves I tried chains again and I find them perfect. I took a great lenght of chains 1.50 meters that I can warp and unwarp around my hands while spinning to adjust their lenght to the move... ex: very long for overthehead butter fly or windmill... shorter for mexican weave or behind the back moves.But cables are deinitly easier to start with...I hope this will help.Dask

o]-[DasK]-[o

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
yeah its personal choice, ive used both chain and cable and had the opportunity to have a twirl with ball chain (thanx Adamrice) and found that i didnt like the ball chain very much even though the swivel properties were good.All comes down to what feels best for you. Suggest trying them all.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Chains are chains smileI like chains. they tangle, but are easily untangled..I've never had any problems with em...they are more gothic / bondage than cable and ball chain IMHO...eh, personal preference I guess..Josh

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Yeah im a chain girl myself

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -