Forums > Technical Discussion > Can you use alcohol as fuel?

Login/Join to Participate

XiuhtecuhtliSILVER Member
Everlearner
79 posts

Posted:
Let's see...
I've found myself several times at parties where there is a lot of alcohol drinks, and, since I don't drink, I find myself incredibly bored after a while (I mean, when people are so drunk they cannot even talk). Now, a couple times I've had my poi with me. Of course i tried to spin them, but when gas ran out, could I use any of the leftover alcohol as a fuel?
I've tried beer and tequila, but, either it wasn't enough, or it's just not flamable.
I've seen people doing firebreathing with alcohol, barmen lighting drinks, and pure alcohol burning, but I'm just not sure.
My question is: Does anybody know any kind of alcohol drink that might be flamable and useful?

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
anything higher than 100 proof will burn, but the more alcohol in the liquor, the better flame you will have. Do a search (do a Durbs as they say) and you will see just why using alcohol is a terrible idea for firebreathing. It seems you are new to fire and/or drinking... beer isn't flammable mate. Drunk people don't know the difference, get some good glow poi and they will but just as amused and you won't have to pour beer on n your props.

That being said. try everclear or 151 if you must.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Anything below 150 proof really, really sucks at burning. I tried using 140 alcohol to burn, but if it went faster than 1 beat, it died out pretty quickly.

This statement is false...?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
At burning man last year our bar started serving Whiskey and White Gas grin

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Everlearner
79 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JayKitty It seems you are new to fire and/or drinking...
I definitelly dont know anything about drinking and would like to know way more about fire.

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PojeAt burning man last year our bar started serving Whiskey and White Gas grin

The hidden truth behind the name perhaps?

Just a dancer in the dark

Everlearner
79 posts

Posted:
So the burning man actually exists?!
I thought it was only a leyend!
a mith made by the old ones to make us sleep at night...
my life has a new meaning...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
why would you think burning man didnt exist?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Everlearner
79 posts

Posted:
I just didn't know it existed, I had just heard of it, and it just sounded too good to be true

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I've never been, I've heard both good and bad things about burning man. Its a fire mecha, but there's been talk by the elders of it becoming to mainstream commercial. Anyway. Try and stock up on fuel for parties to avoid using alcohol. If you do make it colorful at least!

Another alternative. I just got the crystal flowpoi from flowtoys. Freaking AMAZING.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yeah, those crystal flowpoi burn really well for ages.

Shame they are meant to be LED poi really.

forrestfireSILVER Member
lonely spinner
67 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JayKitty

Another alternative. I just got the crystal flowpoi from flowtoys. Freaking AMAZING.

what color do you have? cuz i have been waiting for water 1 to come into stock and wondering if its worth it. ive seen spinners with water 2 and fire and i guess they used the wrong settings because it was really bland. but the water 1 looks amazing.