Forums > Social Chat > traditional wedding presents

Login/Join to Participate

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine's getting married back in Germany next week, and, as is German custom, they have no gifts list. When I asked if there was anything they wanted she said things like "a baby, but apart from that we're happy".

I still want to give her something though, so if any of you can give me some advice of traditional Scottish or British things that won't take up tons of space, but maybe look pretty or have a nice story attached to why people used to give that kind of thing etc, let me know please smile

Ta muchly! grouphug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
A nice clock could be nice. A clock which measures time and may their marriage stand the test of it?

Otherwise, do they have a garden? Because I think that fruit trees are wonderful, again to symbolise the marriage - something to nurture and grow, with fruit in abundance smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
As I get older I appreciate odd stuff like teatowels from places and oven mitts that are interesting. But I wouldnt have when I got married. rolleyes
Are they adventurous cooks, what about a sushi kit? (not english I know)
Nice mugs to drink from are always lovely. Over here we have a neautiful range of mugs of state emblems out of fine china. Nice to drink from and interesting to look at.
Table settings. Tablecloth and placemats.

Rouges idea is the best though. Tree or clock. Clocks are awesome

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
maybe some seeds? they could come with a nice story written by you about making their life grow together...and of course the planting of the seed for a new baby... ubbrollsmile

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
https://www.thewoodcarver.co.uk/

I got my sister and my best friend a bread board each from this guy when they got married last year.. (not to each other lol)

The guy is called Steve and he is spot on! Beautiful creations and usefull every day, should they choose to use it.. if not it looks great on a wall..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the suggestions... keep them coming, please smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
a spoon. It's easy to carry and it can be pretty helpful sometimes. O.k., the same arguments also hold true for knifes, apples, toothbrushes ... WAIT! Toothbrushes are good. It's important to brush one's teeth regularly. Especially at wedding (with all the cake ...). So I'd opt for toothbrushes and toothpaste for all wedding guests. Plan B would be a spoon.

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
sorry, Jon... there you go: spank

Happy? wink

I'd considered the baby thing myself, but I think she meant it as one whose biological parents were she and the husband-to-be.

Gah. I always thought wedding lists were a bit of a stupid pretentious idea, but now it looks like I'd prefer there to be one!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
ooh I love gifts...

cooking classes are good but maybe get them a chef for a day
latin dance lessons

picture frames, maybe with an invitation on one side and either leave it empty so they can put a wedding picture or if you have a picture of the couple

make a wedding time capsule

get them a plant and/or personalized garden stake
https://simply-sublime.com/garden_stakes.htm

they have clocks to commemorate weddings

fire pit

you could put together a weekend of love kit or spa kit

panini grill for some fantastic sandwiches

picnic set

really comfy throw blankets (personalized or not)-I love giving blankets, they always look at you funny but later on when you go to visit on a blustery day, and they are all curled up in it, it's nice to know you gave pretty and functional

a cool cutting board like someone else mentioned

coffeemaker

starter pot and pan set

camera/vidoe camera

I know I got carried away, but I love shopping for gifts, I am known in my circle for giftgiving...obviously the best thing is to think of their personality and find something that maybe other people wouldn't think of...if they have the basics already go for a giftbasket or something off the wall, but if they don't stick to more functional things...like a cutting board, if it's a wood one maybe you can have a woodburner put the date of the wedding into it...

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Dr_MollyPooh-Bah
2,354 posts

Posted:
Aurinko was right with the spoon - but clearly you need to find a runcible one

Written by: Edward Lear

They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
They danced by the light of the moon,
The moon,
The moon,
They danced by the light of the moon.

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
*yay* I was right with something bounce
I like the runcible spoon. So maybe a (runcible?) spoon together with the poem? I mean, the poem is kinda romantic ... a bit.
Spoons I really like (and consider to be extremely helpful) are the ones for camping, like, when they come together with all the other cutlery:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Because then, whereever you are, when you think "now I could have some yogurt", and you get yourself some yogurt, you can just eat it. With a spoon. And when you were shopping for groceries and it takes ages until the bus or the metro or whatever arrives, you can use the knife to already fix yourself some sandwiches at the bus stop. And so. Very useful, indeed.

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Nah, no poem. I think they're awful (maybe because my own relatives do them all the time at big occasions).

I don't really think giving them *a spoon* is going to be appreciated. A set of cutlery maybe, but then they probably have that already given that they live together, and I can't afford buying a nice one.

