Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > turning and moving without hitting yourself?

Login/Join to Participate

stefffffffnewbie
1 post

Posted:
hey!

ok, so i can do most of the moves that are in the lessons section but find it really hard to go from one into the other (in a routine) and moving around rather than just standing on one spot. Can anyone help me with this, its really annoying not being able to work my poi into a routine, and having to just stand in one place and nearly stopping after each move! Is there anything that you can add in that makes moving around whilst spinning easier?

Hope that makes sense and thanks!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
if you're having problems hitting yourself, your best bet is to work on planes and learn everything forward and reverse
[Old link]

alternatively invest in a copy of 'scales of poi' I believe that has a good explanation of planes with moving pictures too!

hope that helps, and goodluck! smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
Simple solution:
Don't think of the poi moves as separate "moves." Instead, think of them as patterns.

To better learn how to transition, try not to switch from, say, forward weave to backwards weave. Instead, think of continuing the pattern of one poi following another on the side of your body, turning your body around and smoothly transitioning to the next pattern.

Or, if you prefer, you could emphasize the jerky, transitionless nature of your poi-ing by using a whole heap of a lot of stalls to go from one move to another.

The first option would be the choice of most of the poi community.

Just put on some music. It'll help you loosen up your poi-ing to the point where you can flow from move to move.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
and not just patterns of hand movements, think about the circles. A circle will naturally want to stay in its own plane same as a bike wheel stands up when you spin it, so try not to interrupt the circles too much just vary the speed & location of them.

Another thing I find with a lot of people is that they tense up when turning and one arm stays locked still. Try practicing the transition with without poi (try sticks) so your arms know where they need to end up automatically.

dj_sacrific3SILVER Member
10 posts

Posted:
i would also suggest picking up the Scales of Poi dvd by nick woosley. Load's of really really solid advice. It helped me tremendously. the dvd is also great because each time you watch it through you learn something new, i've had the dvd since it was released and i am still learning everytime i watch it.

<S.kill> ÐJ_Sacrific3

HiltunenBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Muskelunge offered music as help, that is a good idea. I've never tought about pois movement as patterns, more as circels and mostly as movement that flows on its own when given power, you're only showing it its direction. I started letting poi move me, then when I got the touch to it (felt from my fingers where it wanted to go), it was easy to control it without hitting my self.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Its also not just about forcing the poi into planes... try moving your body around the planes too, this helps with the flow from one move to another.

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ubblol did anyone even look at the thread I posted? it's really interesting... wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
Practice and patience.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
Learn to move with the poi. Figure out waht it wants to do naturaly, then move to avoid the path it wants to take. And pay attention to what you do, sometimes things happen by accident if you were paying attention to what you did that made it move like that it's alot easier to get it to do that on que.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
turn everything

T meditate ubbloco

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti