Forums > Social Discussion > Shows on the Morbidly Obese

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There have been some shows on Discovery/TLC/whatever lately about people who are well beyond the realm of morbid obesity. You know the ones. They're 700+lbs, can't walk, haven't been out of their homes in who knows how long.

Now, last night the show was displaying how much they eat. It was, at best, repulsive. Everything was junk or fried or both. I like those foods, sure, but damn. One man had a long table filled with greasy, nasty food. I mean FILLED. He ate in a day what a normal man should eat in a week! They were trying to make a point to him about how much he eats and instead he looked the mountain of food over and said "That's half or a quarter what I used to eat. That ain't much." He then pulled the table up to him and started gorging himself.

There were a few things that really struck us as we watched it.

One man hadn't been out of his bed/chair thingy in 10 years! I've been sick here for a few days and being stuck in place sucks rocks. I couldn't imagine more than a week, max. And I mean, he doesn't even go to the bathroom because he's so big. I'd go nuts.

Next thing that struck us was the fact that people continue to feed these people this crap. I know that they all said they order in food alot. One, who lives on the 5th floor apartment, said when his family isn't around he orders in and has a bucket-rope system outside his window. Money goes down in the bucket, the food comes up. WTF???? Board up the window, take away the phone (leave them with a phone that only allows for 911 access), give them a salad and water. What are they going to do, beat the person if they don't like it? I don't think so. Why the hell would anyone feed these people this crap? Wouldn't that be akin to manslaughter if they die?

And last, and this one pissed me off the most, these people are living on state aid because they are too heavy to work. There was one in England who has a care giver 12 hours a day provided by Social Services. That ticks me off. They can't control what they eat, they don't want to or even try and they drain public funds or take care givers who should go to someone who really needs it. And when the caregiver is gone for the night, and the guy was left with the phone, he ordered delivery junk food anyway...completely undermining the care givers work.

These weren't people who have any medical issues that cause the obesity. There were no thyroid issues or anything like that, they simply overeat. Which, now that I think about it, the show didn't mention anything about them receiving psychological care, which I think they also need.

I know depression can do crazy things to people but it seems to me that while these people are making their choices, that the people who care about them are failing them by not helping.

Thoughts?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Unless you were joking and it was too subtle for my easily offended self? confused

... simplify ...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Albertaboy,
thank you for being honest, and congratulations on losing the weight. Like you, I put on weight, realised I needed to lose it again, and managed to lose 45lbs.
However, I would disagree with you about "fat people" being ugly on the inside and lacking character.
I think that's such a horrible generalisation to make.
I know many people who are obese for so many different reasons, for example Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: which makes gaining weight so easy, but losing it a near impossibility.

To categorise people based on their shape is just pointless. To call these people ugly and repulsive doesn't help.

Yes, some people may be mentally ill perhaps and turn to food for comfort, that's certainly what I did. It was the only thing that didn't necessarily make me happy, but it distracted me from the mental anguish I was in. I can completely understand how people can get very big.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

AlbertaBoyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
No Icarus, I wasn't joking.

And jo rhymes, I realize I was making a generalization, and generalizations are inaccurate, that's what makes them generalizations. I realize people gain weight for reasons other than laziness and poor character, but I believe for the most part people gain weight due to laziness and poor character, which I believe, makes my generalization correct, as correct as a blanket statement can be.

I realize that name calling isn't positive. Calling someone repulsive for being fat is rude, which is why I never do it to anyones face, I treat people the same regardless of how disgusting they look. But I also think that obesity is a problem so bad that we have t be honest and call it like it is. A lot of people just don't want to be honest about obesity. There is always an excuse as to why someone is fat, and it's never their fault. People need to see obesity for what it is, they need to see that it is the individuals fault (except in rare cases), and it is the individuals responsibility to fix it on their own.

As for as not calling it what it is, get this...I was talking to a mother of a 5 year-old who is 75 lbs. The mother was telling me that she just can't understand why her child is so big and that it must be a thyroid problem. MEANWHILE... this child at the very same time I am talking with the mother is filling his face with chocolate. Chewing on a huge piece of chocolate, bigger than his head, chocolate shrapnel is flying all over the place, a huge mess on the floor, on the kids face, and yes, his cheeks look like they are trying to swallow his face. This is happening right in front of the mother who is making no attempts to stop her child and insists that his obesity is a thyroid problem.

