Forums > Social Chat > Anybody Know about Fred Phelps?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Well in my humble opinion you should. read on:

Phelps To Erect Matthew Shepard Monument
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: October 3, 2003 5:57 p.m. ET

(Casper, Wyoming) Anti-gay preacher Fred Phelps has announced intentions to erect a monument to Matthew Shepard the gay college student brutally murdered five years ago near Laramie.

But, the monument will be no memorial. Phelps says the monument would be 5 to 6 feet tall and made of marble or granite. It would bear a bronze plaque bearing the image of Shepard and have an inscription reading "MATTHEW SHEPARD, Entered Hell October 12, 1998, in Defiance of God's Warning: 'Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind; it is abomination.' Leviticus 18:22."

The monument would be erected in downtown Casper, Shepard's home town.

Phelps has sent details of the monument to the city of Casper city council and there may be nothing the city can do to prevent it.

Phelps said he intends to put up the monument in City Park, already the location of a controversial statue of the Ten Commandments.

The Ten Commandments statue was donated to the city by the Fraternal Order of the Eagles in 1965.

After a court battle over a similar monument in the city of Ogden, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that any city that displays a Ten Commandments monument on public property must also allow monuments espousing the views of other religions or political groups on that same property.

Phelps told Casper council in his letter that if it attempts to prevent him from erecting the homophobic monument he's prepared to go to court.

"That is exactly what I said would happen," said Councilwoman Barb Watters. She said she warned the city when it accepted the Ten Commandments statue that the city risked other monuments advocating anti-Semitism and hatred of other minorities.

''I think the hate language will find a very cold reception in this community,'' councilor Paul Bertoglio said. ''I think this community's backbone is going to come up and say 'We are not going to accept it.'''

The city council is looking at several options, one is fighting Phelps in court, another is moving the Ten Commandments out of the park, and yet another proposal would be to sell the land the park is on.

Phelps says he doesn't care what the city decides. If he is unable to put the statue in City Park he said he will find another location in the city.

During Shepard's funeral members of Phelps' Westoboro Baptist Church demonstrated in front of the chapel.

-end of article-

In response a friend of mine made up his own idea for a memorial to Phelps-

Fred Phelps, entered hell *DATE*, in defiance of Jesus' Teaching: 'Do not judge, or you too will be judged.' Matthew 7:1

Every once and a while I wonder why I don't openly tell people about my sexuality, than I things like this come along and remind me the sad truth about our society.

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
im so glad i live in a country without as many religious lunatics as yours (im not gay, i just dont like fundamentalists)

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Sometimes I wish I could just leave. I mean we have the president signing a proclamation to support "Marriage Protection Week" and declaring that "Marriage is a union between a man and a woman, and my Administration is working to support the institution of marriage by helping couples build successful marriages and be good parents,". What can you do against that?? Yeah, we have alot of nuts in this country, every country does, but to make matters worse our president panders to their ever want and desire.

Sometimes I just want to run off to Western Europe or Canada, but than I think, this is my country, I live here, why should I move? I can only hope I outlive these people and their beliefs, that someday things will be better.

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
i just wanna cry now...or throw up....maybe both...
i should head over to the things that annoy me thread.....PEOPLE WHO JUDGE PEOPLE

for those of you interested, www.workingforchange.com is a great site for activism. they keep you aprised of a lot of the political crap going on, i.e. the federal marriage ammendment. you can even sign up for their email newsletter and they'll send you the calls for action as they come up.

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Captain HazzardBRONZE Member
Ninja (shhhh, don't tell)
420 posts

Posted:
its insane to think that there are people like that out there. what makes em so narrow minded and hateful? also, its not very christian is it? turn the other cheek and all that?

I only wanted to be 16... and free

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Blimey... Are you saying that many Christians are judgemental and conservative?

Who would have ever thought it.

Magnus... pay it forward

ieuanBRONZE Member
holy man
110 posts

Posted:
Well, being a christian myself, I have to apologize for the hateful, condeming attitudes of other christians. As small and insigificant as that might seem, I mean it with all sincerity. The church has been filled with hate and lies because people have instituted their own ideas, and twisted the truth. The church has condemnded its own and if you hate youself you end up hating other people. If everyone would treat each other with love and respect, the world would be a better place. Unfortunatly, hate creates hate and so the vicious circle goes. Anyway, ieuan the preacher will step down now
Love and Shalom to all.

Gather your harps from the willow trees, dust off the ancient strings. Call the bards and prophets, let them sing healing and freedom. Let light and love flow from the strings, colors of revelation.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
In my opinion ieuan, you have no need to apologize for their actions, because I don't view them as christians. Actions speak louder than words and hate is not a christian value.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Jello:
In my opinion ieuan, you have no need to apologize for their actions, because I don't view them as christians. Actions speak louder than words and hate is not a christian value.
i'm not even a christian and AMEN TO THAT!!!!

