Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
First off-I did search this topic and didn't find anything. If there is already one similar, forgive me.
Ok... So the weather is finally warming up where I live and I'm wanting to start spinning fire. I live in the midwest US. My main question is who would I need to talk to to make sure I can even do it in my town, if so where, and similar questions. Also, how would I even go about asking them? Should I bring my equipment? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok, first, you can always do it on private property from what I know. And if it's someone else's, than you better have their permission obviously.

If you want to do it in public, I still need to do this now that it's warm, ask your local Fire Department or Police Station (I forget which one), but my guess is on the Fire department.

You probably should bring your equipment and if they don't know what it is, then sometimes people will show them and once they see you're responsible and won't catch the world on fire, they should be fine with it.

This is what has all been told to me, there are similar threads, but no big deal.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Thanks. That's what I kinda thought but wasn't sure.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I like to do renegade burns. Go to a park or a parking lot and light up then after yer done move along to another spot. If you can find a big concrete slab it will look better for you if yer caught. For the most part if a cop drives by and sees you he will stop and check it out. Cops have only told me to move along but you very well may get a citation.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. It sounds a lot simpler than trying to talk to the fire department about it.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Chances are if it's a "first offense" you'll be given a warning and at that time you can ask what you would need to do in order to legally be able to spin fire in your locality/municipality.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
most of the time you'll be fine so long as you are far enough away from people&buildings, the concrete slab thing helps. most of the time they'll just stop for a look and move on. If they do decide to say something and stop you just be polite&pack up, chances are the next time you try it'll be a different cop who won't mind so no point causing a fuss:)

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
I presume it depends on the country and most of you are in the US:

we regularly have a fire meet on a local beach (Newcastle Aus), have never asked anyone for permission (that might make them nervous) and have had no problems.

Then, we're about 15m from the ocean, 15mm from a concrete walkway /cliff and 200m from anything burnable.

Failing a beach a large expanse of concrete sounds like your safest bet, but a fair bit would depend on local regulations / sensitivity.

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
With summer coming, you can always find a lake/pond and wade into it (giving yourself plenty of space to not extinguish) and spin fire in water tongue2

I'm going on a trip to Yellowstone this summer and my cousin (who works there in the summers) suggested I do that.

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Unless it's very shallow and with a firm base you'd have to more or less stand still, but it should make for some very interesting visuals with the reflections. smile

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
The spinning in water thing sounds pretty sweet. I live right by the river so that would be convenient. Thanks for the input guys!

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
really just have a comfortable set up.

i did my first burn in my back yard with a water hose close by.

now after doing a decent amount of burns later i just light up anywhere.

It's nothing really that big as long as you know your boundaries. keep it simple.

And also warm up. And you'll be surprised how much heavier it is while has the fuel in it and with the drag of the fire.

WARNING!!! Do NOT spin at the beach with the wind blowing at 20 mph. I did that 2 days ago and my shoulder is STILL killing me. You can't prepare for the wind making your spin REALLY heavy and REALLY resistant.

2,280 posts

Posted:
I did mine with a fire extinguisher within my dad's reach in my backyard.

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
I've been adding weight to my poi gradually so I don't think that will be too much of a problem. The wind tip is a good one to know though.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Depends where you live. In Aus because we have a lot of farming land and have a lot of bushfire's it's not as easy as "it's private property I can do whatever". If there is a city wide fire ban. that includes all outside BBQs etc. So check with the local firies. smile

VillageIdiotSILVER Member
Pretty cool guy
23 posts

Posted:
If you do it at a beach at night, you will have no problems.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

WyattDavisSpinsGOLD Member
WYATTSPINSPOI
69 posts

Posted:
You might want to check out the NAFAA.org they have alot of good information and they may be able to help you find the fire codes in your region.

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Going to talk to someone that's on the local fire department tonight probably. Hoping to light up for the first time this friday. ^_^

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
After a week of beautiful weather it decides to rain on the day I plan to go out. Typical lol.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yup, that's Murphy's Law at work

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Yep... hate it lol. Oh well there is always next time

VillageIdiotSILVER Member
Pretty cool guy
23 posts

Posted:
Two days ago we went to Bondi Beach for the usual weekly spin, and me and my buddy stood in the water. Fun stuff. =)

Non-Https Image Link

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
its funny the cops where i live just stop and watch they dont care where you do it

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
I have a feeling the ones here will either do that or be all over my ass because there is nothing else to do in this town.

2,280 posts

Posted:
^^^I second that for me

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Haha. They have stopped along the street and started talking to me for no reason because they were bored I think. I found it quite amusing.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Talking about what? Like, what are you doing crazy person, stop now. Or that's cool, what is it. Or hey how's you life been little Billy, would you like some candy?

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
Why yes, old man, I'd love some of your candy... *Kidnapped*

"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Haha just asked what it was and how I got into it and such. Every now and then some will still slow down when I'm out practicing.
And aren't the cops supposed to help people who have been kidnapped? lol