Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 5 beat weav, only one question

Login/Join to Participate

DiLmember
5 posts

Posted:
I know this topic has been covered and infintesmal amoutn of times, and believe me, ive read the topics, heres what i dont get though, when i go from left to right side, my poi always tangle. Anyone else have this problem when learning? if so, what can be done to correct it?Im me @ o0 DILicious 0oWoot woot!

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Yeah, had that problem too.Cracked it a couple of weeks ago.My advice, try keeping you wrists twisted as you cross your body (this also lets you do five beats properly) this seems to have the effect of stopping the strings tangling.Also don't wear a watch or large bracelets, i took my watch off, made it a lot easier.I find my handss are twisted by about an extra 180 degrees so going from right to left, my left hand is actually on top..did that help??and can i call i point cos you could of re-opened a previous topic, or am i just being silly..shoot me..Tom

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
not sure if this will help, but try spinning the right poi faster then the left just for that second that you are bringing it over to the left side...

anyone got a light?

rexmember
263 posts

Posted:
faster? i had to slow it down just a bit at first... and whip my hands over to the left side a little quicker.yea just try to tangle your wrists, instead of the strings smileand i'm with Tom. point. the purpose of a search is 2 fold.. to find the info you want, or revive an old thread if you have an additional question about said subject that hasn't been covered...right? err.. at least that's what *i'd* do..

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
With the five beat weave, it's all in the wrists! Keep those wrists nice and loose and flowy, let them rotate and bend with the centrifugal force. A loose, flexing wrist gives you those precious miliseconds you need to get back over to the other side and not get them tangled. Let us know how it goes!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
yeah, crossing your body with your wrists crossed really is helpful...aside from that, i have no other pearls of wisedom about the 5 beat...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Just got the reverse 5-beat last week, and this really helped (I presume it works for forward as well):For the extra beats, cross your entire forearms over so that one elbow is on top of the other, or even slightly past it. On the left side, for a reverse 5-beat your right elbow should be on top; for a forwards 5-beat, the left arm should be on top. Swap these over for the right side.Also, I'm with protozoa on the wrist thing. I find I have to rotate my wrists a lot more to prevent the trailing poi from catching up.J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
hrrm...

so, is this cheating? I was messing around with a five-beat in the courtyard today, and i ca nget it if i let the fifth rotation wrap on my wrist, bring my hands across, and let in unwrap. It's not the smoothest things you ever saw yet but it's better tahn my three-beat looked when i started it and i think i can smooth it out at leats a little with practice... if i just let the chain's twist they seem to get stuck, i could try it wiht my other (slightly better) chains when i get home, but is it bad to le tit take that wrap on your wrist?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
I had the same fault but when going from right to the left, I found over exagerating the move across your body sorted it, moving your arms and your body at the same time.
:0)~
It's a sweet move to get down.

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
now would ANYONE please explain what a 5 beat weave is (i tried search honest to god i did!!!)
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I always thought the Poi-lessons explanation was a pretty good one.

https://www.homeofpoi.com/new14.htm

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Though i have to say the explanation of the reverse 5-beat needs some more thought added to it lol.

That explanation really pissed me off when i still had to learn the move lol.

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
DUH!!!
thanx
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

Sepamember
184 posts

Posted:
Got it! Got it! Got it! Or at least, I think I did!

I got the 5 beat from right to left one day, and then got the 5 beat from left to right a couple of days later. I think it looks lopsided, though, but I'm pretty sure it is right.

Now I have to crack the reverse 5 beat... does it ever end?? And would I really want it to end?? NO!

Btw, I found that I didn't get the 5 beat until I got the 4 beat corkscrew - before then I didn't really understand the concept of adding in extra beats so had no idea how or what I had to do to get there.