Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
As i've recently been instructing a friend in how to use poi, i've been getting to see a lot of my moves from the audience. Pretty often, and especially when there's someone else there, we'll try to mirror each other. Its pretty cool. I was just curious if anyone knew of any moves to do with two twirlers, games to play other than mirror, etc. -Mr Sock

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
yea i got one for ya. it's been in other posts and me and n8 do it. it's called the hug of death. you do a butterfly with your elbows wide and your partener slips in through your arms entering from your side. your partener then hugs you and does a butterfly behind your back. it's looks awesome and is fun to do.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

EnigmAmember
20 posts

Posted:
You can try swinging underneath your partner as he jumps over it and you duck under his. Much like the way capoeira people do with their legs. use padded poi and maybe start off with only one until you become more comfortable with your timing and coordination.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Thanks Enigma, that sounds tight. I'll definitely try the hug as soon as i find a girl who spins, but with two guys its kinda unfortunate :P

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Another way to do the "hug" is to have one person doing a standard butterfly and the other doing a btb butterfly. The two approach, nearly touching, and on the count of three you transition to swing behind your partner. Protozoa and I have done this a few times with streamers, but not yet with fire.Another cool move with two people is to stand back to back and do the weave, alternating sides. Spinning to music with a strong beat really helps you keep in time on this one, and approaching back to back requires some verbal communication as well. I can picture one person doing a reverse weave and walking up behind the other, then transitioning into forward weave while turning arround. Never actually reied this one, though.Something I just thought up would be for two people to approach while just doing a simple forward swing. Hands come together doing a butterfly with your partner.-p.-p.

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hey pj...how about both people doing behind the back BF, walk up to each other then both peeps cross them in fornt of each other, but behind the other's back------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

FiReSpRiTemember
23 posts

Posted:
::reads all the posts:: ::gasps!::omg! ive never thought about anything you could do with two peeps besides mirroring!::looks at shibaki and crd::we gotta try some of these blush)

Its hard not to play when theres so many toys.

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Wraps around a partner work well. The one wrap that i've done around another person(tho not with someone spinning) is a one-hand fwd butterfly to one-hand backward butterfly. Concieveably two people could do this simultaneously or a beat off. One that just occured to me, the two performers approach each other forward (or backward) spinning. One straightens their arms out at their sides, the other wraps around their elbow. Then the one who just did the wrap straightens his arms allowing his partner to duplicate. Since its a beat off conceviably you could loop it, something like 3 reps would probably look really hot if excecuted quickly. Enjoy. smile

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
By the way, pj, that weave move sounds incredible! Can't wait to try it out, my partner's gonna think i've gone nuts though. grin

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
i was just thinking instead of using your poi to interact with others why can you not use one of your poi and one of the others...so say you could stand face to face then with arms straight out at the sides you could do a really interactive weave, one on each side, or just both people facing each other just doing fwd swing at your sides you have two butterflys!!! this kinda shit could be sooooo hard to cordinate and learn but i tell you im going around to me mates house tonight to get him to try it with me.!!!!COOOOOOLLLL thankyou guys for the idea i want to play!!!! smile smile smile

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
i can just imagine something like some ballroom dancing!! one poi per persone doing the tango with the weave going on at the end!!!

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
my brother -in - law and i did this once..it lasted for about 10 secs...we stood side to side. I had a poi in my right hand, he had on e in his left. Then we did a corkscrew, and then took it into a windmill..we ended up smaking our selves alot before we finally got it..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

Nicmember
18 posts

Posted:
My brother and i do this: If you each do the rev. weave, standing back to back with your timing right, you can each take one step forward as you turn to do a normal weave facing each other, each other's poi then weave "through each other", as the paths are now basically in the same place. And from there you can do crossflows, windmills, circles, etc. as long as you keep your timing tight and keep your orientation (make sure you end up facing each other again)Try it out.

Gooi nat, or don't gooi at all.*Nic*

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
this is great , n8 and i have been looking for more tricks. we have the hug of death and have done the crossover back to back, we are working on doing the weave back to back. and have pulled off the two butterflys, one on each side of us will facing each other. i'll have to start some wraps and stuff. when we perfect our timing it should kick ass. hope sometime we get to show all of you in person. love you all, keep ideas coming.PLUR

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

spinmember
10 posts

Posted:
I've never heard anyone on here speak of this move but if you do a butterfly so that you switch which hand is on top on each pass like a TTN with crossing your hands. It splits so that it looks like an "X". Hope you all got that. if you do this facing one another you can have your hands inches apart and keep it going. Quite a crowd pleaser.

