FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It's not a Poi - It's not a Meteor... it's something in-between. I did a search and might guess that somebody has already touched the topic, but I'm not sure.

The origin of this might (most likely) come from Kung-Fu, where a person is handling a long rope with a dart at the end.

This, as visualisation

Now, IF we replace the rope with a chain and the dart with a monkey fist... whadda we get?

A "Single Meteor"... IMO perfect, if the last bit of the chain is a fire rope (whereas manipulation get extremely complex then)...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

The origin of this might (most likely) come from Kung-Fu, where a person is handling a long rope with a dart at the end.

Its called a rope dart wink

I play quite a bit with one. (I made a few monkeyfist rope balls for people at Play last year).

There's also a couple of topics about it already smile

[Old link]

I think there's a few people with fire darts on here already. The best way to do it is...

monkey fist - small section of chain - rope

OOO

OOO------#####################################################

OOO

Tie a monkey fist knot in the end of a rope and have a play - its really good fun biggrin

*Geo*SILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
I think there's a couple of threads about rope dart actually, but if you don't have anyone to learn rope dart off, I reccomend finding a wushu dvd that teaches rope dart to learn some of the moves. Then incorporate some poi like turns & stalls to link them all cool

psycotic_furbyBRONZE Member
Hehe, you said 'Member'
105 posts

Posted:
I'm fairly certain Steaks was chucking one of these round at Falmouth last year... Or did I dream it...

Eww, Liza Minelli...

The communists gave my mother a job, teaching sculpture to limbless children.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Rope dart is becoming bigger and bigger at the moment around here.

Fairly sure there is some footage of my mate james on this video doing some basic Rope Dart but cant remember how much got put on...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pl22EJaYxo

He is getting some incredible wraps now

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

*Geo*SILVER Member
108 posts

Posted:
yeah,there was a bit of rope darting going on a Fal last year. I even brought my fire rope dart down which a few people (inc me) played with on the beach smile

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Or you can make a really big one like this.
Chris

Basketball sized fireball on the end of a chain. It's been around since 2000.
biggrin ubbloco

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Eeehaa! clap

I like it! Looks like massive flame... You have a daylight picture? wink I also love the pic of the dude spinning with the cowboy hat (you?) shows once more how divers the community really is! hug

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
It's the same design as our Canonballs, but larger. Here is a pic, the Canonball is on the left, 5' of 2" wick poi head on the far right for scale. Pic1

I also made Him a Fire Flag. Much the same concept except it's a flag at the end of a chain Kevlar flag

It's like attaching a chain to a bonfire and spinning it around. You can't do many tricks, but you don't really need to. Fire Flag in action
biggrin

Cody Canon

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Curious...I was going to comment on that dude in the cowboy hat pic too..but all I could think ofto say was..."Wow..there's someone spinning fire who looks even older and more redneckish than me"

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Oh I forgot to comment on him. That's Justin he grew up in Elko Nevada. It's about as rural as you get. He taught himself fire spinning and then joined us in Reno. He is a true character, hardcore but gracefull. He even has a fan club. biggrin

Cody Canon

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
add me wink ubblol

Dudes like him earn my respect, no matter HOW redneckish they might be... clap

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted: