Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How do you double poi with one hand???

Login/Join to Participate

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
everytime i try poi'ing with two strings on one hand, i wind up getting them crossed, tangled or knotted. i want to eventually move on to doubles with both hands, but i need to figure one hand out first!!! i'm like god with two in separate hands (normal)for my age (15), but this is just beyond me!!! i know practice is the key, but any sugestions/moves??? PLUR!!!Men have died from tyme to tyme and worms have eaten them. But not for love. But above all let music be the food of love.Play On!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
sup man? the only move i have down well one handed is the One handed butterfly.I have nailed a weave a couple of times, but not for very long. I think it ismore of a rythm thing. But i would love to leanr to do it well and incorporate it in my spinning.Your the 3rd person dropping the plurr on this board. i was suspose to hit up a rave tomorrow night here in Houston. DJ Mia is gona be there, but alas i think i will not make it.Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I was talking with Ben about this at the ECSF a few months back. Ben has been doing poi an d staff for three years now, but he says that although he has tried a single chain he has not been able to get anywhere -- that it is extremely difficult.I tried for the first time last weekend when I had many hours to kill. I was trying the single-handed butterfly, and just holding the handles by squeezing them between my thumb and index finger. I kept the rest of my fingers extended because they were just so much fun to watch. Because of this, I wound up doing more weave stuff than butterfly stuff. I discovered that I could do the weave while holding the thumb/index finger of my left hand against the pinky in my right. I did this for "a while" to get a feel of the hand motions. Once I had that down, I transfered the poi from my left hand to my right pinky and GADS! I was able to get maybe 4-5 cycles of a 1-handed weave before losing it in the same way you describe. This is *definitely* something to work on. I'm sure it won't be easy, but the results will be well worth it!-p.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Single chain is fun! I guess it helps to be temporarily satisfied with simple weaves and fountains and wraps and whatnot, plus mine's really heavy so i usually wear myself out in like 15 mins. I'd recommend anyone who does poi (or i guess staff since once you get it moving quickly and fluidly it moves like one) Try it!

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
u usually put one string between my index and thumband the other between my pinky and other fingerthats how i do the butterflySHould i go to starscape in Maryland?its an outside "rave"I wanna show off my skilzi gots mad skilzi can jump over butterflies every time now!

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
hell yah, go! i fully support the rave scene! grin it's also a REALLY good place to learn new moves from fellow poi'ers! i'd say if ya feel confident and whether or not your any good, if you're feeling the energy, the crowed will too! have a blast! grin grin------------------My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Laurencemember
5 posts

Posted:
hi plazma i find that doing 2 poi in 1 hand it's alot about finger work ,like if you hold them in you're hand then you can't move them indepentently. you need to be able to do this to stop them getting tangled ,i atatch one to my index finger and one on my little finger. I don't know if that help's you with you're inquirey at all but good luck smile p.s i wish i could show you it'would be alot easyer hehe

touchBRONZE Member
61 posts

Posted:
hey plazma.What you have to work on is wrapping one poi around your wrist. this will let you keep them seperate and keep them moving. by doing this you should be able to move quite* freely.don`t try to think it through pick up ya poi!------------------peace, love and light*TOUCH*

"Music is my mother...and my father...it is my work and my rest...my blood...my compass...my love" Jeff Buckley.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
one-handed..let's see..I learned just about all my one-handed moves from this basic move..I put one poi on my index and one on my pinky finger. Then leading with my index finger and my fingers all spread out(like you would to make a high five), but every knucle is bent. I lead going upward to do a one-handed corkscrew. When they come down, make sure your index finger is still leading.Hope this helps..plur,CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-