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
My friend Maria and I do a weave together... one hand each in the weave... We can maintain it for a fairly long time, its just that I want to do a corkscrew with the other hands, and we aren't coordinated enough yet...More practice!

frodusmember
92 posts

Posted:
Me and a dude i met in DC did handoff's the whole time i was at a rave. It was phat. He would do a forward swing, then i would go up, grab them, and be in a reverse swing. It looked badass.Then, we tried wraps around eachother. He would do a forward swing, i would walk up, hands at side, when he nodded, i would stick my hands out, they would wrap around, and then be in reverse, i would quickly pull away, and move backwards. It looked so cool. We even did butterfly wraps around MY leg. One hand butterfly handoffs (HARD), and we tried a one person, 2 butterfly thing, it was so damn hard. Each person would do a butterfly, then one would hand of theirs to the other person, and try and keep it going. It requires a lot of coordination.It takes practice between the two people for a long time so that you don't hurt eachother. It looks so damnn cool tho, because you can keep the show going longer, one person, to another, to another.....etc.

Peace,Travis IM: frodus17

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
My friend Joe has a move that he starts with a handoff. He starts in a one hand butterfly, then moves it behind his head. Then he gets handed a second onehand butterfly. It looks really cool, but i don't really think he does as much with it as he might be able to. It would probably look really crazy if once you had those two butterflys you did something along the lines of a mexican wave with them...

Plazmamember
73 posts

Posted:
yah, it may not be the greatest or hardest trick in the world, but it looks kool if done fast, is have a friend run through the whirl. just make sure u start slow and then start to go faster, and make sure your timings right! also, if you have a tall friend, have the short one do a butterfly weave, while the tall one does an above the head butterfly. hope it helps. Plurr!

My World is a world of one, and in being one they Rave! My World is a Godly World and I am its master!

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
My friend and i tried the back to back weave the other day, its now definitely on my list of moves the crowd loves. Now to work on the backwards weave and turn with the same setup grin grin grin------------------"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted" - Martin Luther King Jr.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I would love to try a circular btb weave with someone, standing face to face. If anyone here is from Brisbane and wants to give it a go - just yell.Hmmmm...... you guys inspire me =) Thanks!

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
You could do poi throws simoultaneously so you trade poi with one another. Also I heard there is some air wraps or hyperloopsthat can be done with two people if you use just one poi a piece. I was thinking you might be able to put your chains together and hold them in one hand to do these air wraps or hyperloops (can't remember which)

JinXmushroom collector
208 posts

Posted:
i cant remember who posted it but i read somewhere,

you stand back to back with your partner but one of you takes a step to a side (lets say right) each of you do a bf (either way) and on a count youu lift your leg (right) so your partners poi do a wrap then pull out and jump back in line and do a weave both going the same way if you get the timing they shouldnt collide

i have never tried it coz th only spinners i meet ane the ones i teach so i need to train one up to that level and go from there.

JinX : If it doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy.
It will however make cats dizzy and cats throw up twice their bodyweight when dizzy.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
are you bored astar???

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
PK I don't know. I only have one state of arousal nowadays which hardly ever changes and Im pretty sure that is boredome, but I am so numb that im not sure.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
occasionally stand up and stretch your legs, pick up nearest set of poi and take them to the park, you thought i was going to tell you to spin didnt you, nope walk over to the pond and throw them in there, jump in after them, then swin around doing doggy paddle.

Taniwhamember
138 posts

Posted:
Back to back is way cool, i love that 1. The problem with duet moves is u need to be a mind reader to know what the other person is doing.
If u are lucky enough to find that person, u could always try inter-weaves, ie weave your poi 4 bt reverse into their reverse 4bt weave, if u can get it, it looks awsome. Instant 8bt weave

Its all just smoke and mirrors

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well as I found out on saterday, you can also do a 3 beat weave interweaveing between each other from the front. Just face each other both doing a 3 beat. Get the same speed. Make sure you're weaving on opposite sides at any one time and move toward each other. We managed to get just over a poi length from each other.... cool. I'd say it looks great with fire though we didn't try it...

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
dss - you can do that move as a lead into the back2back weave.
walk towards each other and when you are about a poi's length away, drop the same shoulder and turn in to the back-to-back weave thing described above.

last thursday we (me and the ever present moohaahaa) worked out that this can be extended to a full 'step-through'.

walk towards each other, weaving on opposite sides.
turn in to back-to-back weave.
now on the *first* side change, step back with one leg 'through' your partner (possible only if they do the same to you) thereby completing a rev to fwd 3bt weave by turning outwards and continuing through.

that last step a bit more specific: if you dropped the right shoulder to go in you will be weaving from your right to left first in the back-to-back weave set up.
as you transfer the poi to the left side you continue turning to face the other direction.
to do that and not end up just turning around into your partner, you need to take a big step directly backwards.
do this with your left foot and step out and away with your right.

there's more two person stuff but we're keeping it well under wraps for now

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
i didn't actually take time to read any of the rest of the posts yet... sue me.

but they didn't seem to link to this video, which i think is neat, and may even be helpful.

https://www.pyrosutra.com/video/bite.htm

the double poi stuff starts around 2:20 and gets freaking intricate around 3:15. umm. the video is amazing in general with fan girls, stilts, capoiera+staff, ... i have yet to check out all the videos they seem to have up since i last went to the site, but i've never seen a better example of what a fire show should be all about.

--dut