I was thinking about calling up her mum to find out where they were going for their honeymoon and getting something associated with that.

Gah, I don't know frown I know lots of things I'd like to get them, but I don't really have the money for them, and stuff like trees etc is just impractical given that they live in a flat in Berlin and are unlikely to have a garden that they can (by law and space) plant a tree in.

As for the cutting boards etc... maybe I shouldn't be considering what *I* would think about that, but I'd find it extremely tacky, and I'd probably never use it but feel obliged to keep it.

It's really bad that I've hardly ever seen her after school (1998 that is), otherwise I might have a better idea of what they like, and need. frown

I was really looking for advice on something "typical" people here get for a wedding, not the toaster though, maybe something traditional or so. I'll keep thinking.

I quite like faith's idea with the picture frame, still thinking about something to stick in it though.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
a fire performance!
I've only been to a wedding once (the people I know just don't get married), and there we were singing (real traditional chorus-stuff and so). Can you sing? Otherwise: you can either let something explode (given your educational background ...), or do some fire twirling. That's personal, original, and it doesn't cost you the world.

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
could do. But it's not what I'm looking for. I just want something they can actually use for something, you know? I can do fire for them anytime I see them again, regardless of the occasion. Wouldn't feel like a proper present.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
My mum would probably do the mum thing and suggest either an excellent cook book or a photo album. Or, if they're really religious, she might suggest a Bible or something like that.

However, you really can't go wrong with anything for the home and hearth when it comes to both tradition and practicality!

On the fire thing, if they have a house and they're outdoorsy, give them a fire performance and a fire related present! Like a chimenea (sp?) or a fire bowl. This way, you're giving them the hearth and fire!!! Have your cake and eat it too! (or, in this case, have your fire and spin it, too!) However, if they're nor outdoorsy, or, if they don't like fire, they'll just think you're giving yourself a present.

.... it's tough to suggest presents when you don't know anything about the couple. =/

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Tibetal singing bowl.

Just came into my head then smile

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Bible is good if they are religious then they can write the kids names in it like a family tree.

A friend from here (Perth) to a carved mirror to a wedding near Dublin. Carved local wood over a mirror.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Generally people over here get kitchen stuff.

You could get a nice set of glasses. Or, for something a bit different you could have a look at these...recycled glasses

Don't know if they're really what you're looking for, but they're not particularly expensive, and something that they won't have already, they've got some quite nice designs when you look at the goblets and flutes bit. (I have to say they look better in real life than in the pictures).

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I'll let you know if I do - good luck!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3,556 posts

Posted:
I like the throw blanket but that's just me

If you talk to her mom, you could ask for a picture of the two, then if you have the invitation you can put it on one side and a picture on the other and you have a personalized gift...If you can't get a picture right now, maybe you can find a picture of the flowers that they are using and put that next to the invitation instead of a picture of them.
Then, if they want they can later put whatever pictures they want.
gift.com is a great place. you have links to order. or they give you ideas. They have all different price ranges. They even have a section for traditional weddings.
Really, I use it whenever I get stuck on a gift

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
(Provided they drink alcohol) i suggest a good bottle of wine/whiskey(Scotch?)/brandy/something that will mature so as to be perfect to be opened on their 10th/25th/somethingth anniversary. If you choose with the advice of someone who knows about such things, and explain the significance to the recipients, they might like it.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
o.k., if the spoon is out of question, then I'd agree with faithinfire and go for the blanket. Good for sleeping and for picknicks. Maybe not with a picture of the people: after all, who wants to sit on his/her partner? But the invitation is a good idea ...

3,556 posts

Posted:
picture for the frames, but you could get the blanket embroidered with the wedding date, or if you're handy you could do it
though i like the wine that matures in 10 yrs, that's nice, and it shows them that you have faith in their marriage

Faith

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
yes, definitely a better idea to put the picture into a frame than on the blanket

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
i think the spoon thing is good... my mum and my stepdad got a spoon as a present... no really!
a welsh love spoon... its an ornate handcarved wooden spoon you hang in your house for good luck... or somthing like that

https://www.welsh-lovespoons.co.uk/english/index.html

there traditional welsh wedding presents! i knew the spoon would come good for somthing!

alternatively... make them sometihng? a painting or a phtoalbum... umm nope my minds gone blank

good luck!

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C