Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > lighting my first fire staff

Login/Join to Participate

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
So, I have been spinning staff and practicing contact for about a year using handmade tools. Today my first fire staff came in and I am super excited at the prospects that come with it.

However, ....umm....seeing as Im used to thinking of fire as a poi person, Im not really sure what the best way is to go about soaking the wicks and spinning off. I've done a burn off with someone else's staff, but didn't really catch the preparation phase. I've ideas, but I would prefer to hear some other opinions first.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
HoP's very own fire training video is where I learnt from https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Fire-Training-How-do-I-Fire-training-video-1_2_2

The important thing to note, I guess, is to hold a rag around the staff under the first wick while you soak the second, to stop any fuel running down the staff itself making it slippery and/or flammable smile

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I used to be able to watch HoP's video but recently every time I try to access it, the sound lags 1 chapter behind the video and the whole thing stops before finishing. I dont know if that is a glitch or just my old computer not able to download it properly anymore.

So, holding a rag under one wick while DIPPING the other wick, is that right? I ask because I thought I remembered the video advocating squirting the fuel on. (I prefer the idea of dipping)

Let's assume I have it down on how to soak the wick. How do people remove excess fuel? I know I can do a burn off when lit, but what about methods for removing excess when UNLIT?

thanks in advance, everyone.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
You can use aforementioned rag to squeeze the worst of it off, but that'll get a small amount of fuel on your hands. If you can have a small bucket handy just hold the dipped head inside it and roll the staff between your hands like you would for a burnoff without letting go and spray the fuel off the head that way, obviously do this to the head immediately after you soak it before you do the next one, so you don't spray your face as well as the bucket!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
OR you could swing the fresh dipped end onto the ground, wastes fuel but is quick, I will normally let my wick drip back into the fuel for about 30 seconds adding small shakes.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!