SeventyMilesBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
SINCE all of you had some good input in the past, i have a question. i would like to make something of my life and become a profesisonal athlete someday. what steps do you think i should take mentally, and n e other suggestions. BTW im on my college track team and im an 18 year old freshman, im still young.

"A beautiful day. When it ends nothing remains the way it was..."

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Well for a start, you need to chose a sport? Have you decided on track? Because there are certainly other sports out there, and particularly given your age, your options are unfortunately limited.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

SeventyMilesBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
ya, track and field, to be specific, the decathlon

"A beautiful day. When it ends nothing remains the way it was..."

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
If you want it enough and you have an appropriate build and metabolism it'll happen. You just need to be a bit obsessed.

Do you think about nothing except atheletics?

Do you feel frustrated if a day goes by and you haven't stretched or trained?

Does losing really upset you?

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't know much about track and field, and because I don't know the level you are at, it is hard to say, because most sports usually require an almost-professional, if not professional level at your age. (rowing doesn't, in case you want to try that tongue )

I think the first thing you need to do is to investigate the age in which people in your chosen sport peak. You can probably find that out by asking your coach or researching on the internet. From there you can work out a year plan as to what you want to do.

I think that you need to find a good coach. Not just a general club coach. If you want to get somewhere you need to get yourself an elite coach, and unfortunately these often cost money. And and elite coach will help you on that year plan and will put you on a training schedule, and possibly a diet as well. Expect to train at least daily, probably more.

I can drill into you how much work it is going to be, but I am sure you know that already.

As for mentally, as you get higher, there are sports psychologists which are a fantastic help. But until you get there you have to stick to it alone. And for something like decathlon, it's going to be very alone, so I suggest finding a squad to train with. Mentally you need to focus on goals, and not let small things get you down. Most people don't get very far until they've been training for a few years so don't let things like that get you down. something else you need to be able to mentally deal with is the physical pain and working through that. but again, you probably know that.

socially you need to be prepared that your social life will suffer. sorry, can't put rose coloured glasses on there. elite sport is leaving parties early and even missing out on them. but it's part of the sacrifices you make in yourself.

that's all i can think of for now!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ive known a couple of professional triathletes - the thing which struck me, was that their sport was their life. that was it. almost every spare minute of their time was either training physically or preparing mentally for the next race. their social lives, and other interests outside triathlons suffered massively because they were so focussed on their sport.

that seems to be the level to focus required to succeed in any sport professionally nowadays.
if thats the level of dedication that you have - go for it - personally i get distracted by too many wierd and wonderful hobbies to have that sort of dedicated focus.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Having a training partner helps, you'll need someone to give you motivation when all yours has drained... Someone to keep up with when the temptation to give up is too strong, someone to tell you it's okay if you miss a training sessiom or to tell you off so you don't have to beat yourself up about it...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Hi mate, what kind of point tally do you get in decathlon?
I competed at my nationals when I was younger at decathlon and used to represent the UK at High jump at junior level.

I used to know the British olympic medalist at Decathlon Dean Macey and at 18 he was scoring average 1000 points per event so about 2m in high jump, over 7 metres in long jump, 60m in javelin, 4 metres in pole vault etc...

my advice is to check out your competition in your age groups, how many youth internationals have you done so far?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.