NanoyMasterstranger
4 posts

Posted:
so I've been doing poi about 1 month 2 weeks ish...

and made a compilation video of me learning.

would love to know what you think.

tips ideas, any thing I'm doing wrong or should learn to do etc...

nupoCarpal \'Tunnel
9,576 posts

Posted:
Compilation ? You are joking..

Wrong body stance, wrong hand position, wrong timing.

Absolutely no sense of style or at least precission,
complete madness, simply nothing.

Did you ever hear about routine ?

Go back to practise.

arrrgh...

NanoyMasterstranger
4 posts

Posted:
well cool, cheers for the honesty, I am still practicing.. hopefully will be for a long time to come, yea I record myself so I can play it back and see where to improve or laugh at myself.

I guess this is what this community is like... well c'ya, glad I didn't buy censored from here

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Forgive nupo lol, there are a bunch of peeps who get annoyed by all the new peeps who post "X number of months poi" videos all over youtube. That and you could probably do with better lighting, a better camera, and actually working on transitions between moves rather than cutting between takes of yourself doing 5 different things for 5 minutes. Also I dislike your music, but that's just me.

I would strongly suggest that you save the practice recordings for your own viewing, and actually compile a video, with good lighting - so that we can see your body + hand movement, and a little routine with transitions between the moves that you want to show.

Aside from that, I would suggest learning more wall-plane moves because I love wallplane, your fountain is alright I guess, but you need to work on getting into butterfly smoothly and cleanly, not the way you're doing it right now where you're spinning opposites with your hands far apart. Flowers and hip/shoulder reels might also be a nice thing to start learning in a little bit, but at this point you probably want to work more on transitioning between the stuff that you can do and doing things on both sides and both directions.

I don't like your music. Did I mention that? tongue2

EDIT: I'd like to point out that the Home of Poi shop is not the same thing as the forum, and that the peeps who post here often aren't the peeps who run HoP. Those guys do a really great job of making and sourcing awesome gear and material at prices that you can't really get from most other places yo.
EDITED_BY: beaniebob (1353289022)

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."

NanoyMasterstranger
4 posts

Posted:
thank you beaniebob... yea a nice new cam would be great, unfortunatly recording on my webcam in my laptop which is like 1.f-all megapixels... sorry about that... also in debian it seems to only record at 6.5 frames a sec, so all the videos are a little quicker... I think vista has longer exposure making it fake 30fps...

I think I have taken a vid of what you meant, everything in one sort of o.O?
it's only like 40secs long... but puts all into one, and is that what you meant with the butterfly?

for some reason this video is sped up LOADS...
yea I havent got both sides/directions down yet... deffo something I will be working on.
and yea I know I'm sh*t thats why I'm here asking for advise

thanks for the suggestions on what to learn and try, as you know I'm new-as to this all help would be great.

sorry for flaming up the shop.. I know nothing to do with the random aholes that post in their forums.. I'm sure there stuff is great, I was upset.

EDITED_BY: NanoyMaster (1353341906)

beaniebobGOLD Member
casually noob tech poi spinrar
155 posts

Posted:
Okay I don't have time to write up a proper reply or see your other video, but If you haven't already done so, playpoi.com has some nice videos on terms of learning stuff and learning to flow well between things.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error."