PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Hasnt been mentioned before so . . .

For clarification:Airwrap definition - The one I am talking about is the Hyperloop variation where the Poi stay on the same side of the body

Just do an airwrap while going up in a corkscrew! The Poi always are below your arms (This is the difference to the normal corkscrew Hyperloop)

Its a nice variation and actually easier for beginners! One of the problems with weave-airwraps is to keep the momentum of the Poi exactly equal (otherwise they tangle - I think you know what I mean ). This is difficult since one Poi is moving up, one is moving down. But in a Corkscrew both Poi have the same momentum.
And if you try to improve doing multiple airwraps in a row the corkscrew version is the best to start with - they "drop down" nicely after the tangle and you can easily do the next one, and the next one ... (At least its easier than multiple airwraps in the weave version )

Further more there are more nice variations to it: Doing them while going down in the corcscrew you have the standard hyperloop version (I know you can discuss about this - but anyway), and then go directly into the one described above - this would be the horizontal version of THIS move

hope at least one can follow . . .

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
Yep. But i think u missed the "wrap in front and unwrap behind" or "wrap behind and unwrap in front" But my fav is both of those, 1 after the other. A.K.A flaming halo. Its pretty cool, cept the smell of burning hair.

Are you describing doing it on the side of your body, instead of infront? the chains wrap on the rightside, go over ya head and unwrap on ya left?

And i thought for it to be a hyperloop it has to buzzsaw. Well i guess all nexus moves are the same anyways.

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
i dont geddit

you mean the airwrap definition of the chains tangle while your hands are crossed? or the one where the chains tangle close to the handles? Is it the kind of airwrap that glas does on Spinning in Paris where you don't have to transfer to the other side(or in this case transfer up) to untangle? I've been workin on(slowly) a version of the (standard?) corkscrew hyperloop where the chains tangle mid chain, tangle all the way down to the poi hedz, then while untangling(at a pretty nice speed) you can invert it, even drop it thru your arms again. Wish I hadda way to convert vids to digi...soon, hopefully

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
@Taniwha07 - The one you describe seems not to be the airwrap i am talking about. To wrap from one side to the other would be the "normal" hyperloop. And from back to front would be the Windmill hyperloop - or a tangled corkscrew buzzsaw hyperloop taken from one side to the other

@musashi - cheers, seems to be the old airwrap, hyperloop, nexus . . . confusion. It is the one where the hands stay same position and the Poi stay on the same side of the body. The tangle happens at the lower half of the chain, closer to the Poi head. Glass does them in Spinning in Paris. Not the buzzsaw ones taken between his arms - the ones before (sorry dont have the vid here otherwise I could tell you the exact position in the vid)

Try to do the corkscrew with seperated arms - The Poi just do round circles under your arms. The planes do not intersect(From top view it would look like an 8). Now let the chains tangle roughly 10cm away from the Poi head. The Poi just smoothly tangle around each other. But if you do it while in the upward corkscrew movement they tangle below hand level and immediately untangle a little bit above hand level. And due to gravity drop down again doing the circles below your arms like before.

It has a "little bit" of Devil stick look because you "kick" a small circle of fire up between your arms -

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I get that. And i dont think that it has been mentoned before. To me, all airwraps are exactly the same, no matter where you do them, even "buzzsaw".

The main thing is u should learn all basic moves and most advanced moves before you try to learn any airwraps, because your body learns the planes that u will be using when doing air wraps.

As the name imply'z it is actually a wrap. Which means u should learn alot of wraps before air wraps, they are nearly exactly the same, once you have mastered bth wraps its alot eaiser to get bth air wraps. I know u think this is off topic, but it works both ways. Corkscrew and windmill are the same move, therefor u'd need to learn corkscrew wraps to fully understand corkscrew air wraps. Otherwise its real confusing not fully knowing or understanding what is really happening with the poi.

I know, it took me ages to be able to just count rotations and beat's, but once u have the base moves covered it all fits together.

Its all the same, i found that u can airwrap into buzzsaw and back into another airwrap into horozontal buzzsaw and form so many different beats and rotations that names just dont matter anymore, cause tomorrow you'll find 50 new and better variations and keep growing.

Actually, im soo amped right now im going to go out and try to add your corkscrew air wrap into a combo. Thankz.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I don't think wraps really help with airwraps/hyperloops.. a wrap has recoil.. and for the most part does the work itself, by which I mean that if you hit the body part, it will wrap and unwrap itself going a reverse direction.

an airwrap on the other hand, does the work, but you have to hit right, hold your hands right, and continue on where you left off (meaning going the same way)...

that's like saying learning a butterfly will help you do a weave..

but that's just me..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

PoiBoxmember
85 posts

Posted:
Mr. Taniwha, I think we are kind of fighting at the same frontier but I do not really understand some of ur points:

"all airwraps are exactly the same" - are you talking about general tangling of the chains or the version I was describing above ?

