RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Quote:If there is a limitation in technical perception in spinning, throught dance,
than nobody spin like I do.
WHAT IS A SPINNING?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a) Clear spinning, technicaly difficult to make it clear.

b) Spinning beyond personal level.

c) Routine spinning, tech tech spinning.

In case of c), this I meen to be real technical spinning, I meen
"the complicated way", pure tech spin.

In the case b), this I meen to be the thing about individual acc-
ess to marking level. Like single real "unique combination".

In case of a), this I meen to be fact that when someone spin,
"better than I do", no matter what moves. It makes me push
the spin further.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the beginning, there were no move, but people,
Poi and a great will.

don't stop,

:R

hug

POI THEO(R)IST

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Richee! I ask, I really want to know! Can you write it again, but better? With the good english? I know the cryptic is fun... but I really want the meaning!

Meg

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TheAmazingBazBRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
I'm with Meg on this one. It seems that you are trying to create a sort of Modernist "objective quality" scale with which to judge spinners, but the wording is very unclear as to either why you feel this is necessary or how you plan on crafting such a critiquing methodology.

Unfortunately for the entire concept of "objective quality" is flawed - just look at competitive figure skating, where they are constantly changing the judging systems to keep up with (or in some cases create) the fashion trends within the art form.

Right now, precise planar definition (even within "plane shifting" techniques) is quite fashionable, as are stalls and pendulums that are either 0, 45, or 90 degrees to the ground. Technically difficult tosses are also popular, but not as much as they were around 2 years ago, and wibbles seem to have become significantly less trendy.

My point is that creating an empirical system of desirable spinning traits that will stand the test of time is a pipe dream at best. Desirable traits come and go, being continually reshaped by both the flux of new ideas, and the tension between the excitement of innovation and the aesthetic comfort of the familiar.

I feel that the only enduring criteria for mastery is in terms of a spinner's repertoire of technique - to have their spinning governed by their aesthetic preference and not by the limits of the control they are able to exercise over their toy (poi, staff, etc).

So if I were to summarize, it would be phrased as follows:
To improve as a spinner, one must seek to expand one's collection of techniques, styles, and approaches, without limit, in order to escape the metaphorical "cage of ineptitude", and to be free to spin in a manner dictated by choice rather than by ability.

Thoughts?
- Baz

dalefBRONZE Member
dubbles extraordinaire
36 posts

Posted:
Baz, you pulled something out of that I can't even see...I'm utterly confused as to what he is saying.

Mr Majestikcoming to a country near you
45 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

In the beginning the were no moves, only you and your memories.

Quote:I always thought that if I will learn all the moves I will learn to dance. But when you dance, it's like knocking the same door, but from the other side. Behind the door is the light of wisdom.
The key to knowledge is to never stop trying to be better then yourself.

love you,

:R