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

mrFlibbleSILVER Member
Ghostbuster
455 posts

Posted:
i'm a humanist i think.

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
i think that guy is taking a wrong approach to things, although i may not agree with that kind of lifestyle i would never condem or judge someone like that that's so horrible to do that whole idea about the statue and the attitude that guy has that's just wrong that's all i can say.

RixatrixBRONZE Member
paranoid of gov't conspiracies
217 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by ieuan:
Well, being a christian myself, I have to apologize for the hateful, condeming attitudes of other christians. As small and insigificant as that might seem, I mean it with all sincerity. The church has been filled with hate and lies because people have instituted their own ideas, and twisted the truth. The church has condemnded its own and if you hate youself you end up hating other people. If everyone would treat each other with love and respect, the world would be a better place. Unfortunatly, hate creates hate and so the vicious circle goes. Anyway, ieuan the preacher will step down now
Love and Shalom to all.

i'm a christian too but i dont believe that the ppl that judge or condem others b/c of anything are true christians, Jesus himself befriended homosexuals he didn't condem then or judge them and i dont think he would want that statue built. He says to love your neighbors not love some and hate some but to love everyone despite their differences. ok i'll stop now...bye for now!~

telicI don't want a title.
940 posts

Posted:
I'm personally sickened by the fact that Bush's "Marriage Protection Week" begins on the anniversary of Matthew Shepard's death. It's a cruel joke.

E pluribus unum, baby.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
For once I think I am in support of vandalism of public monuments...

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
I really don't know what to say to this. I am sick of all the anti-gay sentiments in the world. It's enough to make someone want to stop living, especially when you know people who are gay. I am a very open person, open minded, although not overly religious. Despite this, I cannot begin to fathom what ****IN STICK, is up these peoples asses (refering to those with anti-gay ideals, not you nice HOP people) And pardon my french. But I am sickened by Bush, and his, "lets keep marriage sacred" thing. That, and the pope, saying that it is immoral and such for two men or women to get married. I say who are they to decide what the definition of marriage is? If a friend of mine wanted to get married to someone else, and they were both guys, I wouldn't have a problem with it, and neither should anyone else. There is nothing immoral or wrong, about two people loving each other and wanting to be with each other. Its the fanatical morons of the world, who take religion to the extreme, who denouce this as evil, which portray this as evil. It is fine. As the lead singer of Placebo said, heterosexuality isn't normal it's just common. I tend to believe him. There are prolly alot of gay people out there, infact I know there are, and with the sentiments out there they are just afraid to come out. Haha, wouldn't it be ironic if the majority of the world were actually gay? Wouldn't bother me any, but it would certainly bother those assholes out there, who don't know the meaning of the word tolerance.
And shame on you Mr. Bush, and Mr. Pope, and whoever the guy is who is creating that statue. Oh and if that statue is put up, I will personally see to it that it is vandalized, and if possible, destroyed. And, haha, Im not jokin. Thats how pissed off these people make me. Thank you for reading my rantings. Now anyone want to argue me, or support me? Go ahead and post, you have my guarantee Ill check it often.

Noir_DDELUX

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i'm down with the vandalism. always wanted to check out casper...it's not that far of a drive from here.....anyone up for a road trip??

**giggles**

940 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by pounce:
i'm down with the vandalism. always wanted to check out casper...it's not that far of a drive from here.....anyone up for a road trip??
Honey, if you're offering crash space, I might be willing to make a weekend a trip of it.

E pluribus unum, baby.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by regyt:
quote:
Originally posted by pounce:
Honey, if you're offering crash space, I might be willing to make a weekend a trip of it.

LOL!!! absolutely!!! i'll let everyone on HOP crash on my couch, floor, spare bed, anything if it means we get to tear down that statue!!!!

**giggles**

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
There we go, thats the right attitude! Total destruction is the way to go! ( I call dibs on his couch by the way.) LOL

Noir_DDELUX

...phobos...member
56 posts

Posted:
fortunately i have been lucky enough not to be born into a specific religion, so i can follow my own path..
I am absolutely disgusted with that statue!! >: (
I am all for gay rights (not being gay myself) and I cant seem to see why people are so stuck in their ways.
Love is love, no matter who it is with.
thats my 2 cents.
ta!
P.S: Id go on the road trip, but Im not currently in London! (wish i was though!)

man, it makes you wanna shoot them in the face and beat them with baseball bats, doesnt it?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Jello, I agree with you. I want to leave. In fact, I honestly plan on it. I simply don't feel safe here. Not just as a gay man, not just as a Jew, but as a freedom-loving man.

Magnus, it is incorrect to say, based on this, that many Christians are judgemental and conservative. These people call themselves Christians, but they are just as Christians as "Messianic Jews" are Jewish. In violating the fundamental tenets of their religion, they forefeit that very religion.