If people are ever going to kick this problem, they need to stop blaming outside circumstances. No one is saying that outside circumstances don't exist, but they are so relatively rare that I just can't believe that one third of the population has a thyroid problem.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: AlbertaBoy

People need to see obesity for what it is, they need to see that it is the individuals fault (except in rare cases), and it is the individuals responsibility to fix it on their own.

If people are ever going to kick this problem, they need to stop blaming outside circumstances. No one is saying that outside circumstances don't exist, but they are so relatively rare that I just can't believe that one third of the population has a thyroid problem.

so are you suggesting one third of the population have poor personal responsibility? surely when you mention such statistics you have to realise there is more to this problem than just people being lazy. umm

i assume from you saying this that you've had no training in healthcare? i'm seven weeks into a nursing degree and i can tell you obesity is NOT just the individuals fault, nor is it JUST the individuals responsability to fix.

why do you think the entire population of western civilisation is getting obese? thats one hell of a lot of people making 'individual' problems for themselves. why dont you ask yourself why fresh fruit and vegetables are more expensive than fast food like macdonalds or pizza? because governments could choose to subsidize such products, yet they do not. why does the US school system feed its children cheap processed foods instead of healthy fruit and vege? why should people living in cities have to pay to go to a gym when there should be more parks for people to play and exercise in? why is the current generation of youth more interested in sitting in front of screens than getting out and living life? why is it that the fruit and vege assoc in the US have an advertising budget of $200 000 when pepsi has one of 2 million?

all these aspects involve SOCIETY dictating what choices people can make in their lives, and what influences people have pushed on them when making these decisions.

theres a hell of a lot more at work here than just 'personal responsibility. and until people like YOU open their eyes to see the problems that our society is making for themselves nothing is going to change.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
jolly good post Mr Majestik smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
biggrin *bows*

i was proud of it smile

rainbowgirlmember
70 posts

Posted:
there is also the fact that people are designed, from an evolutionary standpoint, to store calories because in the dimmest distant history of humans (and the creatures from which humans evolved) had only sparodic access to food - depending on the seasons, availability of people to form a hunting party, social status and so on - so being able to store extra calories as fat was enormously benefitial, but they simply did not have enough extra calories to provide so much fat that it could not be worked off in the normal course of life. But now almost everybody who has regular access to food (and eats that food, before anyone mentions anorexics) eats in one sitting enough to sustain their life for quite sometime - and thats without over eating at all - although people will feel hungry every few hours, or at least after a few days, without eating it would take much longer for you to actually need food to stave off death - you might lack certain nutrients which does have health risks and you wont be able to carry out your routine maintainence so cuts wont heal well but you wont die for want of food for weeks! This is a mismatch that if nature were allowed to take its course would be solved by natural selection in due course, but these days people interfere with nature and even people who are grossly unfit for their environment survive and reproduce.

There are a lot of social issues also - predominantly obese people are from lower social classes, poorly educated, have few prospects and resources and no reason not to be the size of a small hippo, many 'reformed' fat people lost the weight when they found a reason to be slim, which has little to do with better information about healthy choices or lifestyles but more because they realise that their size is preventing them from achieving something - either an ambition to be a particular something or just wanting to be able to play wiht their children without drowning in sweat! This is different from comfort eaters stopping when they come out of the depression (or whatever) it relates to different causes and different effects.

I would say more but its lunchtime!

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars

"To alcohol, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems!"

AlbertaBoyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
When it comes to social problems, I think it is interesting that the extreme left will usually want to blame society, or in rare cases, unconfirmed history of “evolution”, while the extreme right will almost always want to blame the individual. It's like with homelessness, the left will blame society for not being there with affordable housing and the right will tell the homeless person to get a job. I would assume that the truth is probably somewhere in the middle...

But while I'm replying, I just have to comment on something that I can't stop laughing about. Mr. Majestik, you asked, “why is it that the fruit and vege assoc in the US have an advertising budget of $200 000 when pepsi has one of 2 million?” Well, you see, Pepsi(PEP-N) is a publicly traded company, currently trading at $64.57 a share giving it a total market cap of $105,750,808,900.00. It generates over 35 billion in yearly revenue and pockets 7 billion in yearly profit. While the fruit and vege assoc in the US is nothing. Nothing. LOL. I hope everyone sees the humor in this. If you want the government to subsidize healthy food, I'm sure there is a nice communist country that you could move to... Cuba is accepting immigrants...they have to replace all the people that are trying to swim to the USA.

Disclaimer: The previous message was NOT meant as hate towards any of the following groups – liberals, conservatives, evolutionists, non-evolutionists, individuals, homeless people, people with houses, society, people who have jobs, people who don't have jobs, Mr. Majestik, people who are not Mr. Majestik, share holders of pepsi, non-share holders of pepsi, employees and non-employees of the fruit and vege assoc of the US, vegetarians, carnivores, Cuba, communists, capitalists, Americans and (deep breath) deep sea swimmers...oh and of course, people who don't swim.

hahahahahaha

Sealeymember
30 posts

Posted:
It makes me pretty sick. It's amazing how they do it, I'm underweight and need to put on weight but no matter how much I eat it just doesn't make any difference!
Fat people should have a minimum clothes limit so that we don't have to look at their kebab legs or bingo wings or just repulsiveness in the hotter months. Either that or we should make "fat ghettos" where lardasses get put away from the normal-amount-eating section of society.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sealey

It makes me pretty sick. It's amazing how they do it, I'm underweight and need to put on weight but no matter how much I eat it just doesn't make any difference!
Fat people should have a minimum clothes limit so that we don't have to look at their kebab legs or bingo wings or just repulsiveness in the hotter months. Either that or we should make "fat ghettos" where lardasses get put away from the normal-amount-eating section of society.

are you for real???

i mean i have views on the morbidly obese but i keep them to myself, and yes i do find it sometimes funny waching programs like "fat camp" and "i know what you ate last summer" where the people get all upsett because they cant have a pack of crisps.

on the other hand the best program i have seen was "fat men can't hunt" they took a mixed group out to africa and they spent weeks with a tribe, it actually taught them something as well as helping them to loose weight.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Sealey,

if you want to put on weight, have you thought about weight training exercises.
If you can build muscle, then you are putting on weight.

As for your remark about overweight people, there's no need for that.

Sealeymember
30 posts

Posted:
man, my shot at humour fails again. No, I wasn't serious, sorry for any offence caused *shuffles away*.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
we generally recommend that you use smiley faces to indicate humor(though it wasn't really funny), but that way you can avoid offending people.
no problem, we've all been there bounce

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ditto
your comedian ways suck. Insulting people isn't funny.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:

But while I'm replying, I just have to comment on something that I can't stop laughing about. Mr. Majestik, you asked, “why is it that the fruit and vege assoc in the US have an advertising budget of $200 000 when pepsi has one of 2 million?” Well, you see, Pepsi(PEP-N) is a publicly traded company, currently trading at $64.57 a share giving it a total market cap of $105,750,808,900.00. It generates over 35 billion in yearly revenue and pockets 7 billion in yearly profit. While the fruit and vege assoc in the US is nothing. Nothing. LOL. I hope everyone sees the humor in this. If you want the government to subsidize healthy food, I'm sure there is a nice communist country that you could move to... Cuba is accepting immigrants...they have to replace all the people that are trying to swim to the USA.

mate, that question was rhetorical. it was pointing out the vast differences in healthy food advertising and junk food advertising. advertising is a tool used to sell a product, and if a junk food company is spending more money to sell its product than a fruit and vege group, it follows that people will probably be eating more junk food. its common knowledge that junkfood is not overly good for you, so the consumption of more junkfood is eventually going to spiral down to a larger society. i know there are many other factors, thats why i gave other social examples, it was you that picked on this one (only one of many). but fact that advertising is used to sway the opinions of a populous toward food that is on the whole bad for them is a precise example of why you are wrong when you say
 Written by: Albertaboy

People need to see obesity for what it is, they need to see that it is the individuals fault (except in rare cases)

so the humour that you saw at face value seemling blinded you from the very relevant point i was making, which is sad, but i guess couldnt be helped.

Disclaimer: The previous message was NOT meant as hate towards any of the following groups...., Mr. Majestik, people who are not Mr. Majestik...

ubblol

3,556 posts

Posted:
Note: i'm seeing more commercials advertising yummy looking veggies and fruits...i think i am going to go find me some berries

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

AlbertaBoyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

mate, that question was rhetorical. it was pointing out the vast differences in healthy food advertising and junk food advertising. advertising is a tool used to sell a product, and if a junk food company is spending more money to sell its product than a fruit and vege group, it follows that people will probably be eating more junk food. its common knowledge that junkfood is not overly good for you, so the consumption of more junkfood is eventually going to spiral down to a larger society. i know there are many other factors, thats why i gave other social examples, it was you that picked on this one (only one of many).

