Forums > Help! > Advice for fitness class

Login/Join to Participate

Inky Lilstranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi,

I'm looking into setting up a fitness/exercise class using/teaching poi but I have no idea where to start.

Ideally I'd like to put some sort of course together with maybe a taster session (to include making a pair of sock poi) just to try and bring a little fun to this dreary little town, lol.

Any advice at all would be brilliant,

Thanks
xx

ABOBer92SILVER Member
ABOB - Pois'n'us
178 posts

Posted:
im not much of a teacher (tho i once taught a 7yr old how to juggle 3 balls without saying anything haha) but id say start off looking at exercises that are similar to poi moves (dance fitness videos probably being the easiest to take things from)

for the 1st and maybe 2nd class i would focus on the poi more than the fitness -allowing you to teach them how to make poi themselves, show an example of what you know how to do and allow them to get comfortable with the poi (which should reduce people hitting themselves haha)

taster should be easy enough to plan out after that

I dont want to be called 'the greatest' or 'one of the greats'; let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown, to me thats the height of my profession. It means you can do everything-sing, dance, and above all, make people laugh

synndarellaDIAMOND Member
61 posts

Posted:
I spin quite a lot and I'm still massively unfit, except for my toned arms lol smile

All girls want a toned bum don't they? smile You could use them for getting people to time their squats so they are nice and slow.. two spins down and two spins up.. or even wrapping them around the wrist and unwrapping them. It would make it more fun, I hate squats but they really do produce results.

They would be pretty good for cardio if you could show people how to easily turn or even just reels. You could reel over to the right in those dancey steps.. stall them midair as you do.. then reel them back the other way. Reels are easy, they are same direction circles spun in front of you (or behind)

Or using them as if they were a skipping rope even, jumping 180 to spin backwards and forward to switch it up. If I worked out more like I keep threatening to do I would be able to think of more things they'd go nicely along with. smile (oh the guilt lol)
EDITED_BY: synndarella (1370509725)

Sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind. The race is long and in the end, its only with yourself~

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Oh dear I recall seeing a rather funny (and slightly painful to watch) video on youtube where there was a guy plugging a poi fitness class smirk

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."