Forums > Technical Discussion > New fire breathing safety tool (concept and theory)

Login/Join to Participate

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
I just recently came up with an idea for a piece of safety equipment for Fire Breathing. I know Fire Breathing is incredibly dangerous READ THIS! , and all of this information is completely theoretical. Please DO NOT attempt to make one of these and test it out. I could never stand with someone's death or injury on my shoulders.

With that said, the basic concept of my idea revolves around the Davy lamp. A man named Sir Humphrey Davey invented a lamp in which the flame was encased by a metal screen. This greatly reduced the chances for an explosion if a gas leak were to occur in a coal mine. This is because the flame can not penetrate the metal screen. For more information just Google "Davey Lamp".

History lesson aside, here is a terribly crude drawing of the basic concept.
Non-Https Image Link

The gray area is the screen and it would be fixed to a torch handle. One would aspirate through the screen into the flame on the other side. This would in no way prevent or even help against ARDS, Chemical Pneumonia, Cancer, or any of the many terrible other things that can happen. it is only meant to provide some protection from blow back. Bare in mind that this is only a crude drawing, and I have not made a prototype. I plan to make the screen bigger and make it dome shaped. I'm not sure whether to make it big enough for the whole face or just the mouth area.
So there you have it. Questions, Comments, Concerns, Ideas, Please Post away! Once Again This is all in Theory. I have not tested this idea at all and I ask that no one would attempt to test it for me.

"It is far better to know you think than it is to think you know." -FAT-

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
if fire cant penetrate it during blowback, how can you aspirate liquid through it?

or am i missing something?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
The fuel should not have a problem penetrating the screen. If anything it may assist in the aspiration process. I am currently working on a prototype device. I plan on using three different gauges of screen, 2000, 1000, and 500 microns. Ill take the results and go on from there.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i cant imagine it would help the aspiration, if you just blow fuel outta yer mouth, its going to go further then blowing it thru a screen first...and then the screen is going to get all drippy and drip down to yer hand...cant imagine it'll work

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PojeThe screen is going to get all drippy and drip down to yer hand...cant imagine it'll work

Prehaps a catching bowl below the screen that feeds into the handle and drains to the floor?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
perhaps, or you can just breath fire properly....or not do it at all smile

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I think it would make a great learning tool, or just for practice for anyone

If you do learn it, it would be an amazing idea to have a type of protection, for anyone who wants to learn it

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikif fire cant penetrate it during blowback, how can you aspirate liquid through it?

or am i missing something?

further to that point, if its a sphere, and you are correct in saying that fuel can easily penetrate the screen, how is the fire supposed to travel out the other side of the sphere?

when i initially looked at your design, i imagined a flat screen between you and the flame, but as i originally said i dont think aspirate would penetrate the screen very effectively.

interesting to see the idea develop, but please dont hurt yourself!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Poje....or not do it at all smile

Dis eez der best advice.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DanKenyonstranger
22 posts

Posted:
i think the 200 micron screen would work and i understand the concept, i would agree that the distance might be reduced but for personal safety i think this would work, and having the dome come around your face is a good idea but might look a little scary

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pojeperhaps, or you can just breath fire properly....or not do it at all smile

clap good thinking 99! grin

on another note...wouldn't the fuel leak out the bottom of this sphere? umm

also...this thread would probably be more suited to technical discussion, rather than social discussion... smile

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

FatGuruSILVER Member
40 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the feedback! Im currently in production of the three prototypes. I plan to film the testing and upload it to HOP. To answer some questions, the device would be a flat or hemispherical screen, I haven't decided which. I'm thinking if you put the screen right to your lips the fuel should pass easily through the 500 micron screen while being very effective at preventing blowback. Of course this is all completely hypothetical at this point. I will post as soon as i finish making the prototypes.