The only thing in which I can find comfort is that these people are losing and the forces of love are winning.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Noir_deluxe:
There we go, thats the right attitude! Total destruction is the way to go! ( I call dibs on his couch by the way.) LOL
actually he would be a she but it's all good

**giggles**

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Some coincidences:

The "Marriage Protection Week" is to be held October 12-18.

The aniversery of Matthew Shepard's death is October 12th.

National Coming Out week is October 13-17.

And guess what folks, Bush will most likely be re-elected. Great isn't it? I really wish somebody would challenge him on all this, but nobody will.

ahhhh!!!! check this out:

Even more enraging

[ 08. October 2003, 17:20: Message edited by: Jello ]

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
These guys are so selective when it comes to which bits of Leviticus they adhere to. In the same chapter it also bans the wearing of clothes woven from two different sorts of material; polycotton is, apparently, offensive to God.

Surely the standard in which a person leads their life is of far more relvence than what they choose to do with their genitals. The temptation to erect a statue of Phelps with the legend "Those that protests the loudest are the ones that secretly fancy blokes." is just too overwhelming.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Fred Phelps - Entered Hell
"Putting the Fun into Fundamentalist"

statue - Fred, en reposte, with a bible up his arse...

such a shame he didn't read the whole book...

it saddens me there are still people like this out there...

PsyB.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
In case you guys haven't made it this far, there's a link in the link I posted up above nad it introduces us to another man we can make a momnument out of. Say hello to Ed Gillespie, chair of the RNC (Republican National Convention, correct me if I'm wrong):

This guy just befuddles me:

"I think when people say, 'Well, no, that's not enough that you accept me for who I am, you have to agree with — and condone — my choice,' that to me is religious bigotry, and I believe that's intolerant. I think they are the ones who are crossing a line here."

and he accused gays of " intolerance and bigotry by attempting to force the rest of the population to accept alien moral standards." As a result, he said "tolerance is no longer defined as my accepting people for who they are."

????????

Gillespie said the plank (official Republican Platform for 2004) likely would define marriage as " a monogamous, heterosexual union, and would forbid states from legalizing homosexual marriages." But, he suggested it also might be broadened to include civil unions such as those in Vermont and California. "Frankly I don't see the difference between the two," he said.

again, ?????????

This man makes no sense and is an idiot. Good thing he's in a position of considerable power in our leading party.

caniffisSILVER Member
60 posts

Posted:
do not commit the aragance that this so called Priest is commiting!
vandalising this attrocity only gives rise to the action that put it there. the man is doing it simply to get this reaction. he is hopping to go to court because then every news paper and tv crew will plaster him and his views into every home in the US and probably behond!
if you really want to do something change the dedication to something that is correct! take of the stuppid sign and replace it with this one

This statue was errected on "DATE" to bring division to our world. but signifies the struggle by "Matthew Shepard" to unify the world and bring understanding and light to the darkness of mans soul by being willing to stand tall and be free.

something like this would be far more appropriate and far more simbolic to turn barkness to light and show the truth behind what happened not try to erras it!

What you don't know won't hurt you? well i intend to get to know as much as possible so that i can make sure no one else has to so they carn't get hurt.

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
goddam that.

it makes me wanna gouge my eyes out when i hear of shit like this.
Its like the arab in my school who wont talk to me cuz im jewish.
Am i israeli? no
Do i support israel's policies?
No
is it a fascist state?
YES
will he listen to me if i try to tell him my views?
NO
is he by being a dick to me prolonging the trouble sin the middle east?
YES (in a round a bout way)

or the twats in this school who think im gay cuz my phone is glittery pink.
To sink to their level ive probably KISSED omre women then they will in a lifetime (yes im a male slut, but no heart breaker )

I hate that.

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

Noir_deluxemember
58 posts

Posted:
Oh sorry haha, I call dibs on HER couch. Haha. But seriously, I think that someone should go against Bush. All it takes is one man who is strong enough to go against him. There are probably alot of these people, just waiting for their time. Unfortunately, it only takes one man/woman who doesn't know the meaning of the words tolerance, and their gun, to end it. And sadly in America, there are probably many people who would go up in arms if anyone wanted to change their "precious ways of old." Listen up BUSH! CHANGE IS THE DOOR TO THE FUTURE. LIVING IN THE PAST ONLY STALLS OUR HUMAN DEVELOPMENT. I say then, down with Bush, by any way possible. I will not say Im gonna kill him, cuz ya know, those CIA guys are just lookin for an excuse. Well, so much for free speech. But further more the fact that all those dates lie in the same week is no coincidence. Bush, you aughta be ashamed of yourself.

Noir_DDELUX

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Personally I don't agree with the vandelism deal, I mean thats just what Phelps would like.

940 posts

Posted:
We know vandalism isn't the answer. But it sure is fun to fantasize about!

E pluribus unum, baby.

Page: