Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Flipping and rolling with poi

Login/Join to Participate

Zyanya BellaBRONZE Member
70 posts

Posted:
I'm having an issue. I've been trying to master a flip or a roll while spinning with poi. I can't quite get the logistics of it down. I think a flip would work better than a roll. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Always Beautiful

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i dont beleive i could do this but what of a jup and role over a buzzsaw? could look sweet but will proberbly damb hard to pull off

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it's easier if you tuck your body early and sweep the poi under your body before the flip or tumble roll. sweep earlier and you will not break the flow of your poi movement.
I'd put it on video but i'd rather spend that time professing a love of staff instead

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

6,978 posts

Posted:
erm which move?
the first post refers to flips or (tumble) rolls, and i need to know if they are fwd/bkwrds or sideways.
the second post refers to what amounts to a fierce tumble from a front/low buzzsaw. sounds like a move for beachsand!

btw STAFF RAWKS!
love a staff today.

AtomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
search for SAGE, she has a video clip on here that she does a few variations of flips and things, i think she is awesome

go to the video section of HoP

F I R E F I R E F I R E F I R E F I R E
F I R E F I R E F I R E F I R E F I R E

6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah and her tumbling's ace too
before anyone intending to work on tumble rolls and is reading this, PLEASE tuck your chin into your chest when starting out with the basic forward roll.

Non-Https Image Link

in the semi-relevant illustration above, (only the second & third from the left figures apply) note how the head is waaaaay into the chest - this is to minimise the chance that your head/neck having to support the weight of your body. There is more safety tips in the image-link above that i cannae be bothed repeating at this time... excepting that
soft surfaces like beach sand, crashmats or jelly forgive bad form and will hurt your spine less.i re-iterate the importance of tucking your chin in!!there is no third pointand the fourth point has buggered off somewhere down the road..In Conclusion, 'Finding Nemo' is a good book and i give it four stars.

[ 16. September 2003, 23:41: Message edited by: bender™ ]

70 posts

Posted:
must find big cushy mat for practice....

Always Beautiful

Anna-panannaThinking...
179 posts

Posted:
I saw a guy do a buzzsaw (which I call wheel actually- I assume it's the same thing), which he then moved through between his legs and behind him so he was bent right over with his head right at his knees and he just did a forward roll, while keeping the buzsaw going...and he just pulled the buzzsaw back up with him as he got up from the roll! It looked absolutely wicked (but quite scary!)....I figured it's just a case of getting flexible enough to get your hands stuck right out between you legs, and then mastering the art of a no handed forward roll! Then just a little practice to keep the wheel/buzzsaw smooth!

Practice as if your hair was on fire...

WhiteFoxmember
23 posts

Posted:

oops i was reading benders pic the wrong way and thought he was doing a backwards flip onto his head with his staff spinning on his belly...HOLY SHIT that would be increadible

do it

i like pie

WhiteFoxmember
23 posts

Posted:
btw...trampoline

i like pie

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
As well as doing buzzsaw rolls, if you bring poi down from butterfly, thru your legs you can do a fwds roll.

I can also do a shaky backwards butterfly roll from a low backwards butterfly to forwards btb butterfly but this is a bit of a hazard for your neck.

My advice would be the shorter the chains the easier any roll moves are.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

6,978 posts

Posted:
NNOoooo!..the...tri..am...poline..haunts me so!

70 posts

Posted:
you can do some incredibly cool things on a trampoline. I just have a hard time doing them off the trampoline. hmmm...poi spinning on a trampoline....

Always Beautiful

6,978 posts

Posted:
but..the ..triampoline ..commands...me!

laZyBRONZE Member
94 posts

Posted:
Doing tumbles is easy. ( a flip but you usually don't land back on your feet)

How To:
The easiest is to do a front tumble, all you gotta know how to do is a forward roll.
Now (without poi) and on some grass do the froward roll but when you go to put your head on the ground, don't, keep you head off the ground at all costs, (In order to do this you gotta (at first) put your hands down) now just roll over. You did your first tumble! Curl your back and you should land smoothly.

Now slowly do it faster and from a greater height.

Eventually you will not need your hands and all you do is a front flip landing on your back.

The Warning:
Take the steps really slowly or I can gaurantee that you will hurt yourself. Keep your back curled and your legs tucked in.

The Bail: (if you mess up half way over)
If your going to hit your head then in order to bail just put you hands on the ground and if you are over vertical then tuck you head in and try not to bend your arms any more than they are already. This will mean that your head ( If done properly) will not touch the ground. If you are not over vertical then you should just land back on your feet.

The Disclaimer:
Thsi has to be said. Doind this stuff is dangerous. By reading this post it means that I take no responsibility in anything that happens to you while attempting this move or any other tumble/flip.

The Tips:
Fear. Get it sorted or it will mean that you will mess up
Pain. It doesn't hurt that much!
Practice. Lots!
Trampolines. Yes theyre good fun, but they do not help at all. If you can do it on a trampoline it bares no resembelence to the real thing. So don't bother, just start with the ground okay.
Injury. It can happen. If it does then stop, heal and try again CAREFULLY!!!

Good luck!!

laZy

as laZy as .....

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ive been doing basic forward rolls with poi for a couple of months, normally with both poi in one hand swinging together.

i tend to roll over one shoulder, while swinging the the poi in the other hand.

it does seem to be mostly psychological... just getting comfortable with diving head first into the ground!!!

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Got a front flip a couple of weeks back...

Forwards circles with fairly short chains (or they just hit the floor and look messy) and away you go.

Also been racticing one handed cartwheels with both poi in the other hand. All good fun...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

70 posts

Posted:
I was trying this weird kind of thing. Laying on my back doing a behind the butt butterfly and rolling over my head...didn't work to well..though behind the butt poi is quite hysterical...

Always Beautiful

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
butt flies!! spank

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Sounds like the second half of a backwards roll to me...

Nietzsche

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Rolling over a buzzsaw is very easy actually, assuming your shortening the chains a whole bunch. Once you learn how to do a tumble, it's very easy to just roll right over it. Kinda tricky keeping the momentum to roll back up onto your feet smoothly, but thats a different problem entirely.

One of my favorite dives with poi is swinging them backwards (Coming at your head), taking a few steps forward for speed while letting the chains wrap around my hands. Just before they hit your hands, if you do a forward tumble (Just dive at the ground and roll over your back, not the neck) they will reverse direction and its normally pretty easy to come right back up to your feet to continue with a forward weave or some such variation.

One that I have set my goal for is a butterfly kick sweep. Basically you throw your body horizontal, swinging the poi under you and back above you before putting down the leg you want to land on. Problem: It appears you need to be able to jump real high to pull this off. I still can't get the timing right. Possible variation: turn the butterfly kick into a barrel roll... IN THEORY this should look like a continuous weave turn, only horizontal.

Doing actual flips should be possible, but you would have to be so comfortable doing them that you could still keep track of how the inertia is affecting the poi heads swinging between your arms. Oh and the hardest part of all this really seems to be plane control... takes some precision to pull off some of these, especially the butterfly kick ones... if you don't time them right you'll hit or wrap around your landing leg (I've swept myself so many times with my staff...) biggrin

Cheers and good luck! If you get anything cool make a video.

joulzenlightened
187 posts

Posted:
screw all these technical discussin crap if u can do a flip u can do it but yoir poi will definitely do more spins thatn u and in the end it would look absolutely amazing!! ao try to do it and keep us updated on how it tunrns out

it must be green

70 posts

Posted:
I almost have the roll with the buzzsaw but i keep hitting myself in the face on the way back up..can't figure out how to tuck the poi close enough to me without hurting myself....

Always Beautiful

GiGi-D L'Amourmember
19 posts

Posted:
well my BF does chain whip... 10ft chain 1 wick based on martial arts rope dart or chain whip. There are ALOT of rolling flipping and tumbling moves on video when you look up chain whip, rope dart or double chain whip they look awsome I am sure if you find those videos on the web it will give you the spark to get going.

GiGi-D L'Amour
If you can't be normal make everyone else wish they weren't

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
The trick with the roll over is locking your arms to one length. You kind of have to put your arms on auto while you pay attention to your roll. On the way up, it may be easier to simply roll up into a weave until you can do the buzzsaw the whole way through the trick.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
mmmm backwards somersaults.

me thinks it will be even easier with doubles staffs coz there momentum and inertia can be used to emphasise the point of rotation.

up, jump up!!!

smiles

Love is the law.

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
You can also do a roll backwards if you do a buzzsaw in front of you. Howevver I can`t do a buzzsaw all the way upp becase I must put my hand on the sides of me to get up. Anyone that can do it without hands? *curios*
EDITED_BY: like my poi, my heart is on fire (1121508182)

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."