salkaarstranger
7 posts

Posted:
hey everyone just joined here.
a few things
first of all: im not just a poin spinner but a general fire dancer. im best with a staff because im stuck with my poi. i cant get any more moves under my belt, its really frustrating i cant even get the backwards weave. i know the forward weave and the one where they cross in front of you and can do the backwards butterfly but only for a few beats before i hit myself, also i cant manage to get the forward butterfly without cracking myslef in the....well you get the idea.

secondly: outfit when im spinning i wear skinny jeans (sometimes) but as long as its denim it doesnt matter because it doesnt burn much. i have ideas for a whole outfit but dont know where to get it made

thirdly: alot like the first one, i cant get my planes behind and infront straight and generally struggly with all of them any tips or tricks?

fourthly: how dangerous is fire breathing? because i would love to do it and know how to and all that but only the bad experiances of it have been published on the internet... besdies i need someone to tell my parents its doesnt always kill people.

and finally: how come the plastic bit on disposeable lighters (which joins the metal to the gas chamber) melt im abit of an inventor but cant find this on the internet anywhere. im designing a new thing which will allow me to do something ive wanted to do for my whole life....

thanks

your just jelous cos the voices only talk to ME!!!

Mr. Wally-ishSILVER Member
There's always room for 11 people in a two man tent
31 posts

Posted:
I would strongly advise to stay away from fire breathing. I wouldn't go near it with a 40 foot pole. The fuel is toxic and you can argue the point that you won't ingest any but you will. Read this if you already haven't

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/tea...-Pele-11_52_211

It can cause all sorts of damage to your body and its not a matter of if you will get severely burnt, but when.

The metal on your lighter probably stores the heat when you light it, which causes the plastic to melt. That's a theory anyway. You could fix this by buying a zippo lighter?

salkaarstranger
7 posts

Posted:
no thats the thing
disposeable lighters dont melt i was wondering y this is

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
They don't melt fast, but they will melt if you keep the flame going. I've melted mine. Remember heat rises, so plastic components underneath a flame won't get hot so fast.

The reason you find so many negative stories about fire breathing on the internet is because it can go wrong so easily and in many ways.
It is very dangerous, I don't think anyone here will tell you (or your parents) that it isn't. Sorry.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
all (plastic) lighters will eventually melt after some time... as with everything involving heat, it is transferred.

As long as the heat absorbed by the plastic (*) is not exceeding a critical level, the plastic won't melt. If the plastic can't transfer the heat to surrounding air or other (plastic) components fast enough, it will finally melt.

(*) another lead in this might be the composition of the plastic (part) in the lighter. some plastic will melt faster, others slower.

However, I'd be careful and not test my luck... a fully charged plastic lighter ain't something I want to have going off in my hand.

Firebreathing (IMHO) is a comparably tacky performance. It does require a lot more skills than you may think. It's a huge effect, but at the same time extremely dangerous... please read Pele's article suggested before going further in this direction

stay safe and welcome to HoP

smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

salkaarstranger
7 posts

Posted:
thanks guys

salkaarstranger
7 posts

Posted:
what about the poi tips? ive looked at the poi moves threads and their great but how can i get my planes straight?

Danny5GOLD Member
I've got too many scars to say i'm good at this!
10 posts

Posted:
Practice next to a wall or in tight spaces. It really helped me.

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: salkaarwhat about the poi tips? ive looked at the poi moves threads and their great but how can i get my planes straight?

straight planes can be cool but they are not necessary. more useful I think is plane control, intentionally putting the plane of your poi at angle you want. I practice that by going through all my ranges of motion with plane bending exercises. i.e. bending from my front to above my head.

salkaarstranger
7 posts

Posted:
thanks.