Oooooh! okay. Now I think I get your point. What you're saying, is that the individual should not have to carry all the blame for obesity when there is enormous external circumstances that can easily effect the health and weight of the individual. Or perhaps more accurately, “If obesity is a problem of our society (and it is), then society should take it's share of the responsibility for fixing that problem.” If that is your point then I can see what you're saying. You make sense.

But as I stated before, the left will blame society and right will blame the individual. Myself, coming from the right, would say that individuals make up society, individuals have made it what it is, and therefore it is the individuals fault. If individuals would stop buying a drink that is 40% sugar and 3% black dye #2, than Pepsi wouldn't have such a huge advertising budget. Free market economy means individuals dictate through their will what kind of society we have. Individuals want to eat more junk food than healthy food meaning that junk food can be produced in mass amounts cheaper than healthy food because the demand is there. The choices made by many individuals have created problems that affect all of society.

Also, if a serpent tells you to eat a forbidden apple, (or bag of cheesies, as the case may be) is that person any less to blame for eating the apple? If 300 people tell me walk into a college class room, chain the door, and kill 32 people, and I do it, am I less any less guilty of murder? People are still responsible for their choices no matter how extreme the external circumstances.

My point is that if more people took personal responsibility for their choices, they would be more empowered to fix the problem. If you're going to sit on the couch, eat a bag of chezzy poofs and blame Mcdonalds, the government and evolution for you're being over-weight, the problem will never be fixed. I think that is something that everyone can agree on.

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
*Feeling rant coming up!*

-I go to the market and buy bags full of fruit and veggies that will easily last me a week and it costs less than a tenner! So, going to Fast Food places for money reasons is a lame excuse.
Ok, if there's no market or fruit and veggie shop near you, remember that it's the packaging that costs money. Take a big bag with you to the supermarket and fill it with loose, unwrapped fruits and veggies. And if you go near closing time, many fresh items will be prized down!

-Am I, like Sealey, just very lucky, being able to eat anything and staying on the edge of underweightness? Maybe. But could it be that my fast metabolism is caused by my way of life? I do yoga in the morning before breakfast. I cycle or walk everywhere I go and I do some other sport too. I eat crisps only once a week, not everyday with lunch. Ok, I do eat chocolate everyday but that's my only vice. Honestly, it's not that difficult.

-No, I don't blame obese people for what they are. I blame the parents. It's chocking how some people feed their children, starting as young as babies!

Am I still on topic? I'm gonna stop now before losing the plot.

Just wanna say that as offended people were at what Sealey said and even if it was a joke (and now you're all allowed to hate me), I'm glad someone was brave enough to say it because in our world of political correctness, I'm often thinking similar stuff but just never put it in words!

*End of rant.*

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
There is something about obesity that keeps getting to me, and it's the response of modern medicine to the evidence.

The evidence in the medical literature has shown time and time again: Diet and Exercise, when applied to real-world situations, just don't work. People lose weight and then they relax just a bit and it comes right back on. As a man who lost 50 lbs about 7 years ago now, I can tell you about the kind of work it's taken for me to keep it off, and the fight has not always been successful. I mean I have to put an hour and a half in the pool six days a week. That sort of discipline is simply too much to ask of most people, especially since most slender people don't have to do that sort of exercise to stay slender.

The evidence has shown clearly that there is one weight loss strategy that is over 90% effective in making people lose weight and keep it off. You're not going to like it, though; it's bariatric surgery.

Yup. Surgery. Oh sure it's not 100% effective (duh; nothing is) but it WORKS. And yet the medical community has ignored the powerful evidence about how successful it is. In order to get bariatric surgery you have to go through weight loss program after weight loss program and fail them all, then you have to get insurance clearance (which is like trying to get the Pharoh to free the Israelites), then psychiatric clearance, etc. etc. etc. But I know a few people who have had it done and it's done wonders for them.

You're horrified. I'm recommending that bariatric surgery be moved up to first-line therapy? Well, not exactly, but perhaps it should be much easier to get than it is.

More importantly, what does this tell us about obesity? If it's a problem that basically almost certainly requires a surgical treatment, then maybe it's not solely a factor of lifestyle choices. Maybe it's time to start thinking about obesity as a genetic disorder. It certainly runs in families.

And maybe it's time to start thinking about whether this could be a good target for gene therapy.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PlugInClairey

i totally agree with what you're saying about loved ones/family members, there was a fairly high profile case in ireland recently about an 8year old boy who was something like 14 stone, obviously not as serious as some of the 700lb stories you've mentioned, but still a crazy amount for a child to weigh.

basically, the child was about to be taken into care because his mother wasnt able to stop feeding him.

when a child is that young, i think the majority of the blame has to be laid at the foot of their parents, by eating so much at 8yrs old he was only doing what he'd been brought up to do and didnt know any better

Just putting that in perspective, I'm 18 years old, 5'10" and quite broad, I weigh 11 stone.

An eight year old should not be three stone heavier than an eighteen year old under any circumstances.
EDITED_BY: Wooktastic (1177202556)

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

There is something about obesity that keeps getting to me, and it's the response of modern medicine to the evidence.

The evidence in the medical literature has shown time and time again: Diet and Exercise, when applied to real-world situations, just don't work. People lose weight and then they relax just a bit and it comes right back on. As a man who lost 50 lbs about 7 years ago now, I can tell you about the kind of work it's taken for me to keep it off, and the fight has not always been successful. I mean I have to put an hour and a half in the pool six days a week. That sort of discipline is simply too much to ask of most people, especially since most slender people don't have to do that sort of exercise to stay slender.

The evidence has shown clearly that there is one weight loss strategy that is over 90% effective in making people lose weight and keep it off. You're not going to like it, though; it's bariatric surgery.

Yup. Surgery. Oh sure it's not 100% effective (duh; nothing is) but it WORKS. And yet the medical community has ignored the powerful evidence about how successful it is. In order to get bariatric surgery you have to go through weight loss program after weight loss program and fail them all, then you have to get insurance clearance (which is like trying to get the Pharoh to free the Israelites), then psychiatric clearance, etc. etc. etc. But I know a few people who have had it done and it's done wonders for them.

You're horrified. I'm recommending that bariatric surgery be moved up to first-line therapy? Well, not exactly, but perhaps it should be much easier to get than it is.

More importantly, what does this tell us about obesity? If it's a problem that basically almost certainly requires a surgical treatment, then maybe it's not solely a factor of lifestyle choices. Maybe it's time to start thinking about obesity as a genetic disorder. It certainly runs in families.

And maybe it's time to start thinking about whether this could be a good target for gene therapy.

And yet, in scenarios where food is natural, basic and scarce, such as primitive hunter-gatherer cultures, obesity is inknown.

You're right that diets don't work- leading only to short-term weight loss- much of which is muscle tissue rather than the intended fat (muscle weighs considerably more than fat, thus muscle loss looks good on the scales).

This of course messes with the metabolism and is unhealthy- when the diet is over weight is regained, and usually consists of fat.

What's needed is a way of eating that can be maintained for life- a pre-requisite of this is that it isn't unpleasant or involve feeling deprived, cos, unlike the usual diets, it's got to be for life.

The majority of people, if they stick primarily to natural food consisting mainly of vegetable and fruit prepared without fat/frying or with added sugar etc, will find it impossible to be obese.

That involves a commitment to changing ones habitual ways of eating, but, at worst, it would be a similar level to that required to quit smoking i.e. perfectly achievable if they're serious about it.

Of course, an alternative is to continue to eat obesity-promoting foods prepared in obesity-promoting ways, as is common in the modern west and then to recifiy it with surgery- and maybe that will become the standard way of dealing with the problem. Personally I don't think it's the best way.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

3,556 posts

Posted:
imo the fact that obesity was unknown in early times is a stretch in comparison to today's times.
it is because people had to search for their food, kill or pick their food, clean their food, then smoosh some food for bread products, find wood/coals, find water, cook it
people had to farm or garden for their lives
people at higher calories but they moved more...they plowed, they walked on foot, rode horses, later rode bikes, people smoked all sorts of things, and drank homemade beers, meads, wines, and `shines

move more

Faith

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

And yet, in scenarios where food is natural, basic and scarce, such as primitive hunter-gatherer cultures, obesity is inknown.

Well, of course. That's why obesity exists in the first place. It exists because of circumstances in which scarcity is the rule. These people develop "thrifty metabolisms" that burn less energy and conserve more. They also develop a tendency to eat everything in sight in preparation for the next famine.

And this is why over 90% of the Pima Indians got fat as soon as they no longer had to run around and hunt and gather their food. It's genetics.

Oh sure it's environment, too. But you can't alter the environment back to a time of scarcity. So we either have to start tinkering with genes or with innards.

But your contention is that this is all about willpower. I would argue that it's not so much about willpower. In fact, it might be almost as hard to control as adult height.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

3,556 posts

Posted:
heeeeey
i just said that
grrr

Faith

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

imo the fact that obesity was unknown in early times is a stretch in comparison to today's times.
it is because people had to search for their food, kill or pick their food, clean their food, then smoosh some food for bread products, find wood/coals, find water, cook it
people had to farm or garden for their lives
people at higher calories but they moved more...they plowed, they walked on foot, rode horses, later rode bikes, people smoked all sorts of things, and drank homemade beers, meads, wines, and `shines

move more

Written by: Doc Lightning

Well, of course. That's why obesity exists in the first place. It exists because of circumstances in which scarcity is the rule. These people develop "thrifty metabolisms" that burn less energy and conserve more. They also develop a tendency to eat everything in sight in preparation for the next famine.

And this is why over 90% of the Pima Indians got fat as soon as they no longer had to run around and hunt and gather their food. It's genetics.

Oh sure it's environment, too. But you can't alter the environment back to a time of scarcity. So we either have to start tinkering with genes or with innards.

But your contention is that this is all about willpower. I would argue that it's not so much about willpower. In fact, it might be almost as hard to control as adult height.

Firstly, in my view it's nothing to do with willpower- I've never rated will-power as a particularly effective way to deal with any habitual behaviour.

It's purely about effectively addressing that habitual behaviour; approaches based on willpower or that make one feel deprived, are unlikely to be viable long-term solutions.

Where evolutionary considerations are concerned, what I was getting at is that obesity is a manifestation of modern dietaery dysfunction- for the majority.

As evidence, reflect on the fact that the US (for example), does not merely have far greater levels of obesity than a primitive tribal person or modern-day African- it has greater levels than, say, the average European.

There's no genetic reason why the US should have more obesity than other modern cultures and it's not down to those other cultures being deprived of food.

It's the type and the kind of food- the habitual dietry habits- that cause the majority of obesity issues.

I accept that a minority of obesity problems may be primarily genetic- but that does not account for the current growing levels; neither is it, IMO, a particularly empowering aspect to focus on for most sufferers.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
a lot to say, but i dont have the time (damn uni frown ) i'll be back though! i've favourited this thread.

3,556 posts

Posted:
if you look at the ratio of uk and other worldly folk vs usa people, there are less
imo usa folk move less too, so again move more
i, on the other hand, shall stay seated until i can gain some weight...where are my chips

Faith

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Oh faith, hush! wink tongue

I have lots to say too but since I am getting ready for opening festie weekend this weekend, I've not the time to type the book I shall be prone to.

Be afraid! Be very afraid! devil

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
*bump*

thought I'd reopen this can of worms!

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Why Jo? looking for a scrap? wink
Or was it all for me to get pedantic about this:

Written by :onewheeldave

(muscle weighs considerably more than fat, thus muscle loss looks good on the scales).

Erm... One pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as one pound of fat.

(muscle is denser, 1 cubic inch of muscle weighs more than 1 cubic inch of fat)
Other common misconceptions that need debunking:
exercise turns fat into muscle
sloth turns muscle into fat.

Yea, right, and the philosopher's stone turns base metals into gold. They are different cell types, they don't miraculously transmute.

Point being is that many folks gained their "knowledge" of (well, most things actually) from overly simplistic media, and that if the west* is to cease its descent into morbid obesity then significantly better mass education has to occur. It's not really that difficult to get started - "calories in=calories used" is a pretty straightforward notion (OK, so complicated by different metabolic rates) to get across to folk, isn't it?

*Yes, pretty much the whole of the west, it's traditionally been easy to point the finger at "the Americans" (because all 300million are exactly the same) as the obese nation, but the UK certainly doesn't have a moral high ground here
(20% of boys and 26% of girls aged 3-19 overweight, 4.8% of boys, 6.8% of girls in the same age group obese - office of national statistics survey in 2000, with data showing upward trends). We're all heading for hell in a handcart made of fried potatoes...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Page: