Forums > Social Chat > Just how good was the moonfest?

Login/Join to Participate

Igneousmember
7 posts

Posted:
Hi everybody

Now i can imagine that most people have been to a moon festival or something similar, but just how would you rate the latest one? (i wanted to be the first to get on and put in a thread on it). Actually last nights was my first, and i LoveD it! I caught up with an old mate that i havent seen in ages, and i must have had at least 7 people talk to me about it on the trips there and back. The most memorable was when this 6 foot 7 guy walks up from the other end of the carriage and asks in a deep gravelly voice, "Did you just come from the Moon Festival? How was it?"

As i type this i am still covered in the black sooty look all over my arms and so on, and I have the usual singed eyelashes/brows/hair that you would expect after some serious fire twirling.

Anyway the real point of this thread is to find out what people think of the moonfest and how it compares to previous ones. Especially if you have some opinion you can share from being to one.

bye for now

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
We had the Lunar Festival last night as well, and it was definitely an awesome experience. We got to perform as the last act and be the highlight of the show with a nice mix of freestyle poi and staff, choreographed fighting and fire breathing, all while there was an absolutely gorgeous Malaysian Lion running around us to help tell the story we were acting out. It was our first "scripted" event and it turned out better than expected, so expect a video release on the Web pretty soon.

As far as the actual cultural festival went, we got to see a Flute Dance, Tahitian Dance (very sexy) and a fashion show highlighting a whole bunch of different styles from several Asian nations. The dresses were beautiful and the mens' fashion was also quite striking... lots of silk involved. A variety of Asian foods were available, though no moon cakes like we were promised ( ) but we did manage to snag a couple of little souvenir candle lanterns to remind us of the event later on in our lives.

Good pictures, great video, and above all a chance to congregate with a bunch of old friends we hadn't seen in a while from all over the area. Very nice weather too. I'd say that the Fest was a huge success where I'm at, and I definitely had the time of my life there.

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
WOW!!!
dio, that sounds like a fantastic show. a full grown lion?
can't wait to see the vid

I only wanted to be 16... and free

Igneousmember
7 posts

Posted:
Man..Dio that sounds absolutely awesome, ours was nowhere near as organised, for me the experience was more just the number of firesticks, poi, firewhips (is that what theyre called?) and various other toys all lit up in this little stretch of beach with those great drums going in the background, i would have been blown away to go to yours. How many peeps were at your festival?

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:

hey hey
That Moonfest was cool...not the biggest, not the most vibe-iest etc... just a lovely Moonfest.
Bec and Moonpixie (Elke) were theming them to colours of the rainbow etc... for a while, so they usually made little peformances to go with the colour/theme. I think they've been taking a bit of a break while winter was around, and it should pick up again once the weather turns nice.
see ya

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
hmmmmmm... moonfest...

it's hard to compare one with the other.. they are all special and beautiful in their own way..
my highlights this time round..
natural phosphorous in the water while the moon was hiding behind the clouds - Elke and I had a sparkly pixie play and I got a bit wet - oops .:*:.
dancing to the drums with a lovley old friend who I haven't danced with for years .:*
meeting new moon fest friends...*
lots of hugs...*
& a wee little bit of fire play (can't not at least have a couple of burns)

really moonfest is all about your own personal experience of it.. over the 6 or 7 years or whatever that Elke (aka moon pixie) has been running them I have had favourites (definitely the elemental themed ones a few years ago with big planned performances were some of my most yummy ones)...
there have been much bigger ones (in terms of number of people), smaller ones (the first couple were literally a handful of people hanging out together under the moon... there have been really busy ones (chai stalls, performances etc) and really chilled out relaxed ones (warm wintery ones with lots of snuggling up)... but I think it so depends on how you feel, what you do and who you meet there...
I guess if you're wondering how they are different in terms of what "usually" happens... Elke often sets out a ring of candles as a performance space/dance circle.. but it was very rainy early on so decided not to this time.. and the drummers tended not to bring much gear this time also cause of the rain.. we do often put together a bit of a moonfest performance that everyone can play and get involved in... often based around a moonfest theme... if enough people know about the theme often people play & dress up too...

oops - look at the time - I have to fly.. but I will come back and babble lots more later .:*:.

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Moonfest . It's always so much fun

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

729 posts

Posted:
quote:
dio, that sounds like a fantastic show. a full grown lion?
Well I wouldn't say full grown... but large enough to accomodate two full-grown men in his belly

Oh, and Igneous - we had about a hundred people, mostly college students, at our festival. It was an on-campus collaborative project between the Asian-American students, Vietnamese-American, Malaysian and Indian groups (though the Japanese group was a notable abstention), and it was an incredible mixture of people from every ethnicity and cultural group in attendance that really got my energy level high.

The video's being worked on as we speak, I'll post it in this thread and the video section as soon as I get the kinks out. One debate I'm having is whether to include the original drum music from the festival or dub it over... does anyone have an opinion on this?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
mmm moonfest sounds delishy-lish. and with knoxious present too! it's not hard to imagine how sweet it would have been!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ViciousVixenmember
103 posts

Posted:
LOL Before anyone gets disappointed when there's no real lion on the video, the lion was one of those costumes that two people carry around and dance beneath. Kinda like this...

https://www.arts.mcgill.ca/programs/eas/cear/4fd6f3jc.jpg

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
you cheaters! i was imagining a siegfreid and roy type show!

those chinese dragons are ace, have you seen jackie chan inside one, he rocks it.

[ 13. October 2003, 10:43: Message edited by: Captain Hazzard ]

I only wanted to be 16... and free

firedancingfairyenthusiast
201 posts

Posted:
I LOVE MOONFEST!

It's an absolutely magical experience...

Igneousmember
7 posts

Posted:
Moonfest was awesome yes especially with knoxius there, he taught me everything i know so it was pretty cool seeing him after many months and showing him how ive improved. You really had me going with that lion thing, like captain hazzard said, Sigfreid and Roy...I spose everyones heard about that accident that one of them had with the lion, im so glad they decided no to kill the poor creature, its not its fault. If i had to choose Dio, i would choose to put the original sound and drums, but even better if you could use the highlights of the music from the night, and dub it with that.

729 posts

Posted:
OK everyone, we made a video of the moonfest performance!

It's got the original music from the festival, which was awesome to perform to and very authentic, but in order to get that there are a couple spots where you hear audience talking or the narrator reading aloud or other such things. One tiny section of it has some shakey camera work, too, but keep in mind this was filmed spur-of-the-moment so we didn't have time to set up angles, shots, etc. Essentially, this is more a "home video" of our performance than an actual presentation of the variety we're known for, but keep that in mind and we hope you'll enjoy the show as much as we did

The video's name is "Golden Dragon," the one-act play our story was based off of. It's in WMV format and clocks in at around 10 MB.

https://www.flamingsphere.homestead.com/divxencoded.html

.:* Moon Pixie *:.Carpal \'Tunnel
3,492 posts

Posted:
Hehehe... how did I miss this lovely thread!!!

Was a lovely moonfest... ...alot quieter than the usual crowd, 'cause of the rainy weather ealier in the night, but it fined up and panned out to be a gorgeous stary sky*:. the phosphorous in the water was fun... I love when it leaves little pixie prints in the sand... hehe*:.

A had to leave relitively early 'cause I had to get up again at 5:30am

But was a beautiful night

Was great to have you and D back at a moonfest again, Dave (knoxious )

Thinking of doing a Midsummer Night's Dream themed Moon Fest for... the December one and doing a little moonfest interpritation of the play ....Puk and I have been chatting about this in the Events section... please come play

*:...one day all the fairy fridges will be aligned and my pixie world will be complete...:*