"u should learn all basic moves and most advanced moves before you try to learn any airwraps" - I think you should learn hyperloops as early as possible in order to get the logic behind it. For example if I teach Hyperloops to people who have just learned the weave they get it quite fast (or even can do it before the weave ) but if you show it to spinners who do the weave for some time already, they have problems with it because it is against their "routine" of doing the weave

"u should learn alot of wraps before air wraps, they are nearly exactly the same" - Im with Rev and dont really know what kind of wrap ur talking about ?!?

"i found that u can airwrap into buzzsaw and back into another airwrap into horozontal buzzsaw and form so many different beats and rotations that names just dont matter anymore" - totally agree on that and in my oppinion hyperloops (and especially isolations) can be a complete spinning style of their own giving Poi a totally new experience. But therefore you have to learn it step by step, and in order to do so and to communicate it to others you have to name the different variations.
Especially the horizontal (corkscrew) hyperloops are different from the vertical ones. And this is what I wanted to point out in this thread

Cheers mate - always nice to have the feeling that somebody is with you on the same line

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
all nexus moves are the same, but they are all different too. Confuse-ush say... man who stands on toilet in high on pot"

After you perfect these nexus moves, (airwrap hyperloops, etc) then start using stalls and recoils in the middle of the move (that is, halfway through the completion of the move, add a poi head recoil off your body)

maybe even grab one poi immediatly after you form the nexus.

BTW I have seen FOUR distinct corkscrew nexus moves. One moves similar to a butterfly. One has a buzzsaw in the middle (but more like crossed arm buzzsaw nexus). One is like a normal corkscrew. And the final involes a little isolation, (normal) buzzsaw and a turn and is more like a sideways weave nexus.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
I wasn't talkin about recoil wraps when i said they are simila moves. If u wrap a single time from a weave around your wrist, turn and un-weave/ un-wrap, then that movement is nearly exactly the same as a airwrap from a weave. The chains are just moved down form what would normally be your arm and connect to the chain.

Yea, all this is real confusing ecpecially when there are 100 different variations of that move alone.
quote:
"all airwraps are exactly the same" - are you talking about general tangling of the chains or the version I was describing above ?

The 1 you described is the same as the flaming halo, except it is on another plane. Unless i totally misunderstood what u were describing.

I was mainly talking about a single thru wrap, instead of the arm being the axis, the chain becomes the axis.

Id have to agree with Dantana, there are alot more nexus moves and variations to be found.

In saying that, you have the right to believe that a corkscrew hyp and a windmill hyp are totally different moves, just as i do to think they are exactly the same... and noone will ever know who is truly right. cool move thought dude, it fits in my combo real good.

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by PoiBox:
in my oppinion hyperloops (and especially isolations) can be a complete spinning style of their own giving Poi a totally new experience. But therefore you have to learn it step by step
I agree.. I'm so tired of normal spinning that I'm learning hyperloops everywhere so that I don't have to spin regiular anymore... tangled twirling is the shizznit... especially with isolations..

"If u wrap a single time from a weave around your wrist, turn and un-weave/ un-wrap, then that movement is nearly exactly the same as a airwrap from a weave."

I can see what you mean... although they are inverted.. sometimes.. but e ven then I'd be hesitant to make that leap.. but I do see where you are coming from now..

I think the airwrap/hyperloop stuff falls into a more technical side of poi.. and before I get jumped, let me explain why...
airwraps involve a non correctional form of twirling, because you can correct yourself at any point of your normal twirling, but not with hyperloops.. You have to get it right from the minute they wrap, or else it goes to crap..

anyway.. I think I'm getting off topic... that's happened a lot lately.. one mroe time and I'm changing my name..

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
I just learned this trick and it's pretty repeatable. Airwrap on verticle plane in front of you, you cross arms and throw it over you head and the plane the poi are spinning on is upside down and they untangle. My best is this trick right into a 3 beat airwrap. I do this from forwards weave, right over left, instead of crossing over your left hand you just leave it out and tangel the strings. THis is a differetn tangle then the 3 beat airwrap, because it's on the verticle plane in front of you.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

infraBRONZE Member
29 posts
Location: Texas(now), Scotland / Northern Italy (usually in ...

Posted:
What are Hyperloops?

hello?

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
dynamic airwraps.

hyperloop means it moves....
airwrap means it stays in the same place..

wink

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
There is one difference that I found with horizontal hyperloop(air wrap, whatever its called ).
In vertical u can do one buzzsaw hyperloop(from left or right, bw or fw, doesnt matter), but
u can do transition with hyper-loop between TWO buzzsaw in hoizontal. It because in both directions of Poi there are two "top and bottom" hand positions.

POI THEO(R)IST