mischivismember
3 posts

Posted:
I have been doing Poi now for about 3 weeks, and I've learnt quite a lot of the technical moves but im having trouble flowing everything together!!What is the best way to learn the rythems of POI???

remember to be happy

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Music and messing about.I found that if you just spin to music and just let yourself spin the poi anyway you like you will begin to realise how certain moves are done.This might sound strange but keep on doing this and one day it will just click. You'll begin to realise that one moveand another although they mght seem totally different like windmill and weave fit together brilliantly.Be patient and enjoy oh and welcome to the family.peace outgarbo tongue------------------
quote:
"Be the change"Mahatma Ghandi

be excellent to each other: safe:

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Close your eyes while you poi. I know it sounds as if it is inviting injury but you really tend to stop watching yourself and your motions, so things aren't as technically based but tend to take on a natural flow with your body. I also agree with Garbo, good music will help but then it can be difficult to spin without it. Try to balance it out. Do a bit with music and a bit without and see if you can imagine the music when you close your eyes. It sounds kinda zen I know but it worked for me! grinLuck to ya!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mischivismember
3 posts

Posted:
I shall try both off your suggestions smile thank you smileI think the thing im finding difficult is not knowing what your doing looks like!!! I guess it doesn't really matter as long as they are spinning around!!I shall keep practicing smile

remember to be happy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
hee hee i spent the first month or so saying "whats that look like? Does this look cool?"my favorite tip: slow down and like Garbo said, definately keep a rythm. And music is a big help..something with a good soild beat to it, or even trance is cool...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i find that not having music but if you listen to music ... get it into you head then spin imagineing the music as this allows you to alther the beat and you dont have to spin to the ame speed as the music. i think pele has it spot on there. i find that closing my eyes works as well you become more awate of the poi and what you are doing as you are almost attached from the fact that if you go wrong there is a good chance you will be impotent for a week!but just play and if it goes wrong, play some more... hey its poi!