Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Parallel Fountain - Reverse weave

Login/Join to Participate

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Parallel Weave - Reverse weave: This post started as a post about "Parallel Fountains", so I wont change the heading, but it's really just about the "reverse weave". Read on at your own peril

Parallel weaves have come up a few times in recent posts, especially in conjunction with the butterfly weave.

Cheep and nasty: Like a butterfly transfer, except in parallel. Parallel means, keeping the poi together like in chasing-the sun. So in this one when you lean to the right, have your left wrist over your right. Then, when you lean to the left, you also have your left wrist over your right. Keeps poi in parallel. Bounce it around and see what happens.

Basics: This is basic, and probably superfluous, so just skip it if you like. Parallel weaves, are just that - moves done in parallel. Both poi go to the right (for a series of parallel moves to the right), or to the left (for series of parallel moves to the left).

For this description, we are going to the right. Start spinning clockwise circles, in front of the body, shoulder width apart - like this 0 0. Poi are travelling laterally (side to side) not forwards.

If you lean to your right side a bit, or even turn the torso and just let the poi swing outward, the poi will swing forward circles (away from your, to the right). Look at your wrists, your right hand is on the bum or posterior side of the body while you left remains on the front or anterior side.

Do a few beats and turn back to the front to where you started. The poi should be swinging parallel in front of the body again, both poi going clockwise.

This time, lean to the left and the poi will do backward circles. No probs. That’s the basic pattern. Lean right and do a few forward beats, return to the front for a few beats, then lean left for a few backwards beats. Poi in parallel.

Parallel weave - arm and hand cross: When you lean to the right, this time, just cross your arms, left wrist over right and do a few beats. It feels weird because of the cross, and the left hand is now on the on the bum or posterior side of the body. Do a few beats and return to the front.

For the cross to the left side of the body, also keep your left wrist on top ie. left over right. Do a few beats and return to the front. Bounce from side to side, and I hope that's the parallel weave. Remember to keep the poi spinning in parallel, and avoid changing direction when you cross to the left side of the body. These are 2-beat moves, done in wall plane. You can put the extra beats and turns in later.

I read another description somewhere, and they referred to keeping the "left-wrist-on-top, when, the-wrists-are-crossed" as the reverse chase/weave, as opposed to the backwards chase/weave. Confused the shit out of me.

The split-time shift happens when you combine circles on the right (bum or posterior side) with circles on the left (front or anterior side) of the body. That's about all I've got so far

Edits: I think for the actual parallel fountain you do it shoulder high, and it's right over left with arms and wrists. And, while Mark P has posted some seriously great photos, I don't see why you couldn't make a similar pattern with a parallel fountain
Cheers

[ 30 August 2002, 21:09: Message edited by: Stone ]

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Stone, there are quite a few threads discussing 'the fountain' to be found.

The general conclusion is that a fountain is as follows :

Forwards weave.
Turn 180° into reverse weave.
Turn 180° back into forwards weave putting in a windmill on the way.

I used to think it had a windmill in each of the weave turns but was corrected recently.
Here is what the fountain looks like with the extra windmill (with wire wool long exposure)

Mark P

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Humble apologies Mark P. Perhaps I should have called the thread Parallel Weaves, a move that has been hinted at by our english friends in recent threads, but no one bothered to explain.

Anyhow, Schatz calls it a Parallel Fountain, and that is heaps good enough for me, and his name certainly would have precedence.

But it's the move I want to discuss not the name. Thanks for the "sparky poi" but no reverse weave here

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
whatch out for schatz I think I remember that on fountains, his definintion is different to the definition of fountain from every other club swinger I've met!
schatz certainly aint got a presedence on this one

Stone, any chance you could redraft that first post, cos for a start weaves aint fountains.
and there are bits in there that arn't to clear to me.
+ if you are club swinging and doing a fountain properly you don't need to turn your body at all.

Either way its not any of the blindingly simple parallel weaves as I'd define them. So this is something else.

to tired and still working for any more, back tomorrow

Great photo mark

glass

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Glass the move is simple, the description is difficult, so I’m looking forward to some of your blindingly simple parallel weaves. I only decided to learn the move last night, and yeah the description is a bit rough, so I’d go through it again tonight.

True, calling it a fountain was asking for trouble. Tis a parallel move though. And, as I pointed out above, some people call the "left hand always on top" when the hands are crossed, the reverse chase/weave, as opposed to the backwards chase/weave.

Care to recommend any good books with easier descriptions, remembering Jillings is out of print.

tureKmember
11 posts

Posted:
those pictures are great Mark P! but could you tell me how you can do those sparkles coming out of your poi?

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
tureK - do a search on poi or technical section and just type in Wire Wool

This has been discussed in a lot of detail before

Mark P

tureKmember
11 posts

Posted:
ok i'm searching i just haven't seen pictures like these before. and they're looking really great thnx

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ha, mr glass you were right. I was just banging on about the reverse weave. The weave done in reverse. So simple, and I'm from DownUndur.

Anyhow, I'm still looking forward to learning those "blindingly simple parallel weaves" sometime.

Cya