Dr.BabsSILVER Member
20% more: DIET ASBESTOS©
34 posts

Posted:
So I recently constructed these poi out of very common resources. I'm still working on my design a bit.

Here's some photos to help explain!

Non-Https Image Link

The poi head is clear plastic tubing from the hardware store, the rope is just basic nylon cordage for camping and what not.

Non-Https Image Link

Golf ball handle attached to a ball-bearing fishing swivel.

Non-Https Image Link

The lights are photons/pulsars one is white, the other blue. The white material is from some costume tights. They help to diffuse the light of the LED's.

Non-Https Image Link

VICTORY HAPPY TIME FACE! woot.

I'll have some pics of them in action up here pretty soon.

I'm really happy with the rig so far. The tubing is heavy enough for nice stalls, ball handles make them quite throwable, and the swivels allow me to pull orbitals for dayssss.

Any critiques/additional input would be much appreciated!

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
interesting what are the golf balls like as handles and how did you attach the swivels to them

I love thinking in circles

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
An interesting design. Not quite my thing for spinning but to each his own. My question is though do you just put LEDs in the tubes or anything else, From the looks of it fitting a couple glow sticks into there wouldn't be to hard and would be goo weight tongue2

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Dr.BabsSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
@ Joff- The golf balls are fantastic as handles, i have them as handles on my juggling poi too. I drilled a hole in the golf ball and just used the same cord to tie them to the swivels.

and Smurf, I usually just put Led's into the tubes, it keeps it light enough for me to do glowsticking style moves. Glowsticks sort of fit in there but i'd have to stretch out the tubes a bit so they'll fit.

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Hm, a wee bit late I know, but I would like to see some photography or phootage of this in use.

This statement is false...?

Dr.BabsSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
Certainly, I'm still waiting for my friend to upload the photos because i am lacking in the hand held camera department.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Honestly I think the shape of the head would drive me nuts, but I can imagine a couple of ways to just have a single tube (without looping it) that would work pretty well (assuming a good way to weight the end could be found). I don't know why I haven't thought to try a golf ball for a grip...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Dr.BabsSILVER Member
34 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenHonestly I think the shape of the head would drive me nuts, but I can imagine a couple of ways to just have a single tube (without looping it) that would work pretty well (assuming a good way to weight the end could be found). I don't know why I haven't thought to try a golf ball for a grip...

I thought the heads would be really troublesome and tangly too, but they don't cause any issues really.

Sorry I haven't posted any action pictures of them yet. I'm still waiting for my friend to upload them.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
cant wait to see the vid of those in use cuz it is a very interesting shape

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus