SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I want to get my first set of fire poi. And what I am looking for is the one with the loudest sound. But I'm not getting the mega this and Gigantor that. I'll go up to the medium size wicks. I would also like one that good for spinning slow for that "HOLY $H*T" effect. I got into it because my German exchange student did fire poi and the thing I remember the most was the roar of his poi. I have done fire breathing and it did not turn out to well, and I find this to actually be more entertaining.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI have done fire breathing and it did not turn out to well, .

eek do tell..

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

2,280 posts

Posted:
Actually the fuel backtracked to my face and I was using a torch, not a lighter. I was in front of a few of my friends and about 20 little kids. But away form that, what is the loudest small-medium size wick you know?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
they're all pretty loud, generally, the bigger they are, the louder they are

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Surely it's the size of flame that would affect the sound, so bigger flame = bigger sound? You're not going to find a small-flame-but-loud set.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

steambugGOLD Member
stranger
21 posts

Posted:
ditto what poiboy and hamamelis said, sound is related to flame size.

You could however get louder sound (+ bigger flame) for slightly less weight (if heavyness is what you're trying to avoid not large flame size), in which case you want poi with a large surface area to volume ration, but you do sacrifice burn time.

E.g. Poi snakes in particular, cathedrals, isis heads (i think- tho haven't tried them) all good for this purpose... rolled and tube core wicks not so.

ultimate probably the hop 3D deathstars cool

...Personally while I think the sound is cool and creates your own little roaring world around you, all fire poi i've played with have made enough noise/ sound for my liking. smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
I was actually which design would give me the loudest sound for the weight. I personally have enough balls when it comes to fire to go to intermediate size. But am not experienced and am too cheap for the large ones. I was wondering, like if I was to get a 4'' Mura roll, would it be significantly quieter than a cathedral/monkeyfist or whatever other designs there are. I was also thinking about starting with a smaller size. So that when everyone sees those, they're already like WTF! and then I can later get a bigger size later and then they don't get used to it and then they go, WTF IT GETS BIGGER! o_o So does there 2.5'' make a loud roar? And if possible, is there a video where you know its a 2.5'' wick, because I'm scared that I'd buy it and it would be too quiet for me. Also there is a video of my german exchange student and for all of those who are wondering my "unbiological brother," Lukas, is my inspiration and made me realize that it's not so ridiculous of an idea to get into this. Here it is

if you can tell me what kind he is using that would be amazing, and I might have to sacrifice a rabbit in your name. On the profile there is also one of him using his poi to breath fire.
Edit: If I can before one of you tell me, I will just ask him. I want to go there again, I plan on studying abroad and it would be the greatest thing I could ever imagine to do a show for the other exchange students with him. Pretty much I am an only child and I consider him to be my brother, so that is why i would love to do a burn with him.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1258336558)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, I also want a wick that's good for spinning slowly because I know from experience as a completely amazed viewer that the slow spinning creates such an awe effect. so is 2.5'' good for spinning slow, or should I go with the 4''?

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't the hollow ones be quite loud??

Can't find the picture of what I mean.. but they're three circles of wick at 3D 90 degrees to each other so air goes through them as you spin.. We don't have any but I think they'd be pretty loud...

2,280 posts

Posted:
That sounds pretty cool, but not I'm mainly deciding between 2.5 and 4'' Mura heads. I think I'll get input from my German bro Lukas.

steambugGOLD Member
stranger
21 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroitI was actually which design would give me the loudest sound for the weight.

...Erm I did mention designs in my above post...!? tongue2

Yes, Mura fire poi will be significantly less loud than cathedrals, But between the Mura the 100mm/ 4 inch would be better for your wants than the 2.5 inch. It's a trade off, poi snakes would give loudest sound for weight, but by the sound of it are definitely not what you're after. In my opinion cathedrals are a really nice compromise on a lot of things, including the particular characteristics your after- you can always upsize to bigger cathedrals, or very large monkeyfists for 'increasing wow factor' later on.
I haven't seen the poi that Nat mentions, but they sound like they could be pretty ideal. Ooh and no matter how small your poi heads are, the first time you spin poi and they're wizzing around your head it sounds so crazily loud, so much more than when just watching someone else spin ubbrollsmile

Regarding ease of slow, graceful spinning, heavier poi are usually better/ easier than lighter poi- they give you better control amongst other stuff, so yes the 100mm/4 inch mura would be better than the 65mm/ 2.5 inch... tho personally I'd go for something heavier like cathedrals/ monkeyfist... despite being a girl and fairly small wink

Ooh and i did watch video but can't tell what type of poi he is using from that far away, sorry

Hope you find some poi your happy with, happy spinning smile

2,280 posts

Posted:
ty very much,, right now im thinking between 2.5 and 4 inch because i wanna start small as i said so later i can go bigger and keep getting bigger for a longer time. I'm thinking about not as much as what I hear, i know from experience fire is very very loud when youre up to it. (firebreathing) I'm thinking more about what others hear.

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
your wicks will last you a lot longer than you think. I bought rolled tube core wicks that lasted me a solid year before they started to get worse. I say go for the monkey fist wicks. I recently saw some moonblaze poi do some awesome stuff. It's like a cathedral upgrade. If you want louder and you're set and its just a choice between 2.5 and 4, go for the 4. 2.5 is smaller than you think.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Ok thank you very much. I'm deciding between the Mura rolls because they're cheap. I'll get the 4'' it's a decision!