Forums > Help! > help choosing fire poi

Login/Join to Participate

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
okay i noticed there was another topic with the same name but i figured since all spinners are different, this deserved its own post.

Okay so i have decided its finally time to spin fire and im think i have enough practice now that i wont hurt myself(hopefully), and i have been looking for my first fire poi, and I need some help from u guys since i dont know anyone IRL really that knows about it. So i know what kind of finger loops i want and chain length, but idk about the head. I think I wanna get the isis heads because they have a decent sized flame but idk about other factors the poi head contributes to performance so....

I dont really care about burn time as long as its around 5 minutes and i can have time to spin to at least one song.

I DO mind about how much control the head has during stalls, i dont know if the head matters much with this, i think it mostly depends on the spinner and if your talented the poi do not matter. but i just wanted to add this in because i like doing stalls and stuff and im not talented to where i can do anything with any pair of poi.

and also what kind of chain is good for orbitals and such stuff?

Hope to spin fire very very soon grin thanks for any feedback

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
There's a recent thread in Advanced Poi about orbitals that talks about gear. My personal preference for burn time and flame size is the monkey fist, though I've not used anything else besides cathedrals, which aren't bad. For stalls the only thing I've noticed is that a long head can move oddly, but it needs to be like flowpoi-duo-long before it's really an issue.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
ok thanks

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
For the head weight is probably the most important factor in making your choice, the second is flame size and duration, and third is the amount of drag and resistance from flame desired. You can make a pretty good guess where to start when looking at these 3 factors.

As an example: I didn't spin well until I got monkey fists because too little weight feels out of control and out of my comfort zone (Muras and Cathedrals have their respective new homes tongue2 ) and wish I had started with them, but misconceptions about where to start is why I didn't think to start there. Now I'm giving moonblaze a try to lighten up on the load a little to have more runs in a night and unlit they are still weighty enough for comfort and control, with the amount of experience with fire I have now I think this is my first educated guess that has been spot on about what is truly comfortable for fire.

It's entirely up to the individual what is comfortable, but the 3 determining factors have been leading my decisions after the few errors I made early on that are benefiting 2 happy people currently. wink

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
thanks i will definitely take that into consideration

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Monkey fists kick-ass.

There we go thats my 2 cents. There are other considerations but not many... cathedral wicks can produce a flare off / burn off like a staff if they have decent swivel links in and you clip the gound with them (horizontal plane) and they have decent burn times. Monkey fists have a looooooooong burn time and the basic wicks are a bit rubbish! Never had a play with Isis wicks but I don't see them having any advantage over a monkey-fist!

Hope that helps a little... happy spinning!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Yeah, my first burn on my monkey fists was almost 10 minutes, and even now towards the end of their lifespan they still burn too long for a lot of people. I love it.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

HOP Newsletter