Forums > Videos > Pogo's Vids - New Double Staff Tutorial Vid ... :)

Login/Join to Participate

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
well... I've finally gone and done it... videotaped myself spinning... I dunno why I didn't think about it, earlier... just used my mobile phone, and youtube took care of the rest.

anyway... it's me practising a newly learned antispin thingie... is something that I already knew how to do, but decided tonight to reverse it back and forth like at the beginning (and subsequently) of the vid; wanted to play with it, working into and out of it. think it works pretty well.

ummm... ye... I got confused a couple times there, but managed to work a few lil isolation/antispin things in there.

need to get a few more things on vid, cos it's really helpful to see stuff played back. not sure how to get the flowers in, cos there's not enough room under the patio cover to extend fully upwards.

oh yes... the vid:

EDITED_BY: Pogo69 (1229415804)

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Crouch down for the flowers. Or dig a trench tongue

Nice work my good man. The transisions need tidying up slightly as do the horizontal and vertical positions of the antispin weave.

But already I can see how you're formulating moves with the building blocks you've been given.

And you know that thing you do every so often? What's it called? Oh yes... smiling! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Keep doing that... smile

Happy playing dude... hug hug hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Wow, that was with a cell-phone??

All that double-staff work looks incredibly complicated! But it looks good (to me, anyway!)

I definitely agree with you about playing back the video to watch your form. I'd do it if my digital camera didn't take such choppy video. If you go too fast it just looks like a series of unrelated frames, and it doesn't give you any way to fine-tune the video settings....

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Dave, that's exactly what I told him...I love the little smiles ...spontaneous and unaffected...

He's really doing well with his spinning...I just can't wait to get back so that I can watch the real thing, again...

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
why was this damn thing so frickin' hard to find...? I had to search and search and freaking search...!!

anyway... I've made a new vid... a tutorial vid... my virgin tutorial vid...!! my virgin double staff tutorial vid...!!

hope someone gets something out of it, cos I'd love to give a lil something back to the community that gave me what I've learned up to this point.
hug

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pogo69why was this damn thing so frickin' hard to find...? I had to search and search and freaking search...!!

Its obviously because you aren't posting enough videos.

Major point here is that its probably too long... 10 mins is a HUUUUGE amount of time watching... I found myself skipping through it... you probably didnt need all the transitions in there, unless you were going to specifically teach them.

And trust me... I know how hard it can be to actually get a tutorial out there that is nice and succinct... especially one that has a discussion at the heart of it.

Good on you for putting something out there. Hope my criticism is reasonably well accepted...

hug

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
ye, actually I concur... and in fact, I didn't realise it was anywhere near that long till I started editing it. is mostly due to the fact that I went into it without a plan. I just hit record and started rabbiting on... so my first piece of advice to myself and any fellow tutorial makers, is to treat the process much like you would a choreo; plan what you're going to do ahead of time, even if only loosely.

but ahh well... I'm pretty sure there'll be a doubles newbie or two out there, who'll put themselves through it. grin

and ye... I gotta get in front of a camera more... I'm a card-carrying member of procrastinator's anonymous.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'm in the same boat. Since your technique on tutorial making seems to be quite similar to my own, perhaps you'd wanna check out the couple of ones I've made... stalls and cateyes. They're made with the same delivery, but I usually think of a few things I wanna say, bash em out and add anything I think of at the time. I really do hate referring people to my videos, but I feel the urge to if theres comparisons to be made. My delivery is far from perfect and you could learn from my mistakes as much as what I do correctly.

hug

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
thanks, I'll check em out... I won't understand them, cos poi is evil and my brain (and more so, my body) rejects it. but it'll no doubt be instructive for the pedagogy.
EDITED_BY: Pogo69 (1229428939)

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
woo pat!! smile

'FREE HUGGIES!!'